Angela Rayner's lack of grammar

You were right, and they are fools!

1 Like

Maybe the Academics were referring to the University of Oxford Style Guide, which advises that Place Names don’t always follow the same rule about where to place the apostrophe - whether to use an apostrophe or not depends on whether the name of the place is officially recorded with an apostrophe.
For example, if you look at the list of Churches named after St Barnabas, some of them use an apostrophe and some don’t - and some get round the clumsiness of the possessive apostrophe after the letter s by using the name Church of St Barnabas, which I think sounds more elegant.

I think she is an extremely attractive woman. Her hair always looks groomed and I like that some of her outfits are bordering on the ‘racy’. She definitely has the sass to carry them off and good for her.
As for the way she speaks, it clearly hasn’t stopped her climbing the political ranks thus far, so why fix what isn’t broken?

2 Likes

Hi

Well there we are then folks.

Two of the most astute, intelligent people on here do not have a problem with her, time to listen and learn.

Never met Ruthio, but impressed by her posts.

Rhian is a style Icon and great fun.

They both have minds as sharp as razors and very insightful.

Listen and learn folks, they are two of several on here who make me look like an idiot.

2 Likes

@Rhian , Well her smile seems genuine to me ??
I have noticed that she doesnt smile much when Starmer is asking
questions in the house ??
Can only be good !!
Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking::thinking:

1 Like

I don’t care about Angela’s lack of grammar, or is that lack of a grandma!?? :frowning: :confounded: :disappointed:

Hi

I did very well in English Language Exams, petrified of the Teacher.

I then let things slip, only to be pulled up by a Judge who insisted that I write in double spacing, a habit I have not managed to forget.

He insisted on it and then marked my use of English and punctuation.

He was scathing, is your use of the English Language peculiar to you or is it common amongst Northern Scientists?

It is often difficult to understand what you mean, but fortunately I think I can decipher most of it.

He is long gone now, but he could have made Boris squirm.

He was a nightmare for punctuation and grammar, but very fair.

I only lost once to him and I deserved it.

He was also the first to accept me as an Expert Witness, in spite of my youth at the time.

He used to terrify me and taught me to get things absolutely right.

He was also distinctly not a Woke Person.

Scary as he was , we could do with more like him.

Maybe it be a separate topic? Your phrase ‘working class speak’ reminds me of my career progression (in my mind) being held back by my accent. In management circles, my nickname was ‘tractor boy’ because of my rural South Oxfordshire accent. A bit like ooh aah common in the west country. What is important is what is being said is coherent and true but not necessarily grammatically correct.

I said ‘not all the working class speak with a rough uneducated accent ‘ and they don’t .

I don’t know if accents hold you back surely it depends on the job . If you are an IT brainbox what does it matter what your accent is like . If you are interacting with people a pleasant clear accent is probably better. For interviews the best accent apparently is reputedly Irish or Scottish and the worst is Brumie.

Swims your judge sounds an arrogant ,ignorant old B .
Do you remember that judge in a case involving Linford Christie . Judge Popplewell ( Charterhouse )
who was puzzled by the term ‘ lunch box :slight_smile:

I’m in agreement with you Muds and I know my grasp of English + pronunciation and probably my old school tie gained me at least one position which opened the door to several more further up the ladder.

It doesn’t really interest me what Angela Rayner’s language is like.

I believe that I am aware of the ‘correct’ language to use when it comes to an interview or speaking with an influential person.
At the same time, I’m happy to use working class Yorkshire words, like ‘nowt’ and ‘owt’ intermittently perhaps just for effect.
If I made an effort to use all the ‘correct’ words and phrases at all times, I feel that I’d be seen as someone trying to show off something which I am not.

I wonder whether Rayner was using ‘incorrect’ grammar simply for effect. After all, she is a Labour MP and probably feels that she must ‘keep in’ with her electorate.

I found it astonishing that she revealed that her mother could not read or write .
She (AR ) is only 42 .
My grandmother was born in Wigan in 1889 into dreadfully impoverished circumstances . She started work in a cotton mill aged 12 . Yet she and my grandfather , a miner , were incredibly well read and articulate . My grandmother wrote me copious letters in her excellent hand until the end of her life .
So how is it that Rayners mother had 12 ,I presume ,years of schooling yet emerged illiterate .

1 Like

Probably because she was one of those yob children who did nothing more than knock off school all the time and whose parents had no control over her.

Are you confusing the mother with the daughter 
 :question:

My mother could barely read or write. She was born into a life of abject poverty in the slums of the industrial Midlands in the 1920’s. Few of the “working-class” children in the city attended school for any length of time - they were often ill and many died, including my mother’s twin sister. My mother attended for 6 weeks in total before being sent to work in factories. Illiteracy was commonplace.

My Black Country accent didn’t hold me back when it came to promotions, my work did the talking for me. However, having said that, I did make an effort to become less obviously a West Midlander.

Don’t people from Birmingham and people from the Black Country each regard the other as ‘foreign’?

Did you read my last post re my grandparents
Poverty did not necessarily mean illiteracy.
My mother was born in 1925 of those grandparents ( my grandfather was disabled in a mining accident so they were very poor ) She left school at 14 as did many children but still well able to read and write
And Angela Rayners mother is a baby boomer not born in the depression .
So what is the excuse ?

1 Like

Yom abso-blooming-lutely roight on the buttun thee are mar mate! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like