Will you pledge allegiance to King Charles?

Enough keep voting for the same outdated political system, if change is wanted it has to be a complete change. A new broom sweeps clean.

2 Likes

I’m thinking it’s a no from these Celtic supporters, then? :rofl:

3 Likes

I’ve always said this Cinders. You can’t repair a broken system that’s too far gone and corrupt. The only way is to tear it down and start again…

It would be difficult for me anyway as I have already sworn allegiance to my wife.

2 Likes

My son on the subject!

“I’m going to do it full Game of Thrones style. Bend the knee, offer up my sword… and obviously I’m going to be doing that in Tescos “ :rofl:

Hi

I have decided to change my mind.

I will swear allegiance to Charles, the next time I bump into him at Lidls reduced counter

3 Likes

Dimbleby, who is attending the Coronation on Saturday, said he feels there may have been a miscommunication because it is “so different from the king that I know”.

Asked what the King thinks of the idea, he told the Today programme that he did not know “for certain”, but added: "I can think of nothing that he would find more abhorrent.

"He’s never wanted to be revered. He’s never wanted, so far as I know, to have anyone pay homage to him except in mock terms as a joke.

He added that it is “so different from the King that I know to ask for homage or to expect homage”.

Dimbleby said it seemed to him to be an initiative by the archbishop “who thought it would be a good thing to give everyone a chance to pay that homage”.

It is unclear who came up with the idea, but it is “pretty inconceivable” that Buckingham Palace was not aware of the homage element or the entire order of service before it was announced, the BBC’s Religion Editor Aleem Maqbool told the Today programme.

Earlier this week, the archbishop said it was fine if people did not want to join in the voluntary oath.

Asked about some newspaper reports suggesting he had gone “rogue”, he insisted the service had been a “huge, collaborative [with Buckingham Palace and the Cabinet Office] and very lovely process”.

“There’s no individual who can claim the credit for this service,” he added.

While reading out the oath, the archbishop will call upon “all persons of goodwill in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and of the other realms and the territories to make their homage, in heart and voice, to their undoubted King, defender of all”.

The order of service will read: "All who so desire, in the abbey, and elsewhere, say together:

“I swear that I will pay true allegiance to Your Majesty, and to your heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God.”

Poor Charles, meant to his day yet it’s being hijacked by media, who are behind most of this inanity. :partying_face:

I have to say, it doesn’t sound much like what he usually does

I think maybe it was meant to be make it more inclusive so everybody could be part of the ceremony, not just peers

But now that’s backfired and it makes it look like he wants a gigantic ego trip with all the commoners pledging to him! :rofl::rofl:

I think it might have gone better if people were invited to pledge to our country, not him personally

Best not to pledge anything to any person or country. The Commonwealth historically connected to the British Empire; might have a few less members as early as next year.

1 Like

I’ve already pledged allegiance to my own Queen, with 47 years of marriage. That’ll do for the time being! :innocent:

1 Like

like all servicemen i pledged to the Queen, but im not sure if i didnt swear allegiance when i was in the Boys Brigade when she was Crowned…
well im no longer in either so no i wont be bothered…

1 Like

I pledged allegiance to my wife. That was more than enough.

1 Like

I just remembered it was in the Brownie’s promise when I got enrolled back in the 60s

They’ve changed it to this now :woman_shrugging:

"I promise that I will do my best, to be true to myself and develop my beliefs, to serve the King and my community, to help other people and to keep the (Brownie) Guide law. "

1 Like

I was reading about this absurd idea.

“I swear that I will pay true allegiance to Your Majesty, and to your heirs and successors according to law. So help me God.”

As long as people realise that " heirs and successors" include Prince Andrew and Prince Harry, I am sure everybody is excited to swear allegiance to them.

There was a Dr of something from Leicester uni on the radio this morning that mentioned that this idea of everybody making a pledge had gone down like a lead balloon.

4 Likes

I see it was suggested by Justin Welby
No wonder the C of E is disappearing what an out of touch prat .

1 Like

Not a Pledge person, more of a Mr Sheen!!

3 Likes

I really feel this nonsense is outdated and times have changed , we won’t be dumbed down nowadays. My dad used to say they are the richest family on social security !

2 Likes

Maybe i will swear at Charles but that is all

1 Like

My feelings exactly, Ripple. :+1:

And a no from me.

So, they’ve back tracked and done away with it :rofl:

Now the Arch Bish will just invite you to join in say God Save King Charles!

And to be fair, with his family problems, lack of personality and quiche for lunch, he’s going to need some saving!