Windows 10 icon pop up

Well it happened. I was upgraded last night…and that hasn’t happened in years!..Everything seems as normal as anything ever is these days. It took 90 mins last night and the house is still standing this morning. Hang on a minute…what’s that loud ticking…

I downloaded from 8.1 to W10 when it was first offered. I dont have a prob with it, other than the default for storing your pics/downloads automatically goes into ONE DRIVE, which I dont like, they have just “shortened” the saving space so when it runs out you have to subscribe.
I have to move my pics ect. to MY PC which is a bit of a pain.
My friend has been trying to download W10 on her W7 today and its just keeps going round in circles and going no where.

I have OneDrive and also Dropbox, both of which I use for short-term backups of changed files until I have time to do a proper backup. When I save pictures on my computer, they go to my C:/Pictures folder as they always have done on earlier computers. Perhaps you have a strange set-up. I’m sure the default save location can be changed.
Also, my version of OneDrive has no time limit and was free to download.

Your friend is likely to be waiting for some time to upgrade to W10 as by all accounts it can take ages! Patience is a virtue.

my photos.pics etc use to automatically go in My Pictures(C/pictures) but changed when I got W10.
My friend has been getting the “go ahead” for W10 for a fortnight now, she decided to take plunge last night at designated time of 6:00 pm, the pc went through the “motions” black screen/ stopping/restarting, and then nothing changed!. it came up again this morning and the same thing happened.

Well change it back! There are plenty of help files to explain how to do this.
http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-change-your-default-save-locations-windows-10

I’m afraid I don’t know what the problem is, as I have never upgraded from W7 to W10; my new computer had W10 pre-installed. You could contact Microsoft.

As JBR says, the upgrade can take a very long time. The advice is not to turn the computer off but how long to wait before deciding if the process has really hung is difficult to know. The upgrade possibly taking 24 hours is mentioned in the article linked to below:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-upgrade-hangs

Thank you JBR for the info I have looked at the link.
and on checking the page it suggests all boxes are “ticked” for the correct places! the info also states that when you change to W10 that all the original storage places are kept. Not so I’m afraid with mine. nothing to do with you of course!
I’ll just keep moving them from ONE DRIVE LOL.
As to the amount of time for a download, that rings a bell with mine, all three of us have the same machines, bought at the same time, my hubbies took just 20 minutes to download, my sons 30 minutes and mine took 5 hours!!!
Technology is wonderful isn’t it LOL.
My friend had her machine on from 6:00pm till 11:00pm, perhaps she ought to have kept it on longer? I will see what she says.
thank you all for your help, and taking the time to reply.
P.

23 pages of thread about Windows 10 and I still haven’t read a single post from anyone explaining what specific functionality they are wanting from Windows 10 that justifies doing the upgrade!

Too true.

Mind you, mine boots up in less than 30 seconds, whereas my W7 machine takes several minutes. To me that’s a big advantage.

I never noticed TBH. I never shut down my laptop, I always hibernate. It’s never given me any issues and means it wakes up instantly as soon as I lift the cover up each morning.

Do you leave it hibernating even if you go away for a few days, or perhaps if you go away on holiday.

I’m sure that you realise that in hibernation it is still using up battery power.

You don’t leave it plugged in for days at a time, do you? :mrgreen:

It’s plugged in at home whenever I am using it but at night it gets unplugged and put into hibernation. Before doing that I always disable the WiFi on the laptop as WiFi chews up battery power though I suspect that’s probably unnecessary if it’s being hibernated.

So next morning there is plenty of battery life anyway.

If I go on holiday my laptop always goes with me, as does my smaller portable netbook for coffee shop surfing. The only exception is if I go on a cruise in which case I only take the netbook.

Most Windows 10 threads tend to be long. Probably because quite a number of people are installing the OS now. The upgrade isn’t plain sailing for everyone. Discussing whether to install it and the problems that arise (or don’t arise) is bound to cause many posts.

A direct answer to the quote is that there probably isn’t much, if anything, that definitely justifies going from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Nonetheless, I can think of some possible reasons why people might do so. These may or may not be the case:

* People want to upgrade before the free upgrade offer ends (July 29th).

* Perhaps because there’s a feeling of getting left behind if the latest OS isn’t used.

* Windows 7 or 8 isn’t working well and the hope is that Windows 10 will overwrite problems and so remove them.

* Some plain prefer to keep up with releases of operating systems (I’ve already given that as my reason. I upgraded permanently as soon as I found W.10 worked in a bug-free way).

I think something pointed out earlier in the thread is relevant. This being that if we didn’t upgrade operating systems, we’d still all be using Windows 95 (post #182 by Seadog)

When comparing an existing OS to the next one along, there may not be any apparent advantage of changing …and even plenty of disadvantages. Over the years however, programs have got better, with computers having faster processing power and more detailed graphics. Would this have been possible if Microsoft development had stopped at Window 95? I don’t think so but you never know I suppose.

There is an advantage in people being willing to use the latest OS, give feedback on it, solve any problems that arise and pass on general experiences. It all adds to the evolution of operating systems, just as it did with Windows 7.

And, as I mentioned earlier, I’m sure I can’t be the only person to have found that Windows 10 boots up more quickly than Windows 7 and earlier.

Re. your third bullet point, I believe that Windows 7 worked perfectly whereas Windows 8 was a retrograde step. Windows 10 was developed in an attempt to persuade the many people who were disappointed with Windows 8 to remain with Windows instead of going down the Apple or Linux route.

In all honesty I haven’t really seen any great functionality increase since Win 95.

All I see is a manufacturer who realises that there is no money to be made in developing one single sturdy and reliable operating system, so they make them shaky, unwieldy, with security holes so that they can repeatedly sell us service packs and new versions whilst at the same time, really not offering anything of useful substance in any of the newer versions. They just move all the icons and options around so we can’t find them which means we all have to “learn anew” the OS giving the illusion that it is somehow new and significantly different.

Every bullet point you list is simply the result of clever marketing and manufacturing. There is not one meaningful justification for each new OS release. People are saps. I have NEVER once upgraded my Windows OS. Whatever came with my PC or laptop is what I used and when it came to the time where the laptop died and had to be replaced, I took whatever was preloaded. So I’ve never wasted any money on stupid versions of Windows that delivered nothing of substance to the end user. Never had Vista, never had Windows 8. Given the choice I will also never have Windows 10 but I strongly suspect that the megalomanical world dominating Microsoft will introduce software that most websites will take up but which old Windows versions will cease to work with. For example they will introduce a new version of JavaScript that only works with Windows 10 and once most websites are using that JavaScript version everyone without Windows 10 will be buggered. Same for Adobe Flash and all the other “connected” corporations.

Does your computer have a SSD? Mine has and I think that’s mostly the reason it boots so quickly. Windows 7 might boot equally fast on it.

I got on OK with Windows 8 but well, 'tis gone now for me. Even so, there was so much talk about Linux at the time that I installed firstly Ubuntu and went from that to Linux Mint. The latter is very Windows-like. I’m surprised it doesn’t have more of a following amongst home users who can’t get on with Microsoft’s operating systems.

No it doesn’t. When I was looking for a new laptop I found articles about SSDs and their supposed advantages. However, having read technical reviews, I learnt that SSDs are not necessarily the all singing, all dancing inclusions they were said to be. The computer I bought came out with faster figures than a competitor which featured SSD.

I’ve bolded a couple of parts of your post Realist.

The first bold: I think one single sturdy and reliable operating system is what Microsoft wants to achieve. Fed up with supporting several operating systems at the same time perhaps.

The second bold: It won’t matter how points are put. I’ve noticed that anyone who doesn’t agree with you gets branded similarly.

I’ll have to time Mrs mart’s computer. Windows 10 without a SSD but not such high specification computer in general as mine. That might slow it down a bit compared to your own figures perhaps.

This is undoubtedly true.

Whilst I appreciate (as I said) the faster boot-up time of Windows 10, I was dismayed to see how the interface was completely different to what I was used to with W7.
Even after having made the necessary improvements to make it look more like W7, I still find that when I want to locate a specific installed programme, for example, I have to go searching in unfamiliar territory. Even when I have managed to locate the new ‘All Apps’ feature, I sometimes cannot find a programme that I know must be there somewhere.
Yes, in some respects I found W7 easier to use though perhaps it’s just a matter of getting used to the new system. But why, as you say, did they need to change things that didn’t need changing?
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!