Your favourite towns/cities?

What are your favourite towns and cities?

And why?

:101:

The Old Town in Dubrovnik is now one of my favourite towns.

It has been rebuilt after it was ravaged in the Balkan conflict but all the history remains inside its high (80ft at some points) fortification walls. It is buzzing with visitors during the summer months and there is lots to see … the Sponza Palace, Franciscan Monestry, Cathedral, Rector’s Palace and much more. If you are energetic enough you can climb the many steps to the top of the City Walls and walk around the town getting spectacular views of the town and the harbour.

After the walk it’s nice to relax by the harbour or take one of the many boat trips that are always available.

Sorry Azz, I do not have one.
I do not like crowds. I much prefer the open spaces of Mother Nature plus there are less noises from mobile phones in the country.

In this country my favourite is the quaint little seaside town of Dawlish … a trickling stream with an abundance of ducks and black swans runs through the town down to the sea. There is a pleasant green ‘park’ adjacent to the stream where you can relax and enjoy one of the best ice creams I’ve ever tasted :smiley:

My favourite shopping city is Cardiff, great selection of shops and many Malls to shop undercover.

Mine would have to be Seattle, Washington. I’ve been there three time and want to return more with each visit. The atmosphere is so young, so ethnically diversified that it’s alive. There’s a wonderful open market known as Pike’s Place that has hundred’s of specialty “mom & pop” shops. I go there for German headcheese and other delicacies. I love to ride the ferry and eat pizza at Tutta Bella’s. I’ve been there twice.

Street Singer at Pike’s Place Market

http://bobmielke.smugmug.com/Travel/Fun-Places/Pike-Place-Singer/670121815_6Kx86-L.jpg

Tutta Bella’s Pizza

http://bobmielke.smugmug.com/Food/Restaurants/TuttaPizza/174390700_SLX3K-L.jpg

Tutta Bella Restaurant

http://bobmielke.smugmug.com/Food/Restaurants/TuttaWarren/174390669_EQNqc-L.jpg

That’s only a little question then! :roll:
I’d be hard pressed to come up with a definitive answer but I’ll do two cities which I’ve enjoyed
The first is relatively near to home and is Dublin. It’s small enough to explore fairly easily, has some pleasant and pretty areas, with the river running through and the coastline, it has history and it is very very young and vibrant. I feel absolutely ancient there! :slight_smile:
The second is Toronto. It’s huge, it’s bustling and busy, The Beaches area, beside the lake, is a lovely Bohemian type area, there are tram cars but mostly mostly it is the most relaxed, accepting, city I know. There are couples of every sort, same and mixed sex, black, white, brown, pink, any shade, from every part of the globe; there are groups of hugely assorted friends and workmates and it seems an absolute mixing pot of the world. I haven’t been there is winter - I might feel differently if I had.

Glasgow - because it is my place of birth:)

New York though is favourite, Auckland would be next!

Inverness, . . Fort William . . . for me these two towns sum up what Scotland is all about. :slight_smile:

To live in or to visit?

We live near Stamford in the UK and its wonderful if you look up-but to live in?-Jekyl and Hyde-at night one hears it has its share of yooofs and loonies.

To visit?-So many cities-Rome,Venice,Verona,Florence, Prague to name a few abroad

Don’t do cities as I like to get away from the crowds for my recreation time…
But if I have to name one, like Nero Inverness has to be top of my list…

Taormina

My Favourite town will have to be Taormina, it is this lovely small town in Scilly. We first visited Taormina during our Mediterranean Cruise a few years ago and then we went to Mount Edna as part of the shore excursions. Truly a very nice place

For a city its got to be London for me - because its my birthplace and I am still nostalgic for it - Brixton to be precise - warts and all.

For a town - Banff in Alberta but about 25 years ago. There are mountains on all sides and the air is so clean - I even like the snow. However, as with many beautiful places, it is now somewhat spoilt, overrun with tourists. Vancouver is something special as well.

Being a proud Brummie I never thought I would say I like London. Since my son move down there it been like a second home. He shows us some fantastic places of the beaten track.

Boston in the usa, friendly people, great shopping steeped in history, I so love it there.

york uk :slight_smile:

I think it depends on where you are in your life.
When I was a child I loved Scarborough as we always went there for family holidays and have lovely memories of this time.
Then Gran Canaries as this is where i met my husband when we were both on holiday with friends. We go back quite often.
Since we have been married there are so many.
I will be reminiscing for the rest of the day now

Vienna and Budapest - love the music of Mozart, Strauss, Von Suppe, and more particularly Opera. Love too the Viennese food - think Mocca Torte. Budapest too because I love Goulash, Egri Bikaver and Tokay and have a passion for central European folk music - think Hungarian Gypsy bands.

I think my favourite place is Jaipur in India it is such an interesting bustling place to be

New York without a doubt. :smiley:

Washington DC and here in the uK it has to be Portsmouth