Would You Use Garlic Grown In China?

We don’t produce many bananas or sugar cane.

No we obviously don’t grow bananas and never have done. I can recall though that during the 1950s and 1960s when I grew up we did have bananas, plenty of them. Also we do grow sugar beet which can be used to produce sugar. It’s only a matter of growing more to make up for present imports.

I would buy Garlic from China Art, to me Garlic taste like Garlic, I am at the moment using Garlic from Spain.

Exactly. It’s best to choose local produce. It’s fresher, it’s better quality and it supports the area where you live.

Food regulations should be considered and respected.
Bleached garlic is NOT a healthy substitute. Bleach makes the garlic appear healthier while killing fungus and bacteria so the garlic stays fresher, longer. It may very well preserve the garlic but is definitely NOT healthy for human consumption.

It’s similar to getting something FDA approved in another country but not in the one it’s sold in.
Not way.
No how.

But are they bleached bananas.
White sugar is always bleached.
That’s why it’s white.
Plus sugar isn’t raw produce

I called back into Asda today and noticed the three garlic pack are currently sourced from Spain, so l bought a pack of three!

My point is much simpler. There are a lot of things we consume and enjoy that we can’t/don’t grow/produce locally.
Tea and coffee for example.

I know that, Besoeker, and there are always going to be exceptions to every rule. Sugar cane doesn’t worry me - but, obviously, bananas, citrus fruits, mangoes etc., come from elsewhere but, even when buying them, I am choosy about the country of origin.

I stand by my original statement that I would not buy garlic from China for two reasons:-

1. I can buy perfect good local grown garlic.

2. As was pointed out in another response - the growing conditions are totally unacceptable.

And we can exercise choice. But locally grown isn’t always one of them unless you exclude many of the things we like.

And we can’t rule on legislation on production in other countries. What we can do is take a stance on what we purchase. Is the country eco-friendly? Are human rights observed?

Yes you are right but hey, why not complicate it up just a tad.
Come on. I’m a tad OCD:lol:

This is how I feel also.
If you have the choice to pick locally grown, best choosing that option. It’s fresher and has less travelling time plus it supporting your local community. It’s ALL good.

Do you drink tea or coffee?

They could go back to using ‘Tea Clippers’ that only use wind…And with ‘Climate Change’ it won’t be long before we can grow tea and bananas here…:102:

But grown elsewhere and imported.

You’re splitting hairs Besoeker, and this thread is fast getting caught up in the detail…:069:

The thread is about importing produce rather than using home grown.

The thread is about imported Garlic…Something that can be produced locally…

And morphed into locally grown stuff.

Which is exactly why I said in my post that I was choosy about country of origin.

Exactly, Foxy. If it is something that can be produced in the UK or - even better, Yorkshire - then I will not buy imported versions. Time there was another ‘I’m backing Britain’ campaign!

Yes - I drink tea, Besoeker. Yorkshire Tea - produced by Betty’s/Taylor’s of Harrogate - who happen to be members of The Ethical Tea Partnership and who are striving to improve conditions/wages for the workers in Assam.

No - I do not drink coffee.

It may be only a drop in the ocean but, at least I am trying to support home growers and - as Tesco never tires of telling us - every little helps!

Hi

Some of us are fortunate enough to be able to afford to pick and choose.

Many are not, every penny counts.