Windows 10 icon pop up

I’ve bolded a couple of parts of your post Realist.

The first bold: I think one single sturdy and reliable operating system is what Microsoft wants to achieve. Fed up with supporting several operating systems at the same time perhaps.

The second bold: It won’t matter how points are put. I’ve noticed that anyone who doesn’t agree with you gets branded similarly.

I’ll have to time Mrs mart’s computer. Windows 10 without a SSD but not such high specification computer in general as mine. That might slow it down a bit compared to your own figures perhaps.

This is undoubtedly true.

Whilst I appreciate (as I said) the faster boot-up time of Windows 10, I was dismayed to see how the interface was completely different to what I was used to with W7.
Even after having made the necessary improvements to make it look more like W7, I still find that when I want to locate a specific installed programme, for example, I have to go searching in unfamiliar territory. Even when I have managed to locate the new ‘All Apps’ feature, I sometimes cannot find a programme that I know must be there somewhere.
Yes, in some respects I found W7 easier to use though perhaps it’s just a matter of getting used to the new system. But why, as you say, did they need to change things that didn’t need changing?
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

Then you have clearly fallen for the marketing spiel I’m afraid. As night follows day, Microsoft will maintain this one version of Windows and will introduce a yearly subscription service as soon as enough saps have flocked to the so-called “free” upgrade.

This is no different to those software providers of just about any piece of software who on their websites show a nice big red “DOWNLOAD” button with a sound-bite saying “Download now for free !”

Meaning the download itself is free, but if you want to actually use the software then you are going to have to pay.

It’s all so blatantly obvious imo.

Get people to download the “free” new version and then it’s hammer time and they will whack you with a yearly subscription charge.

Whatever you used to pay for one definitive version of Windows, you will end up paying lots more through a regular subscription. It’s going the same way as MS Office did. At one time you could buy an actual CD/DVD with Office on it.

Now you can’t, you can only download it and pay a subscription (Office 365).

Fall for the marketing spiel if you like but I am very happy to hold out for as long as humanly possible with Win 7 with no updates whatsoever.

I went for the free upgrade, had Windows10 for three days, found out my disc drive was not recognised (a common problem apparently) then reverted back to Windows7

If Windows 10 goes to a subscription service, then I’ll consider switching to Linux. Until then, I’ll use Windows 10.

Regarding MS Office, I have just bought the Home and Student 2016 version (not subscription) that will do all that I’ll need. I expect it will get years of use before becoming redundant.

There are also some very good free alternative programs available such as Libre Office and OpenOffice. Most Office Suite users praise these programs (have used them myself). No need to buy into MS Office at all. Windows 10 does not stop the alternatives from being installed and run.

It is possible to download free software with no strings attached but yes, ‘free’ is a very powerful word and one does have to be careful over what is downloaded. That message has been made clear by everyone.

I’m happy too by the way.

I hope you’re wrong, but I wonder how they would implement that. Would they begin to charge for Windows updates, for example? If so, I’d turn them off.

Could they encourage software manufacturers to bring out new software that requires new Windows updates? If so, I’m quite happy with the software I already have, and wouldn’t buy it.

Is it possible that they could introduce some sort of restrictions to Windows via the internet, limiting functions unless a subscription is paid. If so, I’d turn off internet connection on my computer, download Linux on an older computer and get rid of Windows at the same time. I could then use the new computer for most things and reserve the older computer for internet searches and e-mail.

I’d be interested to hear more of what you suspect Microsoft could do in pursuit of their money-making ventures, Realist. You’ve got me interested!

I read in one article the following about Windows 10 updates:

"Microsoft has outlined three servicing options for Windows 10. There will be an “active branch” of users who get both security and feature updates right away. There will be a “current branch” for those who want security updates right away and new feature updates after some unspecified period of time. And there will be a “long-term servicing branch” that receives only security updates (and no feature updates) for some unspecified, but likely fairly lengthy, period of time. "

The article writer also says:

"I’d say the Windows 10 Core and Home customers will only have the option of being part of the active branch, meaning they must agree to take all security and feature updates as soon as Microsoft pushes them out. Those running Windows 10 Pro and above will have the option to be on the active branch or the current branch, which means they will be obliged to take all security updates as soon as they’re ready, and all feature updates at some point (with some delay period allowed for current branch users). "

There are other views and articles out there though. One such article reckons Microsoft are essentially setting themselves up as a mobile phone style platform and will have an App Store and all the associated trimmings and will makes pots of money from people paying to download games and apps.

In the end I follow the age old adage that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Not “will have” but “already has”:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/apps/windows

:wink:

That would be the category of which I am part.

As I understand it, I have the opportunity to remove an update if I find that it is disadvantageous to me, or even damaging. This could be something like going back to a restore point; I’m not sure exactly whether this is the case as I haven’t looked into it yet.

All this uncertainty and still there’s no genuine justification for upgrading that I can determine.

No problems with windows 10 after 48 hours of use except that the fan on the laptop has been running flat out ever since i upgraded. Very strange!

I have read of others experiencing the same. Is there anything running in Task Manager (CPU column) that could account for it?

Windows 10’s default settings may require adjustment - for example, some functions which are monitoring your activity can be turned off and so can Wi-Fi Sense.

Also, your PC may be acting as a “server” of Windows Updates to other PC’s on the internet.

I have adjusted all my settings as advised and have never had a fan problem, either on my ex-Windows 7 laptop or my ex-Windows 8.1 desktop.

That’s a useful article Omah thanks, I will bookmark it for the time when I am eventually forced to go to Windows 10. I already do some of the recommendations in Win 7 such as blocking the webcam.

A more recent article with additional tips:

:wink:

Useful stuff. Thank you.

I posted earlier (#182) about difficulties upgrading my Novatech laptop to Win10. I have upgraded a Fujitsu machine, and the main benefit is a considerable increase in speed of boot up and general running, so I was keen to do the Novatech. After numerous attempts resulting in a blank screen and the need to reload 7 from scratch, I have finally established that the BIOS of the Pegatron A15A motherboard is not compatible with Win10, which explains my problems. There is a way to update the BIOS, but it can’t be done in Windows, as it is in use. It Involves burning a bootable USB drive with the new BIOS installed, and some complicated command line stuff, so I have decided to abandon the idea of upgrading this machine. If you make a mistake in any of the command line script, you can screw up the BIOS altogether, which then requires paying money to some Guru to fix it. The moral is that not all systems are compatible with Win 10, and the installation precheck done at the beginning of upgrade won’t necessarily detect the incompatibility.

Poor reason to upgrade to !in 10 imo. Every laptop or PC I have ever had, with a freshly installed Windows OS has booted up and run swiftly. Over time that all starts to degrade as you load more and more software and take on updates etc.

A cynic might well ask, “why is Microsoft pushing Win 10 out so hard and aggressively when the OS is not compatible with lots of hardware out there?”

As a minimum you would think that all the hardware that Win 7 and 8 could run happily on, they would make sure Win 10 also worked.

Far more going on here than people realise.

Yes, I remember reading an explanation for that from someone on here. Apparently, Windows 10 keeps a small component (a kernel? Sounds nuts!) running when the computer is turned off so that the start-up is much quicker. I suppose it must be some sort of ‘hibernation’.

On the other hand, I should imagine that doing so might still require some use of the battery and, perhaps over a couple of weeks (say, whilst away on holiday), the battery could be substantially drained. I don’t know, but I suppose I’ll find out when we go away later this year.