Women's World Cup

https://footballnewspapers.com/us-soccer-star-megan-rapinoe-preemptively-declines-white-house-invite-i-have-no-interest/

VAR video assisted refereeing is too slow, took ages for the decision to give a penalty to England.

It was a crucial decision. They had to have a good look at it. Personally I did not think it was a penalty. Also with the offside goal it needed a closer look. Very marginal.

I do not think it will be so popular in the Premier League, starting this season. Too long a delay will not go down well with fans.

I think it is a good thing as long as it is not abused, such as players pestering the referee for VAR. Too much money in the game now for referee and assistants mistakes. Every weekend you get controversial decisions. Referees are only human and don’t see everything.

I did’nt think it was a penalty either. There was minimal contact. The referee took so long looking at the monitor, for a minute, I thought she was watching something on the other channel! :-):-):slight_smile:

Chances are because they’ve got better training, facilities, and more investment compared with our team. There’s no fixed football pitch for them to play on and in some circumstances no changing room sometimes having to get ready in a shipping container.

Why do they need VAR when there are so many TV cameras showing every aspect of the game from multiple angles? That penalty was plain to see from all the TV playbacks in slow-motion. VAR slows the game down too much and so makes the game go off the boil. How long did take to confirm that penalty? It should have been declared and taken at once instead of faffing about for a good five minutes.

The stoppage time is added at the end of matches for injury so you could possibly have a second half lasting well over 45 minutes. Travelling away fans having to leave early will soon get fed up with that.

Yes, but the referee can’t see all the different camera angles. They have only 2 or 3 seconds to make a decision. That is why they now have VAR and goal line technology. I still don’t think it was a penalty but the VAR says I was wrong.
In tonight’s semi final Sweden had what looked like a stonewall penalty but VAR was never consulted.

Tonight’s semi final was a really turgid affair, both sides playing safety first football. I was praying, that anyone from either side would score, to save the misery of extra time. But no, we were subject to another 30 mins of the same mediocre fare. The Americans must be licking their lips for Sunday’s final against the Dutch. At least it should be a helluva lot more exciting than what we were subject to this evening.:-(:-(:frowning:

I don’t watch rugby but I believe they have had bye line technology for a while now where the game is stopped and different camera angles studied if a try is not clear cut. Time football caught up.

England v Sweden this afternoon unfortunately it does not seem to be on TV. Should be a good game.

Sorry it is on television. Sweden take the lead.

It’s on BBC1 at the moment. I’ve just switched on, and Sweden are one nil up.:frowning:

It’s on BBC1 at the moment. I’ve just switched on, and Sweden are leading one nil. :frowning:

2-1 for Sweden. I thought England were unlucky to lose.

I can see VAR being a huge problem in The Premier League next season There are too many contentious decisions, as in this game, to keep the flow going. Stop, start, ref goes and looks, crowd kept in the dark, all not great. You begin to yearn for the old adage, "everything equals itself in the end, for and against.:frowning:

I have really enjoyed watching the games. Looking forward to the final.

America wins the gold medals again. VAR used again.

The USA won quite comfortably. If it was’nt for the Dutch goalkeeper making some excellent saves, the score would have been much higher. I noticed that Megan Rapinoe did’nt sing the national anthem, while the rest of the team joined in. I know she’s got issues with Trump, and other things, but she seems a hard person to like. :-(:-(:frowning: