Win 10 worse than a blasted, pushy door to door salesman

:shock: It’s stalking me … I feel hunted (or haunted).

I don’t want it as I’m happy with my Win 7.
So for weeks I’ve been ignoring these boxes that pop up saying my free , magnificent, not to be missed gobbling up the world global giant Win 10 is scheduled for it’s download. I’ve just closed the boxes. Ignored them.

And been lulled into a false sense of security.

Last night about 10.30 I wandered away from my laptop to make a cuppa.
I came back to find a countdown box ticking away with 10 minutes 58 seconds to go… download imminent.
Argh … :shock: after a thirty second panicked abdab I switched off my computer, blew into a brown paper bag to calm down and went to bed.
A little nervously, with nails gnawed to my elbows I switched it on today.
As soon as it loaded, as normal, … another box popped up and launched in to its countdown.
This time I remained calm, cool and collected . I read the box properly… before I panicked.
I selected reschedule . which took me to another page with a drop box offering a delay of some hours . … and then saw tucked at the bottom of the box a link that said Cancel.
I hit it. Whoopee!
Next I was asked again if I’d like to Cancel or Proceed.
I selected Cancel again and the box vanished.
My blood pressure dropped and I went off for some nibbles.
I came back to find another box had popped up asking if I’d like to download now or later tonight.

I’m piggin sick of all this. I’m considering suing Microsoft for unnecessary harassment and emotional and mental distress.
Why can’t they damn well just accept I don’t want Win 10.

I almost put this in the grumble section … I feel so much better for my gripe.
I shall now have a wander in webland and then disconnect from my network where Win 10 is lurking in shadows waiting to pounce.

Seriously … is anyone else getting this bother and how have they avoided it
I’m just plain thick and non-techno. :frowning:

1 Like

Ahhhh :twisted: I have a similar problem Morty :shock:

I am being stalked by W10 too , it creeps onto the screen when I am not looking and I zap it then it creeps back again.
I am thinking of getting a rolled up newspaper to whack it with :lol:

I think there may be a way of turning it off somewhere, try asking Google …

i got my little window to stay on my toolbar,watching every move i take lol

Thing is one day you will have to use W10. maybe not this year but you will.

Embrace the monster.

Morty, are you receiving updates from microsoft?
I switched them off as soon as I purchased this computer a couple of years ago and have not received any prompting to download W10.

I’ve never used it, so can’t help with usage but I read that many use a program called ‘GWX Control Panel’. It can be downloaded from the site linked to below where there is also a video to watch.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/gwx_control_panel.html

You probably aren’t plain thick and non-techno but if not confident in ways of looking after the computer, it might be best to get someone nearby with some knowledge to help you out with it.

I think I read somewhere that there is a specific Windows update that causes these annoying ‘reminders’.

I don’t know which one, but if you can google it you should be able to delete it. Then keep a record of the KB number so that if Windows Update should list it again, you can choose not to download it.

You need to set Windows Update to only download updates and not automatically install them.

Edit:
Here it is:

And here:

It used to be something to do with Windows Update KB3035583, and GWXUX.EXE I found out what to do with them on some site and followed their instructions to get rid of them and get no problems with my space being invaded now :smiley:
Edited

Yes, follow the explanations in either of my links and you should have extricated yourself from the claws of Windows 10.

Having said that, there is an argument for ‘upgrading’. If you leave it much longer you’ll find that there is a charge for upgrading to W10.

Also, there will eventually cease to be any support for W7.

Oh …I’m so so glad I had a good moan now.

Thanks for your help everyone … I’ve saved the links, had a read and it sounds within my level of competence so I’ll tackle the brute tomorrow.
Gosh … I’m so happy I could hug you all …so I shall :grouphug::grouphug::041::mini:

Mmmmmmmm. That was nice.

Go to Control Panel/Windows Update and right-click on any updates you don’t want and choose hide from the pull-down menu. You shouldn’t be bothered by further updates.

Morticia

You are in this poor state because you have “Windows Updates” set to run automatically or because you purposefully manually accepted a Windows Update.

Like OldGreyFox I don’t ever allow Windows Updates.

So you must decide what you want.

The Windows 10 crap came down in a specific Windows Update whose number is KB3035583.

You can easily uninstall that update and all this stalking will disappear. But if you leave your system set to automatically allow Windows Updates, it will just come down the line again.

There exists a program that someone has developed to stop all the reminders. However, not being a Microsoft programme, you run it at your own risk.

Personally, I would turn off Windows Updates and uninstall update KB3035583.

Read this link for full details and instructions:

Help, DON’T WANT Windows 10

But it’s trying to give it to me. All I did was click off the upgrade box, I did not say I wanted it, but it seems to think I do & it’s messing up my pc, because the box for it is so large.:shock::surprised::cry::twisted:

I’ve read those links but as I’m not technically minded I have no idea what to do. It’s all greek to me.

Well how about this then?

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Just click the ‘Jump to freeware page’ and download it there for the free version.
Never10 will tell you whether the Windows 10 upgrade is enabled on your system. If it is, click the “Disable Win10 Upgrade” button.

Simple as that.

Its details can be read in the first link I posted earlier:

if you scroll about half-way down the page to the section “Never10: The Best and Easiest Way to Prevent Windows 10”.

Have a look. It can’t hurt!

you lot are funny!
its is a painless operation you know:lol:

Right … I went and ferreted out that KB3035583 and uninstalled it.
When I restarted …Guess what … it re-installed it back on my laptop. :shock:
I’ve got rid of it again but thus is getting like playing ping pong.

Question.
When you say to stop automatic windows updates do you mean totally?
I’m a bit nervous about doing that as isn’t supposed to include stuff I do need?
Or is it best to opt for Check for downloads before downloading and installing … is that best?

This is beginning to do my head in.
I’m warming to the idea of just connecting to my broadband for a couple of hours a day and then taking myself offline for the rest.

Just lie back and think of England (if you know who’s in the team)

As I said, Morty, save yourself a lot of hassle and use this:

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Read my post of 1212am today for further details.