Any historical sites in /nearby your town?

In our nearby town, 15km away, there are still escavation sites where Ancient Roman remains are being found.
These are photos of monuments from that era. The other photo is a typical street in the historical centre of our small town, surrounded by Ancient Roman walls.

The Trajan Arch built in 114DC to commemorate Emperor Trajan when a famous road was built by the Romans, connecting Rome to the far South of the country. It runs through our town and nearby villages.

One of two Egyptian obelisks (88/89DC), in honor of Isis, the eternal Goddess of Egypt and Rome. These obelisks were part of the doors leading to a temple built by the Romans, the remains of which, are still to be discovered.

Which era are your historical sites from? :smiley:

7 Likes

The whole of my area of West Sussex was Roman, and as such many historical sites exist. A famous one is Fishbourne Roman Palace/Villa.

This is a floor found at Bignor Roman Villa👇

2 Likes

Just 5 minutes drive from my house Bunratty Castle is a large 15th-century tower house in County Clare, Ireland. It is located in the centre of Bunratty village,

6 Likes

I am surrounded with castles being on the south coast of the UK. this is what is known as 1066 county and Battle of Hastings being famous . most castles were burnt down by Oliver Cromwell when fighting the Royalists but the walls still stand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxW8OiUdTKMPevensey castle wall

to name but three and here are many more

5 Likes

@realspeed You are also historically wealthy with Cinque Ports and their architecture.
cinque ports - Liberal Dictionary

3 Likes

What a great thread Rose… :+1:
So interesting, I’m just off out in a moment but I’ll do a bit more research later.
But for now…There’s this castle about ten miles away…

With the lack of painting and decorating I’ve done over the last few years, Mrs Fox reckons that our house is more like a ‘historical site’…
:open_mouth:
Unnecessary!.. :009:

3 Likes

Portchester Castle is not a million miles away from where I live.

A nice place to walk around on a nice day.

5 Likes

I live in York , we’ve had the romans and the vikings, new discoveries are always being made…

4 Likes

This Roman Ridge:

https://i.imgur.com/zPZ1fNk.jpg

We walk it every day.

5 Likes

What lovely photos you’ve all been posting, thanks everyone. :hugs: Beautiful places! :smiley:

I regret not having visited more of the UK when I lived in London. If I were to visit in the near future - need to get a passport first though :roll_eyes: - , I would go to London for just one day and spend the rest of the holiday visiting other towns, from North to South, especially all the castles. :smiley:

Thanks @OldGreyFox, I thought it would be a fascinating topic for everyone to join in.

2 Likes

What a fabulous thread, @Rose! You must never tire of wandering those streets and pondering the past!

Since we are a babe of a country, these sites are treasures of wonder to me. Although we live in one of the oldest settlements in the country, settled in the 16th century, our oldest building, thanks to hurricanes and the decay of high temperatures and humidity was built only in 1810.

Castles, churches, memorials, lanes, mosaics…amazing!

2 Likes

We are knee deep in Castles up here on the edge.
It’s estimated Scotland has more than 1,500 castles scattered across its rugged landscapes, with the earliest structures dating to the 12th century. While many stand in ruins, others have been restored and transformed into living museums that attract lovers of history, architecture, and manicured gardens.
There are several near us, the nearest being what’s left of Thurso Castle. A few miles to the East is the Castle of Mey that the Queen Mum bought as her bolt hole after her husband died. Charles still stays there when he’s up here in Caithness. A few castles over in Wick I used to walk around with the dog when I was over that way, there are castles dotted all over the place here, but my favourite is Dunnottar Castle on the East Coast.

4 Likes

Yep, Hampton Court Palace is not a million miles away. Quite magnificent, it almost exudes history.

th-49524568

Also what a place for fishing! The Thames is shallow and non tidal, the palace makes a magnificent backdrop for a spot of angling.

I seriously must pay a visit during the autumn, a lovely time of year!

4 Likes

@Chilliboot I used to have that historical building and its environs on my patch when I was with Royal Palaces. It’s a pity the whole complex is not opened up to the public to help pay its way. Kew Palace & Gardens were administered from HCP as the area HQ.

2 Likes

Yes I have seen some of the private areas on the box if I remember correctly. The kitchen is staggering, I only wish I could have sampled some of the fare way back when! :yum:

4 Likes

Yes, but some of the staggering would have derived from the grot that would have accompanied the food of that period. Our mollycoddled innards would not be able to withstand the onslaught as did our forefathers around that period.

3 Likes

That’s another way of looking at it😉 Also very, very tough working in hospitality in those days.

2 Likes

Our Roman theater, where concerts are held during the Summer. All types: orchestras playing classical music or pop/rock concerts, or important events. Last July, I went to see a famous Italian pop singer /guitarist, magical atmosphere and great music. :smiley:

fs440x440px-Roman_Theatre_Benevento_14
fs440x440px-Roman_Theatre_Benevento_16
caption

4 Likes

Yes, Hampton Court is not far from London, I’ve never visited though. I’ve just seen all the usual places everyone sees when visiting London. I spent a month once in Ardingly, Haywards Heath, for a Summer job, it was July and it rained every single day but I remember it was a lovely little town, it was great having a break from a noisy city.We visited Brighton while I was there and also Lewes which I remember being a pretty little village, didn’t have time to visit the castle unfortunately, we were just passing through.

Oh I’ve been to Windsor Castle, on a school trip :grinning:

2 Likes

What an amazing place to enjoy an event, stunning. I’m sitting here drinking my morning coffee getting itchy feet! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like