Will you be voting for the Conservative Party in the 2024 UK General Election? (poll)

I’ve sent my 200 postal votes in all under assumed names…Well it worked for Sleepy Joe Biden…
:sunglasses:

1 Like

There was a piece on our evening news about the Tories problems

Postal Voting, is certainly a convenient method.
Stimulating one who finds, getting our of bed a a mammoth task.
Also dispelling any inclination to Apathy. By ignoring the whole Pantomime.
My return won’t be posted until a week before Demolition Day.
JIC .Its wisdom goes to some analytic process. And becomes a ‘Genghis Khan’ Influencer.
:wink: :rofl: All the way to the commode.

1 Like

How does that work exactly? Details of how you register all these names. Details of how, when they receive your 200 postal votes and check them against the electoral register, these votes all go through. Basically details of why you are convinced of fraud when its consistently been shown not to exist on anything other than a tiny scale.

1 Like

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Got Ya!.. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/research-reports-and-data/electoral-fraud-data
It Exists even if deemed on a small scale. A small scale has little impact on Parliamentary Voting. But On Local Councillor election A very significant fraudulent impact. Postal voting seen as the primary source.

1 Like

There are thousands of reports on the cost of living and rent crisis in lefty run Australia. Here’s one below.

The left of centre G20 leaders are unpopular, so the idea UK Labour will fix things, bares no scrutiny

1 Like

Well of course your claim of submitting false postal votes was not true. But your comment about Biden reflects something often bandied about - postal voting and voting without IDs is in some way rife with fraud. But they are not.

Conradd I was talking to a friend whose daughter has just moved to Australia and she was telling me how they’ve got a housing crisis, I was so surprised to hear that as the impression I got from some on here was we were the only country in the world to be having the problems that we’ve got.

2 Likes

Oh look surprise surprise looks like France is going through the same thing:

3 Likes

Thank goodness you are aware.
It often feels quite lonely being the only one who is aware how leading reporters like Ben Chu, Jon Sopel, Emily Maitless and James O’Brien mislead people.

The main way it’s done is by fact omission.

EG report on negatives without pointing out other western nations having the exact same issues such as with lack of growth.

If you think growth is only a UK issue, you are mislead that it must be due to poor governance but if you are told others are having the same issue, you have to consider deeper thinking beyond childish tribal politics

3 Likes

Great point.

A while ago I was mocked for pointing to vast numbers of Canadians and Aussies making vids about their personal experiences of cost of living crisis.

The snobbish assumption was that pompous metrolectual reporters like Peston have a better grasp of cost of living than real people on Tik Tok crying about their own lives. Not influencers, ordinary folk.

There is just no way that posh twit MSM reporters are a better source of information than actual citizens in vast numbers all saying the same thing

4 Likes

According to LBC there are 7 million undecided voters out there, I hope they all come to their senses.

Tories did not lay waste to the economy, but the myth suits Labour’s campaign message

Without minimising the challenges faced by Starmer and Reeves, it is actually not a bad time to be arriving in office

Labour will win by a mile but is coming to power at the worst possible moment. The economy has been laid waste by the Conservatives, who have deployed a scorched earth policy that will ensure the incoming government has the inheritance from hell.

That, at least, is the conventional wisdom, a view that Keir Starmer and Rachel Reeves have done nothing to counter. There is a reason for that. It suits Labour’s campaign message to paint the blackest possible picture so that it can blame the Tories for any tough decisions they have to make.

Even so, the conventional wisdom is wrong. Without in any way minimising the challenges Starmer and Reeves face, this is actually not a bad time to be arriving in office.

Sure, excessively high interest rates threaten to derail the UK’s fledgling recovery. No question, years of weak productivity growth, coupled with the cost of a pandemic, and a cost of living crisis have left the public finances in a mess. Nobody would dispute that the economy is in a worse state than it was the last time Labour emerged from opposition in 1997. Covid has left deep and permanent scars.

That said, the new government will have a number of things going for it. For a start, expectations are at such a rock-bottom level that it won’t take much to exceed them. The desire of voters to get rid of the Tories does not appear to be matched by a similar enthusiasm for what Labour is offering. Faith in politicians of all stripes is at a low ebb, so nobody is anticipating much.

Then there’s the fact that the Tories have been forced to clear up their own mess rather than – as was the case in 1964 and 1974 – leaving Labour to do the dirty work. And, to be fair, Sunak has made a reasonably good fist of it.

It is not really true that the Tories have been laying waste to the economy. On the contrary, Sunak and Jeremy Hunt have taken some extremely unpopular decisions – the six-year freeze on tax allowances, for example – to reduce public borrowing.

Given the chaos they inherited from Liz Truss, they perhaps had little option but to play things straight, but Hunt’s decision to provide firms with permanent 100% tax relief on investment spending was a smart move. It addresses one of the economy’s enduring weaknesses and should bear fruit over time, helping Labour more than it has the Conservatives.

At the end of 2022, shortly after Truss left office, the Bank of England was expecting the longest recession in 100 years, one lasting from the summer of 2022 to the middle of this year.

The economy did end up in recession, but it was a short-lived and shallow affair lasting just two quarters and nothing like as severe as slumps of the past. All things considered, the economy held up a lot better to higher interest rates and rising taxes than the Bank feared.

The current state of the economy also suggests there is going to be a post-election bounce. Household budgets are much less stretched than they were a year ago because pay is rising faster than prices. That’s insufficient to make good the losses suffered earlier in this parliament, but it does mean consumer confidence is on the up. There is evidence from the latest S&P snapshot of the economy that households have been putting off spending decisions until after the election.

Sooner or later, the Bank of England will decide the time is right to reduce interest rates. Theadneedle Street’s monetary policy committee kept interest rates on hold at 5.25% this week but signalled that cheaper borrowing costs may not be that long in coming: either in August or September. The fact that some of the seven members who voted for no change said the decision was “finely balanced” could mean the former.

The Bank accepts that the 14 interest rate increases between December 2021 and August 2023 are dampening activity, and its policy stance will remain restrictive even when rates start to come down. But the fact that the Bank is likely to move shortly after Labour arrives in power will reduce borrowing costs for consumers and businesses. This should cement the idea that a change of government has had a positive effect. Interest rates could be as low as 3% by the end of 2025.

Nor is Reeves as boxed in by fiscal policy as is assumed. She is committed to the same debt rule as Hunt – namely that debt as a share of national income should be falling at the end of a rolling five-year period. But as Andrew Goodwin, of the Oxford Economics consultancy, points out, the measure of debt used includes the impact of the cost of the Treasury indemnifying the Bank of England for losses when it sells UK bonds gilts bought under the money creation scheme known as quantitative easing.

Tweaking the debt rule to exclude these payments would give Reeves an extra £20bn to play with, and it would be a major surprise – and a missed opportunity – were she not to announce the change in an autumn budget.

The way things are shaping up, that budget will take place with the Conservative party in turmoil following a defeat of historic proportions. Unless there is another Covid-like shock to the economy, Labour will be able to plan for two full terms in office. If tough decisions are needed – as they probably will be – Starmer and Reeves can say that is a price that sadly has to be paid after 14 years of Tory incompetence.

1 Like

There may well be but what on earth has that got to go with voting for the Tory party in the UK Elections?

The report you posted was an Australian local news report about Australia. Not a foreign report.

It will be interesting if the LibDems become the Opposition rather than the Cons.
What I was surprised at is the huge support for LibDems in very affluent previously true blue areas.

1 Like

I’m not clear as to why the economy being a bit better will make people decide to vote Tory after all. The economy might not be in disastrous state but much else about the country, thanks to austerity and badly regulated privatisation, is in a near disastrous state. This article does nothing to convince people to continue to vote Tory. Instead it is arguing for greater financial freedom to address these issues. That is something voters are most likely going to agree with and vote for.

It’s really difficult to decide who to vote for this time round. There’s a bit of something I don’t like in all manifestos.

2 Likes

If I was in France I’d be concentrating on what was happening there rather than what was happening in a country the other side of the ocean.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t bother with manifestos they’re all going to be broken anyway, experience should have taught us that by now. Go with your gut feeling who do you trust the least and don’t vote for them.

2 Likes

Comparative evidence is useful.

Lefty Lib run nations including Aus and Canada suffering cost of living issues shows us a UK Labour Govt is going to face the same global cost issues.

Yet I see many many people online thinking Starmer will swoop in, cape wafting on a stirring wind to save the day.

I like comparing evidence when I’m making a judgement as to what is likely in future

1 Like