Yes I have no tomatoes

Great news Muddy. At one point I almost gave up on mine but now I have lots of small cherry tomatoes ready to pick.

I only grow outdoor tomatoes in a tub (Tumbling Toms). I have had a regular supply over this last month and pick two or three every day. Living alone, I do not require many anyway, but they beat supermarket ones for flavour.

I agree CeeCee, home grown tomatoes are far more tasty and it’s so nice to be able to pick them as you need them.

Now is the time to cut back SOME of the leaves to allow light and air to get to the fruit and help them ripen
Are you feeding? Any leaves yellowing?

I’m afraid my tomatoes thrive on neglect Rehab! I’ve already taken off loads of leaves, I feed when I remember and I start off with good intentions of removing side shoots but I see there’s a few I’ve missed! The grape vine is taking over the greenhouse, there’s going to be a bumper crop of them this year.

Been doing that a few days ago Rehab, some of the older leaves don’t look too good anyway, sort of ‘mottled’ and slightly curling. Not sure what to make of that.
They are all fed and water regularly.
Any ideas oh wise one? :slight_smile:

We’ve been so inundated with tomatoes we’ve been swapping them for cheese from the local farm, it’s sheep milk cheese quite different but very nice in a salad.

I feed Tomatorite to feed the toms once weekly…here is an excellent link that might help …Tomatoes Magnesium Deficiency - Epsom Salts Cure

I have just popped out to buy some Epsom Salts. :lol:

If they are thriving Val then you must be doing something right :lol:

What do yellow leaves mean ?

Take a look at the link Annie, and the advice in there…I noticed mine yesterday were starting to yellow on the bottom of the plants, and a lot on the mini cucumbers, so I looked it up…I love google :lol:

Thanks for the link Rehab. I had a look and my leaves do look very much like that, so off to get some epsom salts to try. Ta muchly again. :smiley:

I have lots, on both my outdoor and greenhouse plants, but they seem to be taking time to ripen. Others here have already picked many from their own plants.

Maybe I’m late planting to everyone else? And I feed them every couple of weeks.

My toms, (Shirley) are still green, lower trusses seem to be going yellow, I am picking mini cucumber daily along with the ocassionally green sweet pepper, I need a bigger greenhouse…

I’ve got some Shirley’s too, Rehab, and they are still green.
Lots of nice red ones on my Sweet Aperitif though.

The trusses sort of fan out, then you get trusses on the trusses :-D. Over 50 cherry toms on one lower truss!
I am chuffed to bits, and will def. grow these next year.
More prolific than Sweet Million even.

I might give them a bash next year, thanks Mups

I thought it was acid rain or something. The cucumber is also affected. Both are in pots. I also have a sweetcorn in a pot but that’s fine… I didn’t feed with anything as not sure what’s the best feed (with no funny chemicals or nitrates).

Same as you Annie, I grow my toms and cucumbers in pots, this is the first year I have had yellowing like this but hey oh, we bash on. The last time I did sweet corn was at our local primary school and we fed them with a bog standard liquid fertiliser, which we bought from Asda. :smiley:
Edited to add is that a single Sweetcorn?

Aha yes it’s just the one. We didn’t have much luck with the seedlings this year!

Ahhhh, I have never down a single…I hope it produces ears for you, if it works I might give it a bash…
I found this…

As the plants are wind pollinated they should be grown in blocks rather than rows, 45cm (18in) apart. Conversely, there are some mini sweetcorn cultivars which are harvested before fertilisation, and so don’t need to be grown in a block and can even be grown as a windbreak.

Grow sweetcorn in a sheltered, sunny position, protected from strong wind, on any fertile garden soil. Add up to two bucketfuls of organic matter, such as rotted manure, and also rake in 100g per sq m (4oz per sq yd) of Growmore before planting. Plants are less successful on dry or heavy soil.

Mulch with organic matter, to conserve moisture and suppress weeds and mound soil over the roots, which appear at the base of the stems. Hoe carefully as they are shallow rooted.

Stake plants individually if they are tall or the location is exposed. Water well in dry weather; this is vital when the plants are flowering. Tap the tops of the plants when the male flowers (tassels) open to help pollination; poor pollination results in sparsely filled cobs. Liquid feed when the cobs begin to swell.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.