Would you eat mouldy food?

Annie…see when you get the chance, can you pop this back from whence it came and we’ll just pretend it didn’t happen, thanks :+1:

I got as far as 6:50 in and I couldn’t watch anymore :scream:

Id rather watch insects than the carnage that happens in slaughterhouses.

2 Likes

Sorry Annie, but I strongly disagree with that. No way do eggs safely last for months.

Quote: Fresh eggs can be kept for 3–5 weeks in the fridge or about one year in the freezer*. Store them in the original carton away from the door of the fridge to preserve quality.*

If I am in any doubt whatsoever about an egg, I do a simple test to check it.

Just lower it into a small just of water, and watch what happens:-

Fresh, new laid eggs will immediately sink to the bottom of the jug.
The older they get, they start filling with gas, so float higher in the water.
The really old ones float on the surface, and I’d never touch those.

I used to breed a lot of poultry, and hatch eggs a lot of eggs in incubators, so had to know they were fresh and viable, so have done this simple tests for donkeys years.

I never put eggs in the 'fridge, Mups. Mine are in a wire basket looked after by a friendly hen. I eat/use a lot of eggs - so they are never there long enough to go off!

Eggs

2 Likes

I like the Hen, Tabs. :grinning:

I didn’t refrigerate hatching eggs, but do my own eating eggs.
Wouldn’t have fancied them left out for long in the heat we’ve had lately.

1 Like

Hi Mups I know this test and I have found that eggs last for far longer than 3-5 weeks. Perhaps the supermarket ones are treated in some way to delay deterioration. I’ve yet to have kept one long enough for it to float but the dates are for guidance IMO as they are “best before” rather than “use by”.

1 Like

Oh I am sorry if I put anyone off their breakfasts :grinning: chocolate covered cricket anyone? nom nom!

1 Like

This is where I keep my eggs,ST,

1 Like

It was the fritters…they think spicy worms will make it all go down any easier?? :joy:

1 Like

LOL - nor would I - have only just restocked! :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:
My lovely milkman brought them this morning.

Annie, l agree with you on this. I use older eggs from my hens to make cakes. If they smell ok, l use them. I don’t waste food.
l have never been ill from eating ‘out of date food’. In fact, my health is really good.
I don’t keep eggs in the fridge either

1 Like

I would love to have hens & pick up fresh eggs in the morning - how fabulous. Too many foxes around here though. The neighbour’s hens had a tragic ending that way when she let them run around the garden :frowning:

1 Like

Nope! If it looks or smells slightly off, it’s pigswill. Same for use by dates, if it’s past, it’s in the past and unceremoniously ejected. I bet those well paid rule makers don’t eat manky garbage.

This is my little darlin that l never use!!

Actually, a few years ago it was fine to me to eat nice part of moldy food (without mold on it). But this bad habit suddenly disappeared…

2 Likes

Hi Debbirie, welcome to the forum! :wave:

Why did it suddenly disappear, do you think? if it was fine to eat the best bits of mouldy bread before, why not now? :thinking: Do you think it tastes different?

And this why I would never cut the mould off of cheese and other foods - and eat the rest. You cannot see how far the mycelium mould has travelled and it’s not worth being ill.

3 Likes

Mycelium is the correct term for invisible tendrils

[quote=“AnnieS, post:57, topic:93145”]
Mycelium is the correct term for invisible tendrils
I think it is a bit more than thatAnnie

1 Like

LOL :joy::joy::joy:

The only mouldy food I love is made through a safe process aka edible mould.

I’m a fan of Blue Cheese Dip homemade to go with my recipe of Buffalo Chicken Wings.

I’m putting blue cheese on my groceries list for next month. Thanks for the reminder lol!