Would you buy this dresser?

Description here > Brompton Grey Painted Oak Medium Dresser Display Cabinet Cupboard – MSL Furniture

I’m assuming you like the style, size, colour … I do but …

I’m unsure about the quality. It says “painted oak” in the header. Further down it says “Main Material Oak Top- Acacia Base”. What’s Acacia Base? MDF?

There’s a lot of lightweight disposable rubbish around nowadays. These people have no showroom, they say I can return it if I don’t like it, within 14 days. But I don’t want to waste my time doing that.

I have next to no experience of buying over the internet, as everything is just tube ride away, normally.

Acacia wood is an African hard wood. Acacia Wood: Everything You Need To Know About This Versatile Resource
So not mdf. If it’s what you really want I would go for it :+1:

1 Like

We have something similar - a Hoosier Cabinet - but it is about 100 years old. It’s not something we wouldn’t buy now.

Thanks … so it looks & sounds pretty solid to you?

1 Like

Aye, they knew how to make things in those days.

Going by their description yes. If it was mdf they would have to advertise as such. Have you looked on line for any review of the product? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Dood I get things like this from Cotswold furniture because you know they will be good quality

https://www.cotswoldco.com/dining-room-furniture/dressers/

3 Likes

Thanks for the Acacia link @Chillie6

Thanks for the Cotswold link @AnnieS

… will take a closer look.

2 Likes

You are more than welcome. Happy to help :+1:

1 Like

I dont know but that would really fit in with my decor. I like the colour and the dresser

2 Likes

It’s the perfect size for our kitchen diner, and just received an email to confirm it’s solid hardwood all round.

Dressers normally have shallow shelves for displaying plates and hanging cups, we want max storage behind doors, and something that doesn’t stick out too much.

If it gets full of slightly unsightly stuff up top, I could pin wallpaper on the inside of the glass …

1 Like

Why paint the hard wood if it’s a good quality and finish? To me that says volumes about a rough piece painted to hide the use of glued together strips of who knows what.

One hint of composition is the weight. You should be able to get a sense of the overall density with that and the dimensions. A lighter density suggests you are looking at veneers over an engineered product.

Solid Acacia is fine, but it is prone to cracking and bowing if it is exposed to too much heat and dry air. Look for small cracks and don’t accept a piece with any. Those cracks can become large splits within a couple of years.

If the material was solid, it usually says so. I expect that you are looking at a piece with a mix of solid and veneers.

I’m a slave to fashion. :icon_cool:

1 Like

Thanks for the tips mom.

I don’t think anyone would add veneer then paint. But good point about the weight; it would be nice if they inc. that in the description.

1 Like

No because it’s grey and I hate grey. Far too depressing. For those who care about such things, grey is no longer on trend. I couldn’t care less personally but I think we need more colour in our lives.

1 Like

Agreed. I was thinking veneers on the portion of the piece that appears to be unpainted. Let us know what you decide!

1 Like

I have to say I avoid anything oak because it weighs a ton which creates a dramarama if you ever need to move it. Only for the young and fit and in need of a hernia imo.

1 Like

If you intend painting it, pale grey is a good undercoat. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Understood, but why paint a well made cabinet assembled from the finest of hard woods in the first place. I much prefer to see natural wood turned into something brilliant in the hands of an excellent cabinet maker.

1 Like