Will you be seeing the New Year in?

Are you really Scottish? The lump of coal and black bun is a gift from the 1st-footer to the host of the house as the price of admittance. My Scots granddad taught me that.

2 Likes

Nobody does that now.

Its a can of Irn Bru and a Greggs sausage roll these days…

And in these days of equality etc, I get it myself, thanks! :joy:

And so, another fine tradition breathes its last… :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Ack well…you need to move with the times, sorry. Women are doing it for themselves…its quicker and more efficient. Nobody has time to wait for a man to peel himself off the local park bench on New Years Morn and straighten his vest these days, y’know :joy:

1 Like

And they say charity is dead… :lol:

1 Like

I’ll send you a square slice down for New Year then…that’ll keep you chewing and not chatting! :face_vomiting:

Nope. It will be bedtime as usual for the dog and I. Her to doze, me to read. Then it’ll be lights out, wait for the inevitable fireworks and for them to die down, then sleep. I will greet the new year in the morning, at my usual time, god willing.

No never have, go to bed at 10.45 pm as usual.

Typical canny Scots!
A bit of coal and a lump of bread in exchange for half a bottle of Scotch, eh?

What? Not a deep fried Mars bar then? :rofl:

1 Like

That’s not black bun, it’s a Lorne sausage. Black bun is like a Christmas/fruit cake in a pie crust.

1 Like

Exchange? Oh no, there will be no exchanges :018:

Oh my word, so nit picky! :roll_eyes: :joy: Square slice/Lorne sausage… same thing :woman_shrugging:

Ah! Now I get it.
When you visit in Scotland, you have to take a lump of coal and a loaf of bread, and THEN PAY for any Scotch you drink.
Yes. Sounds about right.

1 Like

Feel free to leave the coal and bread at home, and use the space in your pockets for extra money. Our whiskey is expensive :joy:

Oh dear! What a mistake to make!

Whiskey? Are you sure? :044:

I have Irish heritage… :eyes:

1 Like

Excuses excuses!

1 Like

Free? Have you taken leave of your senses? You know what they say about us Yorkies - we’re (allegedly) like an Aberdeen Jew with the generosity squeezed out of him.

BTW - it’s whisky. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I know of the Yorkshire reputation, never fear!

I am relying on my Irish heritage to get me through the spelling of such things, since I have no actual experience of it :joy: The less letters, the better the drink.

Rum. :smiley:

1 Like