Would you buy this dresser?

I agree because the current trend for all things grey is already starting to look dated.

3 Likes

There was a house locally, where the entire decor from top to bottom was done in grey. Even wall art was grey, furniture was grey. The paintwork was white, fair enough, but even their dishes and little things like tea towels, were grey. Thankfully the house got sold and normal people with a colour palette in their mind, have moved in. (The house was infamous locally, due to crime related goings on, so when it went on the market, there was a lot of interest about the inside)

2 Likes

I personally think natural wood changes the light in any room to a warm tone. Also it doesn’t chip or need maintenance in the way a painted surface will.

1 Like

When grey was really “in” about 8 years ago, a woman I know got her husband to paint all their interior doors pale grey …. 14 of them so 28 sides. She lives in a big 5 bed house. It took him months doing a couple of coats when he had time. It was so drab. She also bought grey sofas and grey carpets. It was just too much. It’s people like Mrs Hinch the so called Queen of Cleaning who come up with these daft ideas and themes and some people follow them slavishly.

2 Likes

I’ve never been keen on grey anywhere in my homes throughout the years since our first 2 up 2 down end of terrace. I lean towards the warm off white into the country creams and sunshine yellows. The present kitchen is sprayed cream from the dulux eggshell range with walls tiled in the business end and a pale-yellow emulsion (scrubbable) in the eating end.

I’ve always preferred light oak doors, but for painted panelled doors where oak would not be acceptable, I’ve always removed each door and sprayed with white eggshell. Although since the satin ranges have emerged, I now spray with water based satin paint.

Yes it becomes an epidemic with every house on the street suddenly painted shades of drab grey. I’ve noticed that it’s reversing recently, must cost a fortune to change it all back to normal colours.

1 Like

I enjoy looking at unusual decor ideas…I thought this was quite cute :joy: I might try this in my living room…

2 Likes

Well I’m obviously years behind … buying my first piece of grey painted furniture in 2022.

But I’m not filling the house with it. It’s just a little piece to put down the dining end of our new kitchen, where our designer wanted to build something out of whatever kitchen unit are made of. If & when the wood cracks and the paint peels I will celebrate its rustic charm … so long as it doesn’t collapse under the weight of our best china.

I heard primary colours are very fashionable this Spring. But then I saw a lady crossing the road in front of me dressed head to toe in bright orange with yellow shoes and accessories and I’m not so sure it’s just another ruse to persuade us to stay indoors.

1 Like

Interesting point :thinking: I see on the news another variant has been found…more fear mongering.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly. There’s nothing like the look of a decently finished piece of quarter cut oak board showing it’s grain to its full extent.

1 Like

Those shortish chevron cut pieces can look good in the right application, but some ‘manufacturers’ glue together small random pieces together that look cheap & nasty on anything but the smallest piece of furniture. I’ve a largish oak TV stand/cabinet that had a back of small strips. I complained and then complained again. Rather than the on-line supplier collecting the piece, I was fully refunded, so I carefully veneered the rear to very good effect.

1 Like

Have you also noticed how some people have replaced their front doors with dark GREY doors with big vertical stainless steel handles. They look very “industrial” and more in keeping with offices and health centres. My husband says people will look at those in years to come and say “very typical 2019s”. :joy:

1 Like

My pet hate is the horizontal gapped fencing craze - this sort of thing. You can just imagine how shabby it will look in a couple of years when they start falling apart.

1 Like

Can’t see the point of it as you get no privacy.

1 Like

As your chances of successfully stealing it are more or less negligible, I would say your only option is to buy it. :102:

1 Like

What is it with grey paint, grey carpets, grey this, grey that? I can’t think of a more depressing colour yet most home make over shows seem to glory in vast oceans of greyness.

Don’t worry, I’m sure a colour that you do like will come into fashion sooner or later. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yea