Would you eat mouldy food?

Hahaha! “Invisible tendrils” :joy: Sounds like an alien in your jam jar!

2 Likes

The tendrils are actually mycelium, the horrible looking fuzzy stuff on the top of the jam, bread etc are the fruiting bodies containing the spores.

I was going to have a light supper before turning in but I don’t think I’ll bother now :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yes, thank you Chilliboot…you are a wealth of information! :roll_eyes: :joy:

1 Like

My pleasure as always .
I bid you all goodnight :first_quarter_moon_with_face:

2 Likes

I am not so sure about the ‘looking and sniffing’ test.
It may be safe for some things, true, but not always. After all, you won’t always see bacteria with the naked eye.

And to say to ignore ‘Use By’ dates can be irresponsible too, because it also depends on how, where, and at what temperature the product had been stored up until then.

2 Likes

I like the Use By dates…

And what if you have a cold? Can’t sniff then!

Yes Pixie. And lots of people have a lousy sense of smell at the best of times.

1 Like

Anyway, you wouldn’t have a leg to stand on - legally - it something made you ill and you had ignored the manufacturers instructions.

2 Likes

So how would you feel if they removed the “use by” dates from packaging? They are discussing doing that for fruit and veg already. I expect other goods to follow.

NB I also chuck stuff out if it’s within the use by but doesn’t smell fresh.

Eggs are a funny one - they last for months but we are conned into using them in a couple of weeks.

1 Like

Yes, I saw in Tesco’s that some fruit and veg had no dates yesterday, and I don’t like it, especially if stuff is wrapped/sealed and you can’t prod it or sniff it.
I also think it will be abused, and some shops will use dateless goods as a good way of getting rid of stock that is going out of date.

At least now, they put reduced stickers on, but they won’t be able to do that without a a starter date first. So you would be paying full price instead of a reduced price for old stock in future.

Also, will shop staff all have to be retrained now? How will the average shelf filler or shop assistant know when not to put stuff on sale, or when to rotate goods on display?

Nah. I don’t like or agree with this at all. I prefer some guide lines, then I can decide whether I want to bug it or not.

What is the reasoning behind all this anyway? What are they up to?

3 Likes

probably trying to reduce food wastage

1 Like

Nope. I don’t even like thinking about moldy food much less eating it.

People tell me that they just cut it off. I eye them skeptically wondering how they are still alive. :joy:

1 Like

Nah, they are training us to accept worse quality food as the years go on. Possibly preventing a food wastage thing, but its cost of living reasons and other political stuff I think.

3 Likes

That is the reason given - but they may end up with more waste as we have a young generation who have no idea how to tell if food is fresh or not so it may be left on the shelves. When I was growing up nothing had use by dates on - we were taught how to check and what to look for.

2 Likes

I think they are just preparing us to have to lower our standards as food prices increase and food supplies get short :rage:

4 Likes

Like you said on another thread Maree…we are being used as a testing ground to see how far they can push us (our meek resigned little souls who will accept anything and be grateful to be kept alive) We’ll be picking insects off the corn shortly :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

In the past, I have eaten mouldy bread, obviously taken the mould off, then toasted it, tasted fine.

Bread goes off quite quickly at room temp I have found, I either put it in the fridge or freeze it, take it out, then let it reach room temp, I don’t eat much bread to be honest…especially white!

I make medlar jam …medlars have to be left to belett …go past ripe to rot .
However I wouldn’t eat jam if it have a mould .

If have cut the damage of a apples , potatoes and swedes, any other veg , fruits or food …no

Insects are the next new superfood - Imagine what would happen to nature if one of these facilities were to accidentally leave the back door open one night…

1 Like

Annie…see when you get the chance, can you pop this back from whence it came and we’ll just pretend it didn’t happen, thanks :+1:

I got as far as 6:50 in and I couldn’t watch anymore :scream: