Abolition of Cash - cashless society

Thanks for that Baz, it looks like I can my stash of old £20 notes under the floorboards for now…:cool:

:023: Me too OGF!

When taking any old style notes into the bank to change for new ones don’t get caught out as I was with the old £10 and £5 notes though, you have to have an account with that bank to pay them into an account and then receive new ones in exchange. Possibly due to the money laundering laws?

It used to be that any bank would do an exchange whether or not you had an account with them but this was stopped, much to my annoyance. I reckon all banks should offer this service as they are, as far as I am concerned, agents of the Bank of England who are responsible for cash that is in society!

Of course though, we all have to be inconvenienced because of the lesser number of ‘no-goods’ in the world! :frowning:

Good advice Baz, I probably will use my own bank when laundering…Oooops, I mean exchanging old notes for new…:wink:

I’ve heard about this 'ere “cash” stuff . . . what is it again?

No, I don’t think the decision has yet been made.

We took some cash out of our bank branch’s ATM on Saturday and it was still giving out old £20 notes.

Thanks Monkeypuzzle and Percy, perhaps gold is the best way to store money and keep (or even raise it’s value) these days with the interest rate so bad.

What’s this cash thing you are all on about? I am Male and Married, am I entitled to it?
:smiley:

Not in my experience, definitely not. All the married male is supposed to do is to earn it, the female then spends it all and more! :wink: :slight_smile:

:lol::lol: Such a cynic…:lol::lol:

Yes, perhaps but that’s also cynicism learned from hard experience! :wink: :slight_smile:

Hi

I enjoy my car boots, markets etc.

Life would not be the same without cash.

:lol: Our 50th Anniversary next month, I am still bloody bewildered by it all, marriage that is…:lol:

I hope you are going to sweep your lady off her feet all over again, and whisk her away somewhere hugely romantic, Vlad?

There were plans for a short cruise on the Med but Covid has put paid to that, so it looks like a tent on the back lawn will have to do. :twisted:

I can see why she loves you. :lol:

:mrgreen:

Before lockdown I would mostly use cash or my debit card, but tried to use cash as much as possible in a “use it or lose it” kind of way, a bit like the local library…!
I also absolutely refuse to be pressurised into doing online banking. Nor will I do anything financial on my phone, I don’t even have my usual email address on it. A lot of people seem to be very blasé about using their phone for everything, what if they lost their phone? Did they write all their contacts’ numbers etc down? Maybe I am just ultra cautious…

I am also a cash person. Because of the present situation, I tried to set up an online account as I had some cheques to pay in. It seems I messed it up, so in the end much against my will I had to go to the bank to do it.
Well protected with mask and sanitizer, it was so much easier than I thought it would be. P.S. I went there on one of my bikes.

You do right Glanny…:wink:
Although I do internet banking, I still use cash wherever possible.
I use the internet to pay off Mrs Foxes credit card each month because she has been unable to go into town. She gives me the cash and I use that for the odd tank of diesel or a meal out.