Would you eat mouldy food?

Apparently, its ok to eat mouldy food now. Just cut it off and consume the rest!

• No, I’m sorry…do not make this the norm. This is the 21st Century, not a Dickens novel. This kind of stuff is NOT acceptable.
1 Like

My mum regularly cut mould off hard cheese.

I think it depends on the exact food and the severity of the mould.

3 Likes

I consider a slow cooker to be a kitchen essential, a basic model is just fine.
They certainly come into their own during the Autumn and Winter months but are pretty damn useful all year round.
Hey… I’m having problems here… obviously the wrong thread, how do I move it accordingly please? :slight_smile:

It’d be interesting to know how it rates compared to how many people poison themselves from the incorrect storage of food.

3 Likes

… wouldn’t want to OD on Penicillin.

:crazy_face:

2 Likes

If it tastes good, eat it.

An apple with a bit of rot on one side gets cut in half. If the other half tastes dodgy, bin the whole thing. Not rocket science, we’ve been doing it for millions of years.

3 Likes

I can’t eat anything which has mould on it, no. Even cutting it off and seeing the rest of the food ok, just no, no, no.

Berries are a real pest just now…buy them one day, stick them in the fridge, and the next morning they are green and fluffy :face_vomiting: I buy frozen now.

1 Like

I’d definitely eat the good bits of say a rotten apple or cucumber or potato. I use the smell test for meat and fish after use by dates. Also milk can be used days after the dates they use. I hasten to add that I used to think v differently about this before lockdown.

I’d say bread goes in the bin. You can taste the mould. But yes it’s a natural process for producing fermented and other foods so I can see the logic in making us question our prejudices.

3 Likes

I’ve always sliced off the mouldy bits of hard cheese. Had no problems so far. I also scrape off the top layer of jam or marmalade if it’s gone mouldy. Again, had no problems so far. Potatoes sprouting? Cut off the sprouts - I’m not about to waste perfectly good potatoes. Though I am more wary of potatoes that have gone green. If I have oranges with a bit of mould, I cut them in half and eat the good half, or juice it.

But bread with mould? No thanks, it would just taste vile anyway, so why would I? And I would never, ever, in a million years consider eating any meat products that had even the tiniest bit of mould on :018:

3 Likes

Nope, whole jar in the bin. Absolutely vile. The pores will have sunk through, ye gads! :scream:

3 Likes

I think years ago it was fine to just cut off the bad bits, but unfortunately nowadays with food so messed about with it is probably riskier. For instance I had an apple earlier and it looked and felt absolutely fine… until I bit into it :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

Well exactly! I had to throw out some bread earlier that had “pretty” pink mould on it! I mean…pink for goodness sake? Never seen that in my life! Whats in this stuff? :frowning_face:

1 Like

Stop eating bread! Gluten is the devil :lol:

(A known neurotransmitter blocker)

1 Like

I’ve often cut off mould from cheese and then eaten it but I would never eat mouldy bread… yuk

5 Likes

It was sourdough though…:frowning_face: I’m going back to making my own, at least I know whats in it!

2 Likes

I have a healthy fear of botulism! :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

I also cut the mould off cheese.
I eat lots of blue cheese ie. St Agur and l don’t suffer any ill affects.

Anything else with mould on it, l throw it away. Even though you might cut the mould off, you still get a mouldy tang from what’s left.

2 Likes

It’s when food crawls that I cringe.

4 Likes

Yep, think I might draw the line at that :joy:

3 Likes

Yes I have read about this. They have invisible tendrils which is why I would do the same with jam or cheese. But it’s probably an urban myth spread by supermarkets to keep us buying more.

3 Likes