Any historical sites in /nearby your town?

Yep, Ardingly is just down the road from us, there’s a lovely reservoir to walk around. Lewes is a treat, a world of it’s own. The ‘true’ residents take their heritage very seriously.

4 Likes

I was wondering what festival they were celebrating in those photos, I looked it up and I found out that Lewes is the Bonfire capital of the world, wow. :smiley:

Yes, the atmosphere of open-air concerts in an ancient theater is definitely an emotional experience.

2 Likes

The Brooklyn Bridge in New York City. The bridge opened in 1883. It is a steel wire suspension type bridge. It allows pedestrian, cyclists and motor vehicle traffic.

3 Likes

And of course, Edinburgh Castle:

I did my degree with the University. Then my daughter and her boyfriend.

3 Likes

Just lovely, Rox. Is that your sweet Daegus in the photos?

I love that.

1 Like

Hi Surfer, Yes that was my Dageus in the photos. We were over in Wick and walked out to the old Castle Sinclair on the cliffs, not much left of it now but I enjoy poking about in the ruins.

2 Likes

Beautiful countryside, Roxy. I know you sure miss Daegus. You and he seemed to have countless enjoyable outings together :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:.

1 Like

Guildford Castle Keep is not that far away. Built at or around the time of William The Conqueror

4 Likes

Italy probably has more than 20,000 castles scattered all over the country and if you count forts, fortresses, fortification walls, probably over 40,000. Defensive strategies were all the rave, way back then, weren’t they? :grinning:
Apart from towns and cities, practically every single, tiny village has at least one. We have one right in the centre of our town (photo below) and one of the most popular castles visited by tourists, is the medieval Castel dell’ovo in Naples, also because of its location, by the sea.

4 Likes

Glamis Castle.

Near where we lived. Near Forfar.

3 Likes

Corfe Castle. Not really local, but we go there quite often.

2 Likes

Delapre Abbey is just up the road from where I live. A beautiful house that was once home to a French order of nuns. founded in 1145. It is now owned by a trust and is open to the public.

1 Like

St Oswalds Church…

Part of my daily walk along the canal…
The church is dedicated to Saint Oswald king of Northumbria, and there is a legend that his body rested on the site after he was killed in 642. A church was present at the time of the Domesday survey.[3] Most of the present church was built in the 12th century, with additions and alterations in the 14th and 16th centuries. It was restored in 1864 by James Massingbird Teale,[4] and again in 1934. The Rokeby Chapel is named after William Rokeby, rector of Kirk Sandall from 1487 to 1502. He later became vicar of Halifax, then Bishop of Meath, Lord Chancellor of Ireland, and Archbishop of Dublin.[1][3] The chapel was built soon after his death in 1521.[1][3] The tower was added in 1828 but was truncated in 1935.[1] By the 1960s the local population had declined, a new church was built in a nearby growing village.[3] St Oswald’s was declared redundant on 1 March 1979, and was vested in the Trust on 27 July 1980.[5]

5 Likes

I always wonder what the situation was when that first guy built an arch (lazy or not enough materials to do a post and lintel) and then showed one of his buddies what he had discovered…

:smiley:

2 Likes

Interesting mart!
I had no Idea there was a Castle in Guildford until now. I must go with my son and pay it a visit at some point :+1:

The grounds are a picture during the Spring/Summer too. All of Guildford makes a good day out. Years ago, the Keep had no floors but now some have been put into it.

Not always open unfortunately but you can get to the top of the Keep when it is. A good view over to Guildford Cathedral. This was used in the film ‘The Omen’. It’s the Cathedral Damien didn’t want to go in.

3 Likes

Gosh yes, I remember that scene!
And as you say Guildford does make a good day out, might drop in for a little Christmas shopping and a drink or two nearer the time :+1::christmas_tree:

1 Like

Yes, several. Ever seen this?
NN
Will solve the puzzle tomorrow morning.

2 Likes

Here we go:
This monument, 91 m tall, was erected in 1913 in commemoration of the Battle of the Nations that was fought from 16 to 19 October 1813 at Leipzig, Saxony, in which Napoleon was decisively defeated. It stands on truly historic soil, the “Napoleon Hill”, where the Emperor had supposedly watched the battle and which covers the bones of 133,000 casualties, if you like, among them a fair number of soldiers who belonged to the UK at the time. It was the largest battle of the Napoleonic Wars, and the largest battle in Europe prior to World War I. As of 2013 it was still the tallest monument in Europe. From the ground 500 steps lead visitors to the observation platform on top of the monument.

3 Likes