2022 Winter Fuel Payment

OK. Morty, who was Margaret Thatcher? :wink::grin:

:joy: You’re feeling impish tonight

1 Like

She came a few decades after Winston Churchill, surely you know him.

1 Like

Was he the dog in the insurance adverts?

Oi!
If you cannot remember Maggie as PM, should you be on an Over 50s website?!!
Be off with you, before I set about you with my broom!

3 Likes

I’m an MP, so I don’t need to abide by the rules.

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I had a letter yesterday to say my winter fuel payment this year is £500 and would include a 'pensioners cost of living payment ’ because I was born before September 1956 and it will be paid nov/dec.
Go to www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment for details
This is in addition to money off my monthly DD to my electricity company for the next few months.
I still haven’t got the heating on, I am living in the kitchen while Pippin is being house trained and have the door from the kitchen to the garaged ‘play area with swing ball’ propped open for now and wear a coat when it is cold.

@Meg , ah good. That’s what I’m looking forward to getting.

1 Like

Cheers for that Boot.

I was wondering why my energy supplier gave me £66 back.

Also think with the council tax rebate if you did not pay direct debit you had to apply for it, as in my case.

1 Like

Without heating 21 ?
Mine is such but only reached by having heating on .

Not true that you had to apply for it .
One of my friends is paper billed every thirteen weeks and has just had the first £66 deducted from the bill that arrived 2 weeks ago.
He certainly didn’t apply for it .

Think Galty’s referring to council tax rebate.

1 Like

Zuleika, My room temperature has been 14 degrees and l am absolutely frozen to the bone. My children go mad at me for not putting the heating on, so l have been putting it on to take the chill off. Then l switch it off.
I read if you get too cold it can cause a heart attack, or a stroke, so that’s another reason l am putting it on.

2 Likes

Most of the time, we run a fan heater in the living room for a few minutes and leave the heating off in the rest of the house. Works fine for us (presently, but who knows once the proper cold weather hits).

We even plugged the fan heater into one of the remote control sockets we have (usually used for the Christmas tree lights, so we don’t have to scramble around on the floor to turn it on and off), which means we don’t even need to stand up to operate it.

1 Like

I did have a good fan heater but l gave it away a while back as l felt they cost too much to run.
It’s my hands that are so cold and they go white on my fingers. I have the heated throw and last week, l bought a hot water bottle with a cover.
I bought it in Tesco, it’s made by Cassandra and cost £7.50. I then discovered Argos sold the very same hot water bottle for £4.50, so l returned the one to Tesco and got the one from Argos.
Why are some companies such rip off merchants!

1 Like

@Zuleika, maybe it is because our house is Victorian and holds the heat better? At the moment the sun is ‘pouring’ through our big bay windows and temperature reading 21.3°C.

Everyone’s out to make a fast buck in this dog eat dog world Art.

We’ve got a couple of microwave hot “water bottle” thingies which my daughter uses from time to time. Might be cheaper to heat up than a kettle, plus if you’re on a water meter then savings to be made there too. Haven’t done the calculations though.

IMHO, sportswear and camping shops might be the best places to investigate stuff to keep yourself warm. It’s sad that we have come to this, but it is what it is and well just have to make do for a while.

1 Like

Meg I’m a bit confused can I ask

Each year we oldies are given £200 towards our heating, so this extra money we are getting is this separate from our normal payout I mentioned above , or are both payments being lumped together

So far I’ve had no info or letters so I’m not sure what we are getting

Thankyou

Mags that’s probably the spot on reason . I am in a brick built flat facing open countryside . It’s been pouring with rain today but not unduly cold indoors . Thermostat hasn’t needed to click in .
I wouldn’t like to sit watching tv etc .on winter evenings at 21 tho.