Would you dine at an Offal Restaurant?

Starting to become a trend here in Perth. Restaurants serving Tripe, Chicken Hearts, Lambs Brains, Liver, Kidney, Pork Tongue, Black Pudding :nauseated_face:

It’s too offal to even think about!

3 Likes

Nope I wouldn’t dine there…to be honest I eat very little meat these days…the thought of offal…yuk :frowning:

2 Likes

No thanks…I dread to think what the desert menu comprises of :wink:

2 Likes

did it regularly in Thailand - delicious

1 Like

:nauseated_face: I think that says it all

Yes I woul offal can be delicious .

1 Like

I’ve had it all before except the Lambs Brains :icon_eek:

1 Like

I’ve eaten brains, liver, kidney, pork tongue and black pudding.

My Mother fed us brains on toast when we were children. It tasted OK. This was shortly after the war when food was scarce but we 3 children still had to be fed. Nothing was wasted. When I was older and thought about what it was, I couldn’t eat it anymore.

It was also cheaper than other parts of the animal …or not offally expensive anyway.

2 Likes

I don’t eat meat anyway but the thought of eating a creature’s innards makes me feel quite nauseous!

2 Likes

Yes I’d give it a try but my choices would be limited. I like steak and kidney pie, liver and onions but I’m not sure I’d be able to stomach brains and tripe would definitely be off the menu. I’ve tried that before and I think it’s the most horrible food I’ve ever tasted. It sends a shiver down my spine just thinking about it.

3 Likes

Should we not be respecting the animal slaughtered for us and eat more of it than just the prime cuts? Liver and kidney are delicious - high in protein, low in fat. Duck gizzard and heart are excellent. Do pigs trotters count as offal? Same for meat cuts such as cheek?
So yes, I’d happily eat in such a restaurant.
However there are sensible limits. Tripe is inedible in any form, in my opinion. And its close friend, andouillette, made from the small intestine of pigs smells as bad as it tastes.

1 Like

Another thing remembered is ‘brawn’. Half a pigs head boiled for ages and the fluid then drained off. The house used to have a strong indescribable smell during the process. When the fluid cooled and set, it looked like a mixture of meat and jelly. Not much into it myself but Mother and Father would eat it.

I will still eat liver, kidney and black pudding so I guess I would go to an offal restaurant.

1 Like

I grew up eating Tripe and onion with creamy mash potatoes,

Stuffed Lambs Hearts, and I had to go to the Butchers and ask for the Sheeps Head,and tell the Butcher to take the eyes out , cause mum didnt like them staring at her , Wrapped in News paper I walked home with it . It was then put in a boiling Pot along with root veg .

We had Lambs Liver with sausage and onion mash .

Pigs Feet dropped in a Pea soup was tasty along with the Pigs tail ,

I hardly eat meat now so i wouldnt go to a offal resturant

1 Like

My stomach is turning just thinking about it.

1 Like

No.

There’s no part of a dead animal I would fancy eating and the internal organs look and smell even worse than the outer carcass does.

2 Likes

It’s only about the taste for me

If you’re going to eat animals, I can’t see it makes any difference which bits and I’m not squeamish

Plus I think, having killed an animal, there is a bit of a moral obligation not to use every scrap

But I just don’t like the flavour of most offal, I think kidneys taste like wee! :face_vomiting:

I’ll eat offal if it’s disguised, I love haggis and black pudding and faggots :+1:

I remember having something called Haslet as a child which I think was offal? It was very nice and I suppose a lot of liver pate is offal?

2 Likes

…and sausages too.

1 Like

I had never had offal as a child and I remember having a school dinner that contained a slice of liver. I hid it under the plate very slyly!

Up until about 14 or 15 years ago I would not eat offal. Then I’d freshly cooked chicken livers with a madeira sauce. Surprised myself by enjoying them. A bit later a big group of us were at a local italian restaurant and orders got mixed up so ended up with calves liver. The chef there knew what he was doing - very fresh liver, thin sliced, briefly cooked only until pink. By the third forkful I was hooked. After that I made my mind up to keep trying. But I set a rule - if it was the first time for some offal then only try it in the best restaurant. Lambs kidneys in a posh french restaurant - fantastic. Prepared medium rare. Calves sweetbread in another posh french restaurant - delicious. Its been a great journey. Next step is going to be cooking such stuff myself.

1 Like