Win 10 worse than a blasted, pushy door to door salesman

God, I love this forum…such interesting folk…:041::041::041:

This is true for most but not for me. I usually go to a local computer builder, get it built to requirements and buy an installation disk as an extra. I can choose which OS I want. I’d recommend this way of buying a computer.

They install the OS from the disk for test purposes but most often, I end up installing it again myself. It might be thought that I own the software because of this but I don’t. I only own the licence to run it and that applies to everybody running Windows software, whatever the version. In that respect we are all owned by Microsoft …if you want to think like that. See Number 8 in the PDF linked to below. Read the whole lot to see how free you really are.

https://www.strath.ac.uk/media/ps/its/its-software/Windows_7_Professional_English_7bb89e9f-20ea-4555-892f-394539ec1090.pdf

Install Linux if you actually want to own an operating system.

Regarding updates, some trust does have to be given. No trust of course means no updates allowed by the user. Fair enough. However, I take the view that it was Microsoft who built the operating system and not me. On balance, I have to judge that Microsoft are far more likely than me to know what their operating system needs, so I allow updates. I have only rarely suffered because of this. Microsoft have been known to supply a duff update from time to time but those are usually soon rectified.

There are places where the updates are listed for those who want to find them. True that the information has to be believed though.

I have decided I am not going to upgrade to W10, I have got everything set up how I want it and can’t be bothered with the hassle of doing it all again :lol:.

I appreciate my current system won’t be supported indefinitely
but I am in line for another laptop from my ‘tame supplier’ in a couple of years and will manage till then.

In which case you’ll have to have W10 whether you like it or not!

Yes Meg will JBR, but her new machine will be faster with a larger capacity and more capable at running more advanced operating systems. You wouldn’t try and fit a Ferrari engine into a Ford Focus would you?
Interesting concept though…

That will be fine JBR :slight_smile: it won’t conflict with any existing programmes and my son can just copy the things I want over.

Normally if a major change is to made my son saves my stuff then wipes my computer and reinstalls everything from scratch but he is too busy to ask at the moment and I don’t trust myself to carry out such a major operation.

Actually, all this complaining about Windows 10 suggests it’s something to be avoided at all costs. It isn’t. I have it and, apart from getting used to some differences in appearance, etc, it is not half bad. In fact, I have made mine look very much like Windows 7, which I am used to.

Also, as far as I am aware, Windows 10 doesn’t need much more disc space than Windows 7, and if your present machine runs W7 I am sure it will run W10 just as well if not slightly faster.

The one complaint I do agree with is that the system keeps nagging at you to upgrade, and it does beg the question as to why Microsoft are so keen on everyone adopting W10. Microsoft shouldn’t have done that as it does seem to annoy many people. However, as we can all read above, there are simple methods of overcoming that.

Yep we don’t ask much. Just ten bob and a chocolate watch.

Failing that a nice cup of tea and a slice of bakewell tart will do nicely.

There will always be a cup of tea and a piece of cake here for you Realist…By the way, it’s a good job it’s an over fifties forum else nobody would know what ‘Ten Bob’ was.

Some of us are old enough to know what a groat is. :mrgreen:

I’ve accepted the inevitable and think I’ll have to upgrade to Windows 10 from my present W 8 sometime soon, but I was more than annoyed this morning to find my computer had installed the wretched windows 10 and wanted me to “accept”. I didn’t and the whole system went into spasm! Eventually it reinstalled windows 8. But…when I’m ready…I’ll go to windows 10 as I can’t see a way around it. I’m also planning to switch to Apple before too long as I hate the way Windows are forcing themselves on people. Someone told me that an Apple computer can be partitioned to accept some Windows software - can anyone confirm that?

I do agree that this tactic adopted by Microsoft is the wrong one. I’m not averse to having W10, but this should be at the sole discretion of the user who, after all, has paid for the OS installed.

I have to say, though, and I hope not to insult anyone here, that I and others have posted several different methods of preventing this ‘attempted take-over’ of users’ computers and would suggest that instead of everyone continuing to complain about the problem they simply follow one of the procedures suggested.

very true JBR, I did and it solved the problem straightaway.

so did i,and it seems my lappy runs faster

I would…but just a little cautious as to complications with work software…and knowing how technically incompetent I am!

Nothing is inevitable. Stay in control.

Have you not read the posts in this thread ??? I’ve posted exactly how to get around it. Just disable windows updates and uninstall the specific update KB3035583. It would take you about 2 mins to do, what’s the problem?

She’s frightened! If you were a helpful sort of chap, you’d go down to the IoW and do it for her!

Just out of interest, if it were a choice for me between W8 and W10 there’d be no question. As far as I’m concerned W8 is almost as bad as the dreaded Vista.

I have just been chatting to my sister on the phone, I sent her some photographs but her PC isn’t working . She had the computer man in to check it and apparently W10 appears to have ‘downloaded itself’ :shock:.

The last person to use the PC was her grandson so it looks like he must have accidently clicked on the automatic ‘download in 12 hours’ alert message that I had on my laptop the other day.

You’ll be amazed at this…when I bought my new laptop, the man who said he’d sort out all my techie problems, said I could buy any laptop with any version of Windows…and he could take that version off and install Windows XP… He took so long, I went out and left him to it - he failed! But…he signed onto my facebook page and “friended” himself!!!

Strange things do 'appen down 'ere!

Nil desperandum.

I’m not absolutely sure, but I think I read somewhere that it is possible to revert to the previous version of Windows within a limited time frame.

Perhaps here ‘computer man’ might be able to help, but I shouldn’t use Lindyloo’s computer man!