Would you dine at an Offal Restaurant?

Lambs intestines chitterlings are delicious

1 Like

Had it often in the Far East.

1 Like

Whatā€¦ Lowestoft? :slight_smile:

Well, that tooā€¦:slight_smile:

1 Like

tripe was eaten at home regularly and we as kids were asked to try if we wished: - tripe was either boiled slowly in milk which became soft and tender or sometimes eatern raw but swamped to fill the holes with vinegar ??

1 Like

My father used to eat tripe. Coming home from school I could smell it being boiled and when going inside the smell was much stronger. Rather unpleasant I thought.

1 Like

My Father used to talk Tripe :smiley:

1 Like

Was you Father unpleasant?

1 Like

That as well :slightly_smiling_face:
Thankfully my Granma would not cook tripe very often. Maybe 5 or 6 times a year.

Itā€™s very good for you. Full of iron and B complex, amino acids and minerals. It very much depends on how they are cooked, but they can be really yummy. I used to love kidneys. Havenā€™t ever cooked them myself though. I have cooked liver and onions. But I draw the line at brains and tripe.

1 Like

If I donā€™t need meat, why should I eat offal?

The most terrible mistake I ever made, when it comes to diet, was becoming a vegetarian, around 35 years ago. No meat, eggs, fish or cheese - for different reasons. Salmonella, Listeriosis, etcā€¦ Iā€™d love to end my vedgie lifestyle, but Iā€™ve heard how dangerouns it can be, even for very fit and strong people. Iā€™m stuck in Vedgie Land!

I wasnā€™t aware of those risks. Iā€™m not a vegetarian, though.

1 Like

It must be difficult for Vegetarians to go ā€œCold Turkeyā€

1 Like

they need pudding soaked in brandy

Do you come here Offal?

1 Like

Soy is the biggest risk to vegetarians/vegans, particularly soy sauce.

Without meat it is almost impossible to replicate all amino acids humans need for health, particularly if you are vegan. If you have food absorption issues itā€™s a big problem.

2 Likes

I like offal, liver, heart, kidney, lights etc. My grandmother reckoned that by nature the British were a nation of offal eaters, faggots and peas or haggis come to mind.

While I was away recently I had a camelburger not offal admittedly.

1 Like

The problem with British sausages is that they contain so much bread one is undecided whether to fry or butter them

1 Like

Just had to look into this Bruce. You could do the same.

Bread is about 10% of the weight. I think this helps to bind the ingredients and soak up the flavour. It can be more depending on the recipe. Some use rusks. I read Australian sausages can use wheat or rice flour, which I suppose could be akin to bread. An essential ingredient to some degree anyway.

The videos Iā€™ve been watching say there is nor offal in them as I thought there was.

I buy Cumberland sausages from Asda and not analysing the ingredients, cook them up in the air fryer. They taste great.

4 Likes