Win 10 worse than a blasted, pushy door to door salesman

that screen shot it shows is exactly the same as what I got.
I closed it by clicking the X in the top right corner too.

They’re fibbing though when Microsoft claim you can still refuse to accept.
My download started as scheduled, so I switched my computer off. Next time I switched it on …the download countdown started all over again.
I’ve stopped my automatic updates now and cleared the pesky kb file out.
Tis bliss now. Peace at last :smiley:

Peace is attainable by stopping the nag and the subsequent upgrade using one of the ways described in this thread (right from page one onwards), or by taking the time/trouble to upgrade. Doing nothing and hoping the pressure will go away doesn’t seem to be an option. It may happen that the nags will stop once the ‘free’ offer ends on July 29th but this perhaps can’t be relied on.

The reasons for staying put or upgrading have been discussed to a great degree. Microsoft obviously want people to upgrade and reasons for that are much discussed too. All that can be done is to read here and elsewhere, for as many opinions as can be put up with, then decide what to do one way or the other. There are many other places on the Internet where similar discussions are taking place.

An option might be to prevent the upgrade until ‘new computer’ time comes. Any new computer will come with Windows 10 pre-installed. If getting a new computer is planned in the near future, stopping the upgrade could be the way to go. Perhaps what might not be wanted though, is the situation where the current computer won’t be changed for ages yet and then wishing that the upgrade had been done when it was ‘free’. The ‘freeness’ of W.10 has also been discussed and this is another factor to consider.

Upgrading can’t be guaranteed to be trouble-free. Some report problems but we are probably more likely to read/hear more from those experiencing difficulties than those who aren’t. There are perhaps millions of upgraders who just get on and use their upgraded system successfully without feeling the need to post in forums and say so. If they did, maybe forums would be swamped by millions of people reporting ‘no problems’.

It’s been a few weeks now since I took the plunge. While I must say I was a bit apprehensive, the changeover was quite straightforward with very little noticeable difference in operation. A few new apps that I can’t see me using but certainly all of my music, photos and various other stuff is just where I left it. So no complaints from me…so far.

Will people now stop buying new computers because the new computers have W 10???

W 10 is a lot better than W 7

OK so they track YOU… Google and FB have been doing that for years.

So do the adverts on this site and all others sites like this

Don’t like it then AFTER every browsing sessions delete your Temp internet files.

They don’t track me Galty. I have Facebook’s server IP addresses blocked in my firewall, as well as all of Google’s ad servers/services. If you take any interest in privacy you research these things and take the necessary actions to protect yourself.

FB members who are clueless about this are not only being tracked when they use Facebook, but in addition FB are tracking every other website they are visiting via their little “Like” widgets which just about every website has these days. All a bit nefarious and Big Brother.

I also run with JavaScript disabled most of the time so I don’t see any adverts or ad banners or stupid pop ups. Simple precautions really to stay private.

But that is to be expected at this early “get the bums on seats” stage in the MS agenda. The “bite” will come some months down the line once everyone they can get is committed and stuck with it. That’s when the restructuring will truly start and likely the subscriptions. Let’s see how many of those “happy” people are then posting on forums !

You don’t work for Dopey Dave and his scare campaign, do you? :lol:

The part of my post quoted by Realist was to do with the technicalities of upgrading, not what direction Microsoft might go in once people are on Windows 10. The whole paragraph was:

Upgrading can’t be guaranteed to be trouble-free. Some report problems but we are probably more likely to read/hear more from those experiencing difficulties than those who aren’t. There are perhaps millions of upgraders who just get on and use their upgraded system successfully without feeling the need to post in forums and say so. If they did, maybe forums would be swamped by millions of people reporting ‘no problems’.

But anyway, regarding the ‘subscription’ point…

I have read here and other places how Windows 10 could become a subscription service. Equally read are articles and opinions saying that it won’t happen. My take on that is ‘never say never’ but to bear in mind that Microsoft don’t need to make money out of the OS by charging a subscription for it.

Money can be made via ‘in app’ purchases, Office 356 subscriptions and renting space on OneDrive. People will have the choice not to buy into those services but world-wide, plenty will do so. Also, this upgrade is only free for a limited time (ends July 29th this year unless extended). After that time, licences will have to be bought and Microsoft will soon make up any losses incurred from giving away the OS free for a year. They will also get licence money from nearly every new computer sold. Overall, Microsoft still win with W.10 even without charging a subscription for it.

It will indeed be interesting to see how happy people are with Windows 10 a few months or years down the line.

Microsoft already make money from subscriptions of those Apps. Office has been a chargeable download/license proposition for quite some time now. They didn’t need to go to all this trouble of aggressive and underhand W10 upgrading for any App subscriptions. There is very clearly a bigger financial element to the whole strategy.

The “get it quick because it’s only free for while” line is pure sales tactics. Since the dawn of time, the No 1 sales pressure tactic has always been to make the customer buy quickly thinking they will miss out if not. This is retail streetwise 101. Any time a salesman creates a situation where it requires you to buy quickly and make snap judgements, the best course of action is usually to walk away. You rarely get a good result when there is no time to properly research and consider the sales details.

Microsoft will undoubtedly extend the deadline, it is plainly obvious. If they are so keen for people to take W10 then they are not about to throw any obstacles in the way of remaining punters. The date will be extended and even then, when the next date is reached they will make some “offer” to the remaining potential customers and dissenters such as a cheap package of W10 bundled with Office etc.

Like you I have read articles both for and against Microsoft turning Windows into a subscription service. I have also seen articles which explain that Microsoft have already outlined a system for charging for Windows Updates. So all those updates that everyone has downloaded for free thus far, will potentially become chargeable. You don’t need too many brain cells to figure that few people would then download those updates and that Microsoft must consequently have worked out some clever strategy to ensure they do.

This is why I believe that what you have currently is by no means how it is going to be months from now (or maybe in 1-2 years even). They will first hook people into the App store and get some specific Apps on people’s PCs either by offering them free, by creating addictive games and so on.
Then there will be some new version of those Apps made available which is much better but which will only run if you have the latest Windows Updates.

As I have said in earlier posts this is very old hat for Microsoft. The console world has experienced this for some years. You buy a new game for your XBOX and aside from the game itself it comes pre-loaded with console updates and changes that you don’t necessarily want. But the game won’t install unless you accept those changes/updates. You don’t realistically get a choice, you’ve already bought the game from the shop and have unpacked it only to find that it now won’t install unless you accept updates. It’s a rather nefarious trick and way to operate.

Then of course the other strategy we have seen in the console world is when new games are developed that are purpose made to only work on a new console platform. Fans of a given game genre like say Halo or Call Of Duty who just want to continue buying subsequent games from that developer, find that they have to buy an entire new console just to be able to do so. Mostly they have no interest in a new console, as it doesn’t generally offer that much more in functionality, a bit of extra processing power, more memory perhaps but nothing any gamer really needed.

Like I said, MS are old hands at this kind of “captive audience” exploitation. They know exactly what they are doing imo. I believe people will end up needing to pay for Windows updates just to be able to run the software they want to run. Time will tell.

The days of the free rides with software could be coming to an end. Adobe now run a subscription service for Photoshop. My favourite art program is now offering the program with the ‘365’ label attached, meaning that updates for it are supplied for one year as the developers introduce them. Further updates issued after signing up for the next year. Office 365 is subscription too.

I think even if that happens with Windows 10, it will depend how much is charged as to whether the general public would get upset about it.

I have bought some stuff from the Microsoft App Store and found it inexpensive. The worst part about that now is that almost everything is free but there are ‘in app’ purchases and plenty of advertising.

I’d rather pay a few Pounds and not have the adverts personally. I’m more apt to buy from ‘BigFish’ or ‘Steam’ when it comes to games.

Steam OS (based on Linux) might be the way for gamers to go in the future.

The whole computer field never stops still. It is possible to hang onto earlier software in the hope of avoiding change and I know that’s some peoples’ preference. Or you can go with the changes and react when something isn’t liked. As said, that’s my own preference.

Of course they track you.

Book a holiday on line see how many ads you get on this site and others offering holidays.

If you don’t delete your TIF every session they track you.

As per my prev post Galty, I don’t get ANY ads on this site or any other because I have JavaScript disabled. Even if I temporarily re-enable JavaScript for say online banking, I don’t get targeted adverts because (again as per my prev post) I have Google’s ad servers and analytic servers blocked in my firewall and browser.

Facebook sites, widgets and other nefarious tracking doesn’t touch me because all the FB servers are blocked in my firewall.

Temporary Internet Files are ALWAYS deleted after every session too, because I long since enabled the browser option to automatically delete those files on exit. You don’t need to manually delete.

Yes Steam is a pretty good sales portal for games but requires that you download everything which, when games can be many GB’s is impractical and time-consuming and will massively eat into the broadband quota for anyone who does not have unlimited data.

There are some physical games you can buy in a shop which require that you have a steam account, but it’s a faff then copying files around manually and telling steam not to download the same content.

There are also some moral DRM issues with Steam. You have to question “what is the asset that I have actually bought?”. If I buy a book, I can freely choose to let my wife read it or a friend. It is an asset.

If I buy a Steam game, I have nothing physical, just a collection of 1s and 0s on a PC. That collection of 1s and 0s is tied to my Steam account and I can’t then “give” it to someone else. It took Steam a long time to be pressured into creating some kind of “family” system where family members can freely play any of the games but even so it is still currently a mess. All they allow is for ONE person to use that ONE steam account at a time. So if I allow my wife to play a game that I bought, she plays it by locking my account, the entire account, so that I can’t play anything on it myself whilst she is playing.

In short DRM stinks to high heaven and is just a method to make us pay money for nothing, for no actual asset.

All software is gradually following suit. Where you used to own a Microsoft Office CD and could install it or move it about on any of your PCs or laptop, now you have only a download.

Ordinarily I might agree with this. As it is, I fear that those who elect to accept W10 early will later find themselves totally locked in and unable to change their minds. I say that because I anticipate that MS will issue a deadline for the cessation of the Win 7/8 activation service. So people thinking that they will simply re-install Win 7/8 if they don’t like W10 I suspect will find it impossible. I’m just speculating here though.

Sorry, can’t be bothered to read through every page here but if anyone wants a programme to disable Win 10 from installing, dead easy let me know. Apologies if someone’s already mentioned it.

A few times!

OK, sorry - that’s the trouble when you’ve not been on line for a while and see a topic with dozens of pages.

No problem. The solutions have been posted, but some people seem to be a little unsure as to whether to try them out.

Why not post yours anyway? It might have been mentioned already, but it might not. I know there are several ways of doing it.

So thanks for that you made my point.

I only do it once a week.

Well, I suppose we’re all getting older.

Yes but not stupid…YET