Abolition of Cash - cashless society

Yes I know how to work it out thanks Bruce, I’m not that bad. :slight_smile:
It’s just I find it easier to actually see my money before I hand it over. Too old fashioned I guess. :slight_smile:

You answered too quickly I hadn’t finished

I must be on the ball this morning, Bruce. :wink:

Morning Mups…:039:
I don’t have a smartphone, and, so I don’t have to keep going online to see my account, I run one on microsoft excel. Whenever I spend anything I just enter it onto my account when I get home, and get a running balance. Every so often I go online and make sure the bank and me are singing from the same songsheet Mups…

Morning Foxy. :039: Yes I keep receipts and write it in a little ‘accounts’ book when I get home too.

It’s just with cash, if I haven’t got enough on me, I don’t treat myself or buy extras, but with my card I find it all too easy to buy it after all.
I probably just need more will power. :smiley:

I know what you mean Mups. I used to like getting my wages in a little brown envelope and when it was gone, it was gone…Until next week…

Cards are fine but they lure you into a false sense of security because it’s so easy to pay for stuff. The difference between then and now is; Then, there was hardly any credit. It was possible to take out hire purchase, but it was always more expensive and was usually reserved for the necessities of life, plus you could get money knocked off for cash…

These days, most people live on credit, companies would prefer you use credit to buy things, they get a bonus off the credit company for using them. The price of most items now is usually expressed as ‘Interest free credit’ and you have to struggle to see what the full price would be. We are being pushed into a world of spending money we don’t have. ‘Buy Now and Pay Later’ very attractive for some, but they will never be out of debt.

Of course, the biggest winner of all are the banks…Once upon a time you only saved money in a bank, but with the introduction of the ‘Current Account’ they are making money hand over fist. They employ thousands of people compared to yesterday; most of which are in security because most of the admin is taken care of automatically by computer. Hence the reason why it’s almost impossible to talk to a person anymore.

By switching from cash to card we have created an unstoppable global industry like a snowball gathering momentum as it rolls down a hill. An industry which is cold, unforgiving and heartless, contrary to the soft, fluffy, helpful, family orientated institutions we see in the adverts, with scenes of horses and little girls running along sandy beaches. But the truth is; They are not your friends, they are global, and only notice you when you owe them money…

Use a debit card. No need for credit at all.

As for hire purchase? never used it however I have used layby especially when the kids were little, costs absolutely nothing and you get the goods when they are paid off. These days I don’t need such services, I have the money in the bank.

But you are right about money off for cash I always ask a tradesman after getting a quote if he gives a discount for cash.

Discount for cash. I still do that, when the opportunity arises. But the deals that where this can be done now are getting rare.
Just a thought. When you see at times on the TV or papers, where drug busts have been made. At times they show mountains of cash. So I don’t suppose the dealers take cards. Or do they?

I’ve never used an ATM don’t laugh, but I’m scared to use it …when I go shopping ( before lockdown )…I always got cashback when I was paying by debit card…I’m also scared to use online banking…:blush:

I’ll PM you my mailing address Bruce, you can send me the £800 and I’ll spend it for you :lol:

Hi

Cash is important here.

Many smallholders with Honesty Boxes.

Bought some veg at the local market,they accepted credit card,I’m wondering if this isn’t the way it’ll all go,and then in the fullness of time a sneaky transaction tax added later by the banks.

You could put your pension on it Caricature. The first step is to remove all of the ATM’s. And while we’re on the subject of ATM’s; Last night some pikeys drove a stolen tractor into the local co-op and made off with the cash machine…:shock:
Trouble is, the shop was new and only opened on Friday…
Welcome to the village co-op…:cool:

Of course a cashless society would mean that negative interest rates would actually have some meaning.

How else they gonna get their cash.

By clearing people’s rubbish and then fly tipping it.

Oh I agree there will be always the black economy, but it’ll become even scarcer (cash that is) as time progress’s.

I usually pay using my debit card, but after finding a stack of old £20 notes the other week in one of the drawers we were clearing out, I am using them when I do my supermarket shopping before they become obsolete.

Does anyone know when the old paper ones will be taken out of circulation?

From the link shown below:

[I]"Exchanging old notes

On 20 February 2020 we issued a new polymer £20 note.

You will still be able to use the paper £20 note until we withdraw it from circulation. We will announce the withdrawal date after we have issued our new polymer £20 note. We will give six months’ notice of this withdrawal date.

Many banks will accept withdrawn notes as deposits from customers. The Post Office may also accept withdrawn notes as a deposit into any bank account you can access at the Post Office. And, you can always exchange withdrawn notes with us."[/I]