World Rugby - Match discussions

England, Jones as gone.

2 Likes

This usually gets a ridiculously big crowd for a local match…

Cwmbran derby…Cwmbran v Croesyceiliog…Division 2East.
Cross the bridge to get from one ground to the other!

1 Like

RIP David “Dai” Duckham.

Good enough to be Welsh.

3 Likes

Time has expired.
Next dead ball the game is over.
We Newport supporters are hoping for a miracle…being two points behind.
The ball is worked back to skipper Matt O’Brien.
He drops for goal…it’s over.
Referee blows up…we’ve won 18-17!
5th win in six starts against Cardiff!
Picture by Simon Latham.

It was a happy journey home!

2 Likes

2 Likes

That’s impressive.
Arms Park:Cardiff 3 Newport 3. (1980’s)the most boring cold afternoon I’ve ever spent watching two teams desperate not to lose.

I’m sure I was probably there…seen every game in Cardiff since 1972!
Totally forgotten though.:grinning:

Dave Rennie has been sacked as Wallabies coach in a sensational move to bring Eddie Jonesback for the Rugby World Cup.

Rugby Australia confirmed the bombshell move on Monday morning, with Rennie axed and Jones brought in on a five-year deal to lead Australia to the next two World Cups.

The RA statement confirmed that Jones would also oversee the Wallaroos program.

“It is a major coup for Australian Rugby to have the best coach in the world return home to coach the iconic Wallabies and to oversee the Wallaroos program,” RA chairman Hamish McLennan said in a statement.
Channel 9 news

2 Likes

It was forgettable.I can’t remember which team Spike Watkins was playing for.He was a particular favourite of mine and it was a bitter blow when he left. :grinning:

1 Like

Might have been against another team!

Or it was this one!

That 7-0 game in 78 sounds exciting!
And I would have travelled all the way from Cyncoed for that one!

A few low scores here.
I remember that 7-4 one in Newport in 1971.
A Friday night game .

1 Like

I was convinced it was Newport but the stats don’t lie.My companion on the night is no longer available so I can’t ask him.

1 Like

I was convinced we were losing 17-12 on Saturday…fortunately I was wrong!

1 Like

Never saw that one coming, goes to show one has to watch ones back in these jobs.

1 Like

Yep!Surprised me too.

Considering the reputation the Wallabies have built up over the years I was surprised by how few watch Rugby Union here.It’s mainly R.League and AFL.

1 Like

Rooted in history.
During WW1 Australian Rugby Union closed down.
League kept going…
After the war rugby fans had graduated to League…and it remained the number one rugby code.
I know little about Union club rugby in Australia( Super Rugby teams excepted).
I am well versed on the NRL.

1 Like

Just as a matter of interest.

World Rugby’s largest members, ranked by number of participants in 2019, are:[29]

England (2.11 million)

United States (1.48 million)

South Africa (692,000)

France (533,000)

Australia (477,000)

Japan (296,000)

Colombia (266,000)

Fiji (225,000)

Canada (217,000)

Chinese Rugby Football Association (215,000)

Ireland (210,000)

Scotland (182,000)

Brazil (174,000)

Argentina (161,000)

New Zealand (156,000)

Kenya (123,000)

Spain (114,000)

Russia (109,000)

Wales (108,000)

Sri Lanka (96,000)

2 Likes

That’s an interesting list.Considering their populations participation in Scotland is on par with that of New Zealand.

2 Likes

Wales Six Nations Squad
Wales squad - forwards (20): Rhys Carre, Wyn Jones, Gareth Thomas, Dewi Lake, Ken Owens (capt), Bradley Roberts, Leon Brown, Tomas Francis, Dillon Lewis, Adam Beard, Rhys Davies, Dafydd Jenkins, Alun Wyn Jones, Teddy Williams, Taulupe Faletau, Jac Morgan, Tommy Reffell, Justin Tipuric, Christ Tshiunza, Aaron Wainwright.

Backs (17): Kieran Hardy, Rhys Webb, Tomos Williams, Dan Biggar, Rhys Patchell, Owen Williams, Mason Grady, Joe Hawkins, George North, Nick Tompkins, Keiran Williams, Josh Adams, Alex Cuthbert, Rio Dyer, Leigh Halfpenny, Louis Rees-Zammit, Liam Williams.

1 Like

Warren Gatland insists he should have been allowed to re-appoint Rob Howley as Wales attack coach after being prevented from doing so by senior Welsh Rugby Union figures.

Howley, who was banned for 18 months for breaching World Rugby’s betting laws, was Gatland’s preferred option as attack coach.

Howley was an integral part of Gatland’s backroom team for the entirety of his first 12 years in charge of Wales with the pair winning four Six Nations titles, and reaching the World Cup semi-finals in 2011.

But Gatland was blocked from giving Howley the job by the WRU’s non-executive directors, with former England outside-half Alex King having been appointed instead.

“I’ve got a huge amount of respect for Rob as a rugby coach,” said Gatland. "I suppose the information given to me was that the timing wasn’t right.

"But I’ve got to say I’m extremely lucky with Alex coming on board. I’ve worked with him before and I think hopefully he’ll fit in seamlessly to the backs role as a coach.

"I think he’ll add a lot. A lot of that stuff about Rob has been fairly well documented.

“I’m sure that given the opportunity I will get the chance to work with him again in the future.”

The New Zealander insists the former Wales scrum-half still has plenty to offer as a top level coach. Gatland believes Howley should be forgiven for his past transgressions and allowed to coach Wales again in the future.

“Well, you’d like to think that if anyone was going to be forgiving it would be the Welsh forgiving their own,” he said.

"It’s been over three years now but that’s not the case at the moment. Hopefully Rob will continue to be involved in rugby.

“He’s been involved with Canada and he’s had the backing of World Rugby who have been funding that position which is a real positive. I just think I’d like to see him involved at the highest possible level again in the future.”
Wales Online