Angela Rayner's lack of grammar

If I do that I’m going to need some mighty long and thick extensions to cover all of me!

If mine goes thin I’ll get Rayner extensions
Or a wig!

It’s all a matter of preference really but I think she looks much more powerful and confident with her extensions, like Boudicca! And a bit timid and non-descript without them

Do we want a leader who needs to hide behind her extensions ?

1 Like

Add Jess Phillips to the list. She’s brilliantly eloquent even with her rather broad Brummie accent. Oh dear, I’ve just Googled her, she passed her 11+ and went to a Grammar School.

So leaving aside my hair fetish, I did a bit of digging on Hansard

“What is Hansard? Hansard is a “substantially verbatim” report of what is said in Parliament . Members’ words are recorded, and then edited to remove repetitions and obvious mistakes, albeit without taking away from the meaning of what is said.”

So, I get taking out constant repetition of Johnson’s ums and ders and ahs

But if it’s supposed to be a verbatim account of what was said then I think it should be recorded the way they said it, not with grammar corrected and sanitised

It’s easy to change the meaning and nuance with small alterations to the way people constructed what they said

Her speech and others may well contain non-standard constructions but I don’t think these should be defined as obvious errors and removed

If I wanted to look up what had been said, I’d want an accurate version of what was actually said, not a grammar corrected version

So I think she’s right to ask them not to correct her grammar

2 Likes

Hansard is supposed to be a true account of what was said and by whom, so if it’s a corrected version it is not accurately correct.

3 Likes

I prefer grammar to be correct. I fail at times.

1 Like

English was not my first language (!) and personally I couldn’t give a stuff.

1 Like

Oi, that’s not proper, I wonder how Hansard would record that! :rofl:

1 Like

FWIW as a bit of a polyglot what I have found is that having read a book or watched TV in German or Russian or Yiddish or Hebrew not only do I sometimes dream in whatever language but the different grammatical constructs impose when I revert to English. As a kid at home we often switched between English and (usually) Yiddish “on the fly” which sometimes made for interesting primary school times. Wasn’t too bad though. Some other kids did the same between English and Irish Gaelic and a couple did the same between English and French.

1 Like

:lol: V and I still do this sometimes switching between English and Italian.

1 Like

She needs to start looking the part and reining in her potty mouth before she thinks of leading her party, or the country.
I can’t imagine her having a proper conversation with world leaders.

Potty mouth? Rayner? LOL! If you think she’s got a potty mouth you should get out more!

I get out loads and probably more than you!! :laughing:
I am referring to her position in parliament. She should have a bit more decorum… what’s the saying about you can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear?

2 Likes

Decorum? In that snake pit? I think her behaviour is remarkably restrained.

The tory front benches like a bit of rough, allegedly.

@ Artangel, As long as the truth comes out of her mouth, l couldnt
care less how potty it is !!
Donkeyman! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

I recorded the minutes as St Barnabas’ church as you correctly stated and as I was taught in funnily enough grammar school. But the college professors and doctors in attendance were at pains to tell me I got it wrong. They said ‘St Barnaba’s’ Academics kept on about the Oxford apostrophe, whatever that is?

1 Like

Sounds like pretentious nonsense

4 Likes