Would you enter a dark cave?

Your out walking in the countryside and come across a cave. Would you enter and what would you expect to find?
I would if I had a torch with me. I would expect to find plenty of Spiders :spider: :spider_web:

1 Like

Absolutely not!

There’s a lot of caves in the cliffs here, I have been in several never found anything except a lot of carving Into the walls of one of them, if they go too far back and start getting dark then I go no further as I don’t need a broken ankle. One huge cave up here has a lot of water in it like a Loch and you need a boat to go through, it also has a waterfall, it’s always heaving with tourists in the summer so I avoid it then. Also you need to keep an eye on the tide in some places as it turns and comes back in very quickly and your stuck in some very rough water. The dog and I got caught a few years back and it was scary as hell going back around the point, we were soaked through and almost hip hight in water…Never went back to that cave.

1 Like

It would not be dark with a torch. :smiley:

Always need to be aware of the surroundings and what can go wrong. Backup plans are needed at times.

1 Like

I don’t think I would as I’m neither curious nor adventurous anymore.

1 Like

Several in my case. Wookey Hole and Cheddar Gorge are the too obvious ones but a few others.

1 Like

We were already on our way back, I just hadn’t realised how fast the tide was coming in. You can’t normally get to this particular cave as the tide doesn’t go out far enough, but this summer it did so we carefully edged around the rocks to see if we could make it. We did but we didn’t have long.

2 Likes

Id only enter a short way .Theres lots of Caves Ive been in on Tours ,theres loads of Caves in Nottingham, being built on Sandstone . ,People lived in them in the 1800s, also used them to store goods and used for Tanning .
Then theres the Caves in Derbyshire ,some when they were first discovered had Bones from Wolves and Bears , long gone in England .
Theres the Blue John Cavern which was discovered the only place where a Blue Stone can be found ,.

1 Like

Fair enough. There really is not much in them anyway. Unless they are large cave that go on and on.
I visit the Karst caves in South West Western Australia.
Full of Stalactites and Stalagmites.

)
)

2 Likes

You almost never made it back. :grinning:
But it was an adventure for you and your dog. Was Mr Dog a little worried?

I’ve seen those, too, but that was in caves made suitable for visitors. I understood you meant unexploited caves that you may come across walking.

2 Likes

Yes, I did mean that. The Karst caves were an aside. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Beautiful, Mr Bretrick. On the other coin I had a few visits in a coal mime in Scotland. Stygian blackness.

1 Like

This was the point we has to get back round from the big cave, as you can see it’s pretty rough water. The other pic is coming out of a more accessible cave.

3 Likes

It does look ominous should you be inside when the tide came in.

That looks absolutely amazing Rox. You’re so lucky to have such a beautiful place for dog walking.

2 Likes

Always worth checking and double checking the tide tables . I nearly copped it with my dad many moons ago on the Kent coast.

2 Likes

I knew I was taking a chance and I knew I didn’t have long, but I also knew that cave was there and I wanted to see it.
Not so gung ho these days lol. Never actually seen the tide away out like that again, it was most definitely a one off.

That’s wee Strathy Bay, I don’t go there very often it’s wild and not very big for a walk. It’s usually Dunnet Beach or Thurso Beach we go to.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Any pics of those? (sorry off topic!)