Will you be voting for the Conservative Party in the 2024 UK General Election? (poll)

We didn’t make anything long before brexit, all the factories were sold off to foreign investors

3 Likes

Sorry to dash your hopes .
I meant it.

2 Likes

Not for long Maree…As the old codgers die off and the birth rates are down we are being replaced by foreign labour and other incomers.

3 Likes

A Hung Party, I’d like to hang the lot of them

1 Like

This is the problem with this conscription nonsense.

1 Like

That is what I meant, traitors were in the past.

I find your post to be very interesting, and I believe, to be quite correct. This would be true anywhere in the world today. I am an American, and though I have spent much time in Europe, especially the UK, I have little knowledge of current (been 14 years) European politics, but the world has changed in every aspect over the last 50 years, socially / politically / technology, but the biggest issue that stands out to me(especially in the USA) is partisan politics, there is little (if any) interparty collaboration. We need leadership interesting in furthering the good of our nations as a whole.

5 Likes

Might as well vote >> “Monster Raving Loony Party”.

Cameron is mighty pleased to announce. Our New PM.
Parliament, Immigration NHS & The Whole UK. “Sorted”.
At the drop of a hat. :rofl:

1 Like

It’s not National Service as you think of it:

It would be made up of two broad streams for 18-year-olds to choose from:

• Community volunteering: Spending one weekend every month - which equates to 25 days over a 12-month period - volunteering with organisations such as the NHS, fire service, ambulance, search and rescue, and critical local infrastructure
  • Military training: Applying for one of up to 30,000 “selective” military placements reserved for teenagers deemed the “brightest and the best” in areas like logistics, cyber security, procurement or civil response operations over a year-long period

The vast majority of 18-year-olds would not take part in any military training at all.

3 Likes

This is interesting wendeey, I was waiting to find out what it would entail before making a judgement - unlike some folks on here! I didn’t think it would be like the original National Service because the world has moved on since then.

2 Likes

All fine ideas, but I can only imagine these emergency services don’t actually have time to look after a teenager who is only there to fulfil some community volunteering. the poor teens would get in the way, surely?

2 Likes

Pixie it would be no different to school kids doing work experience, my daughter went into the hospital in the department that tests blood and she absolutely loved it, although didn’t go in that direction in the end.

She originally wanted to go into forensics, but as they wouldn’t allow school kids to do work experience they suggested she applied to the hospital which she did.

Don’t know which article I was reading now, but they were also saying that the community service part would also be things like taking prescriptions to the elderly, keeping lonely people company, etc. I did that when I was at school, it was a brilliant experience.

3 Likes

Oh I do think its a good idea, yes, but in practice I’m thinking (hoping not though) that they may be a bit of a hinderance, given the state of things in the emergency services right now :frowning:

1 Like

“Only 20>25%” Of those applying to be ‘Armed Service Regulars’.
Make and complete 10weeks Induction.
Small chance. Reluctant, State Imposed Volunteers. Would usefully last 5minsl.
If Prison Officers get cheesed off maintaining order.
You can be sure a Drill Sargent would make it “Abundantly” Clear!
“Take a Long walk. Off a Short pier. Sunshine”
That’s the Polite version. :wink:

1 Like

Yes Correct Pixie…I do avoid Politics, but I know enough of the dire situation that the NHS is experiencing…Still and ongoing because no real effort is being made…talk talk talk…that is no good of course but they, the ones in power think talking is progress…well it is in some instances but not when it comes to VITAL HEALTH SERVICES…Facts time…

An NHS under pressure.

Words are not required are they…those that live with Rose Colours are not helping to spread the real life Word …the NHS has needs that are being ignored once again…All very well being there to Serve the Rich but they Generally like to hold on to there fortunes in Truth. The pot is shared…unfairly OH YES…that is how I see this NHS disaster on the edge now…Youngster coming in to help…Goodness me…who and how are they to be over see’d…!!!

1 Like

I always did.

1 Like

I will not be voting Labour, Green or Lib Dem either. The Independent guy standing in our region is a decent chap.

2 Likes

"Things can only get better "
D:Ream’s founding members Alan Mackenzie and Peter Cunnah said they would deny any request to use their track in the upcoming General Election.
The band expressed regret at letting Tony Blair have permission for his general election victory in 1997, saying they were accused of “having blood on their hands” after the UK got involved with the war in Iraq, adding they would not let their music mix with politics again.
A reminder of those “exciting” times: