Would You Use Garlic Grown In China?

Britain has already tried that a couple of centuries ago and look at the pickle you’re in now, gawd knows what mess you’d end up in if you tried it twice.

Eat some garlic Floydy it’s good for you
Keeps the vampires away too!

keeps the wives away too with that stinky breath :mrgreen:

Absolutely.
It’s awful and extremely rude of anyone to feel no shame about breathing on people after eating it.
Filthy habit. As bad as having to breathe in other people’s cigarette smoke.

You are probably right Bruce, but how come we let it get so bad?
How come our politicians let it get so bad?
Even though we might not be able to feed all of the population with local produce, we could certainly reduce the amount of air miles (or ship miles) by growing more and importing less…

:023: :023:

We are not making any more arable land.

You’re supposed to bruise a couple of cloves, throw it into your stroganoff, discard two hours later.

… not eat it raw!!! ;-):cool::-p

Don’t know much about that Bruce, I am not that old! However, I did find some information on the link below about convicts being sent to Australia, we have plenty of these, our prisons are also getting full so perhaps we can send some to you? :slight_smile:

Good idea Baz, all the people there live around the edges, nobody lives in the middle…:102:

We are not utilising what arable land we do have, we are being told what to grow by the EU…And the farmers get subsidised to do it.
Take a drive around the countryside in Doncaster, Maize, Oil Seed Rape and Linseed. When I was young it was Peas, spuds, sugar beet, turnips, barley and wheat/corn plus many other vegetables. Some fields are now used for horses.
We are not using arable land to best effect and that’s why we have to import stuff. I spend most of my time running and walking in the countryside around here and see first hand how the fields are being used.

In that case then there’s plenty of spare space, especially as the total population of Australia is only 25,274,428. Even more reason when it’s shown the UK has 248.25 persons per sq. km., while Australia has only 2.66 persons per sq. km.

Come on now Bruce, in view of the above how many extra persons would you like to add to your present population? :wink: :slight_smile:

Thought that the CAP had been disbanded a few years ago.

I don’t know what that is Besoeker, I only know what I see with my own eyes having lived in the country all of my life…

The common agricultural policy. Farmers were paid subsidies to grow stuff so they grew stuff that exceeded the market requirements. We ended up with butter mountains and wine lakes.

Then they were paid NOT to grow stuff and got subsidised for set aside land.

Stupidity beyond belief.

Ah yes I remember that now Besoeker, just madness…

(Satire)
A friend of mine!
Minister of Agriculture

Dear Sir,
My friend, who is in farming at the moment, recently received a cheque for 3000 Euro from the Rural Payments Agency for not rearing pigs. I would also like to be involved with not breeding pigs.
What is the best kind of farm to not rear pigs on, and which is the best breed of pigs not to rear? I want to be sure that I approach this endeavour in keeping with all government policies, as dictated by the EU under the Common Agricultural Policy.
I would prefer not to rear bacon pigs , but if this is not the type you want not rearing, I will just as gladly rear porkers. Are there any advantages in not rearing rare breeds like Saddlebacks or Gloucester Old Spots or are there already too many people not rearing them.
As I see it, the hardest part will be keeping an accurate record of how many pigs I haven’t reared. Are there any government or Local authority courses on this?
My friend is very satisfied with his business. He has been rearing pigs for 40 years or so, and the best he ever made was 1422 pounds in 1968, until this year when he received a cheque for not rearing any.

If I get 3000Euro for not rearing 50 pigs, will I get 6000Euro for not rearing 100pigs? I plan to operate on a small scale at first, holding myself down to 4000 pigs not raised, which will mean about 240,000Euro for the first year. As I become more expert in not rearing pigs, I plan to be more ambitious, perhaps increasing to say, 40,000 pigs not reared in my 2nd year, for which I should expect about 2.4million Euro from your department.

Incidentally, I wonder if I would be eligible to receive carbon credits for all the those pigs not producing harmful and polluting methane gas?

Another point: These pigs that I plan not to rear will not eat 2000 tonnes of cereals. I understand that you also pay farmers for not growing crops. Will I qualify for payments for not growing cereals to not feed the pigs I don’t rear?

In view of the above you will realise that I will be totally unemployed and will therefore qualify for unemployment benefits.

I shall, of course, be voting for your party in the next general election.
Yours faithfully……

Absolutely brilliant, Cidarman. Thank you for kick starting my day with a laugh!

Yea thanks from me too Ciderman, just when the world starts getting a bit too intense a great piece of humour comes along and defuses it…;-)…Good Job!..:038:

Ciderman, I thought it was brilliant too and very clever.