2022 Winter Fuel Payment

Boot, Was this the ‘loan’ given depending on your house value?
I didn’t get it.

I have no idea - the only Grant I know about is the £400 Grant that @Morticia has posted a link about - if Sunak had originally suggested a £200 loan, it looks like the huge increase in energy prices overtook that idea and he had to come up with something more.
. :woman_shrugging:

Boot, Sorry, that l edited my post whilst you were typing.
I didn’t get any other money help, only the £60+ taken off my £197.00 a month energy payment.

@Artangel …I think the £60+ is part of the six, monthly instalments that represent the £400 energy grant.

Along with, if memory serves me right … didn’t we all get let off a months council tax back in April or May.

I tell you, this government are confusing the hell out of me.

2 Likes

Morty, I didn’t get let off a month’s Council Tax.
I just got the thing Liz Truss kept repeating, over and over again!

God i wish I’d still got young brain cells.

I’m sure I has the council tax rebate … but have had nothing off my electricity supplier …so far.

1 Like

Hey up … Boots is going to post something … she’s smart. she’ll help me out.

1 Like

I think the Council Tax rebate was for properties up to Band D. I am in a higher tax band.
Why do they think when your house is worth something that you’re rich!

I received £150 from my local council earlier this year as part of the energy crisis payments, then the first month’s instalment of the £400 Grant (£66/67 per month for 6 months) was deducted from my energy bill at the beginning of this month.

It may be just drop in the ocean for some folk with bigger houses and bigger families but that £66 per month rebate will cover the increase in energy costs for just me in my small home.

1 Like

Band D! Cor, you’re rich.

Ha! I’m Band F and poor as a church mouse!
Band H is the highest.

Ah, the Catch 22 to having all your money tied up in bricks and mortar.

1 Like

I have absolutely no idea what you lot are talking about. I’m obviously too young. :yum:

2 Likes

In your dreams! :laughing:

1 Like

I think the Council Tax Bands are a ridiculous way of assessing Council Tax rates - they are based on “drive by” valuations from back in 1991 and do not take into account any upgrades not requiring planning permission, nor does it allow for the number of people living in the house or the amount of local services they use.

1 Like

After the disastrous Poll Tax I expect they thought it was an improvement. However, there was nothing intrinsically wrong with the old Rateable Value system.

Boot, Do you remember there was anarchy, when Margaret Thatcher brought that ruling in.

Mummy, who was Margaret Thatcher?

1 Like

Yes, I remember the anarchy surrounding the Poll Tax - trying to charge householders for their children who were still in full time education and not earning any money was bound to cause anarchy!

The compromise of Council Tax doesn’t work that well, though, because it is based on the old “Rateable Value”, on which Domestic Rates were calculated, but the “Rateable Value” on most properties has never changed for 30 years!

Ask your dad!

1 Like