Will Smith smacks Chris Rock live at the Oscars

Rock hasn’t commented or accepted the apology yet, though

Just building up his part or considering pressing charges or suing?

Personally, I hope he sues the pants off him :+1:

I think he will get more respect if he does nothing .

2 Likes

Think he made a passing comment in his first post-incident gig without divulging anything about his true feelings nor intentions at this stage. Apparently ticket sales to his shows have sky rocketed since the event. Maybe he’s been waiting to see whether there’d be any adverse reaction to things.

1 Like

The internet never forgets and comes to bit your bum 20 years later.

(56) Will Smith making fun of Arsenio Hall’s band member who had alopecia, and says it’s “just a joke.” - YouTube

2 Likes

Ooops

“I am resigning from membership in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences,” he said in a statement.

Smith said he was “heartbroken” and would "accept any further consequences the Board deems appropriate. My actions at the 94th Academy Awards presentation were shocking, painful, and inexcusable. “The list of those I have hurt is long and includes Chris, his family, many of my dear friends and loved ones, all those in attendance, and global audiences at home. I betrayed the trust of the Academy. I deprived other nominees and winners of their opportunity to celebrate and be celebrated for their extraordinary work. I am heartbroken.”

David Rubin, president of the film academy, said on Friday that it accepted Smith’s resignation but would continue disciplinary proceedings that could lead to more sanctions.

Resignation could be considered self-expulsion … :thinking:

3 Likes

I think the bigger consequence is the mockery he’s made of his reputation.

2 Likes

Shame really. An actor who has entertained a lot of people over a couple + of decades having to resign his role due to his natural reaction to a desultory comment from a tedious little prick with a career expectancy of a couple of seasons who would otherwise have been forgotten.

1 Like

Just read what Will Smith’s resignation means. Not much.

2 Likes

The Academy plans to forge ahead and conduct a formal investigation and disciplinary process on April 18, at which time the organization could impose further sanctions or punishment in accordance with its bylaws.

“It ain’t over 'til it’s over”

Meanwhile SAG-AFTRA (The Screen Actors Guild - American Federation of Television and Radio Artists) released a statement after the Oscars incident saying Smith could also face disciplinary action from his guild. “We have been in contact with the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and ABC about this incident and will work to ensure this behavior is appropriately addressed. SAG-AFTRA does not comment on any pending member disciplinary process,” the statement said.

2 Likes

lol So not a Chris Rock fan then? I’m not a huge fan either but Chris Rock has done 47 films, 43 tv shows, is a producer and director along with his stand up comedy act. He was in 3 films in 2021, 1 in post production for 2022 and 1 in progress.

Unless he slaps someone or creates some scandal, his career doesn’t appear to be in decline.

He’s probably best known for his HBO comedy specials. He’s also done a bunch of voices for successful animated films.

He also hosted the Oscars twice, once in 2005 and once in 2016.

4 Likes

I don’t understand why we are still giving forum space to this well rehearsed publicity stunt? None of them are worth it.

5 Likes

A more satisfying outcome?

1 Like

He’s also bored the butt off a lot of people like me over the couple+ of decades, mildly amusing at his best, a tedious, up himself bore quite often! :rofl:

And since when was slapping someone a natural reaction to a mild insult?

Wanting to slap ‘em, yes, actually doing it, no, not among normal civilised people, anyway

I still think he planned it as a publicity stunt to steal the thunder from CODA

But if it wasn’t that, I think he was so full of himself knowing he was getting an Oscar and thinks he’s so special he thought he could away with anything on that night

Either way, what I think is a shame is that the idiot was able to make these Oscars all about him and not about CODA

Brilliant :+1:

Yes, he should have thumped him right back🤣

1 Like

Well said!.. :+1:

:rofl: So is this the new way then?

Really “special” thugs like Will Smith get to choose their own punishment for their violent actions rather than having those in authority decide what’s appropriate?

Can’t wait to see how that works out for ordinary thugs in the courts

Very true, it’s just giving Will Smith the publicity he wanted. Trying to let it go!

Thanks for that info. Strange that I’d never heard of him.

1 Like