Young watch almost seven times less TV than over-65s - Ofcom UK

Meanwhile, those aged 65 and over spend just under six hours on average watching TV daily.

This “generation gap” in viewing habits is wider than ever before, according to Ofcom’s annual Media Nations report.

It attributed the gap to the use of television alternatives such as streaming services and short-form video.

In its report, Ofcom said about one in five UK homes had access to all three of the biggest streaming services - Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon Prime. It said 5.2 million homes now had access to all three, which would cost about £300 per year if they paid for them individually. However, it conceded that this figure included free trials and people who are sharing accounts between households.

“The streaming revolution is stretching the TV generation gap, creating a stark divide in the viewing habits of younger and older people,” said Ofcom’s director of market intelligence, Ian Macrae. Traditional broadcasters face tough competition from online streaming platforms, which they’re partly meeting through the popularity of their own on-demand player apps, while broadcast television is still the place to go for big events that bring the nation together such as the Euro final or the Jubilee celebrations."

Meanwhile, a third of adults in Great Britain watch short-form videos - or videos less than 10 minutes in length - with 65% of 18 to 24-year-olds watching them daily.

This number is vastly increased for younger audiences, with 93% of 15 to 17-year-olds getting daily short-form videos from YouTube, 90% viewing on Instagram and 73% watching on TikTok.

The report also looked into the type of short-form videos people are watching online and found “how to” content - such as recipes or DIY - was the most viewed.

Some 59% said they engaged with short news videos online, 32% said they watched videos about video games and just over half of the adults surveyed said they watched videos posted online by friends and family.

No real surprise … just more of the same … :man_shrugging:

I haven’t “watched telly” since I acquired broadband, probably in 2006. For a time, as providers “jumped on the bandwagon”, there was a profusion of platforms providing quality multi-media choice but, over time, broadband video has gone the way of terrestrial TV … a hundred channels and nothing new to watch. Even the “new” video presentations on broadband are just high-production low-quality rehashes of old “stories”.

I haven’t, as yet, resorted to “short-form” video and I wonder about the high-volume effect of “low-end” presentations on young “viewers”.

1 Like

We watch about 2 hours per day,if that.
I remember that excellent Bodyline series very well.

Was that the one about cricket and Don Bradman? If so - I agree it was excellent

I threw out the TV in 2003 - too much junk to make the licence fee worth while. Just watch DVDs now - but certainly not for 6 hours a day - life is too short!

I watch a total of about 30 min/day, actual TV proper: rolling news in the kitchen. Mrs d00d watches more, and a soap or two in bed.

We watch an hour or two a day Netflix on the laptop with bluetooth speaker.

Telly has got worse since Covid it’s just cheap TV now with quiz ,cooking and talent shows .
Hardly surprising youngsters aren’t keen to watch.
Just the lost and lonely tuning in.

I remember that when digital TV was announced, we said that if they can hardly fill 4 or 5 channels with decent, quality programmes now, what on earth are they going to do with 20 or more?
Well now we know - they can’t

I buy a TV mag each week; not the Radio Times, a cheaper one, usually TV Choice, and have a browse through and mark any programmes that I might watch
This ranges from definitely to maybe to perhaps, if I’m in
With umpteen channels available there are very, very, few programmes that I really want to watch, and sometimes even with all those available I don’t mark anything for some nights
And this is not helped by the general dumbing down of all TV

Sorry, but aren’t we forgetting to ponder over what it is that younger people are doing nowadays which would explain why it it they don’t feel the need to watch so much TV?

Also, I’m mathematically challenged. Could someone explain in simple terms what “7 times less” means.

1 Like

They have so many other things to play with - computers, IPads, cell phones, weird games, XBox stuff - who needs TV?

1 Like

Much of which involves communicating with others, albeit not in a traditional sense. And yet we often bemoan how the youth of today don’t spend much time talking to each other, while forgetting that the “7 times less” suggests we’re “7 times more” likely to block ourselves off from communicating with the outside world.

1 Like

yes :grinning:

1 Like

Oh! Deary me! Doctor, I have a problem. Despite the pitiable quality of many TV programmes. I was watching anywhere between 12-15 hours a day. (some indication of my social life) Apart from binging on the Commonwealth and Euro’s though. I have purposefully cut down on my viewing, especially during the day. I watch between 6-7 hours a day now.

They’re watching streaming video. Same thing really. The article in the OP is only about traditional TV in the UK.

I think the nearest thing to traditional TV here is cable TV. Same trend here. The older people have to cancel cable TV. Many of the younger people never got it, so it will likely continue to decline for that generation as time goes on.

1 Like

Well, I have Stan, Netflix, Prime and Disney+ and find plenty to watch but I definitely don’t watch TV for six hours a day. Too many other things to do.

Yesterday I just watched the finale of “Better Call Saul” on Stan, the free to air 7pm news on the ABC and caught up with Monday’s “Media Watch” on iView (some b@stard rang me just as it was starting on Monday).

Never thought I would ever get pay TV when the overpriced Foxtel first came out but Netflix was a game changer making the cost plummet.

I only watch “planned” TV and the news

I can’t remember when I last watched something live at the actual time it was broadcast :woman_shrugging: Maybe bits of Eurovision

But TV is company for a lot of isolated old people who might not understand or have access to the more interactive internet

1 Like

That is true Maree and for many people TV is a way of keeping in touch with the world.
Why are so many people embarrassed to admit that they watch TV ?
I don’t go out much in the evening because I like to stay home with my pet cats so , if I don’t have family or friends round for dinner, I watch evening TV.
The News keeps me up to date with what is happening in the world, Quiz programmes keep my mind active. The soap operas sometimes get over dramatic but, like it or not, they often reflect the lives of many real people. There are also some good dramas about true criminal stories that occurred in our lifetime.
Through my teens & 20’s & 30’s I didnt watch much TV, I was out living my life, but these days I can’t be bothered getting dressed up to go out , I did that for most of my life because I didn’t have children to care for. Now I am doing what many parents did, staying home & looking after my cats, all I need is an extra lap to accommodate them. :laughing: They are not good at conversation though, so the TV keeps my brain active!

2 Likes

Probably their body clock needs it too:
6.00 News
7.00 One Show
8.00 Corry
and so on

I hate that. I want to be free … to watch when I want to watch.

4 Likes

I got out of the habit of regular TV watching when I was so busy working full time and being a carer for mum

We’d just watch the news then plan something to watch when we finally had a bit of time in the evening. So we’d be selective, record a show we wanted to see or watch on Netflix and the habits stuck

It’s nice to be able to choose when you watch to fit in with the other things you do and be selective and not just watch stuff because it’s on

2 Likes

Just been googling:

how to watch tv series for free online

It amazing what comes up. So all you need is a laptop/iPad and earbud. The world is your oyster.

2 Likes

I dont watch soaps so dont have the TV on much , I use my laptop for the occasional tv , or if its something i enjoy then i put the big screen tv on .
I spend a lot of time on my laptop rather than just sitting staring into space ,and my laptop gives me a read out on how long i spent in a week screen time , which on average is 7 hours , a lot is browsing this forum ,and YT and my Family History sites …

I dont think that too bad really .

1 Like