Why the Monarchy Should Have Died With the Queen

It’s the most visited country in Europe…

1 Like

It would be very interesting to know how the younger generation really all feel

I’m curious about how the youngsters of the early 1950s felt? Some of you on here will no doubt be better placed to reflect on the mood at the time when the last monarch died? Was there a mood of discontent or apathy then, and was there a calling for the monarchy to have ended?

As for the chap in the video, well he made some valid points but missed others. But then again, who doesn’t? Overall, he didn’t really say anything that persuaded me to reconsider my own position. But I doubt if I could shift his view either, even though my own arguments would obviously be far superior to his. :wink::joy:

Tourists don’t come to have tea with the royals they come to see our past history .
Lives of the royals have little impact on young people today there is no common ground and most do not thank goodness have the fore lock touching mentality of years past .

Azz has already given some .
France is one of the most visited countries on the planet .
France has been the world’s leading tourist destination for more than 30 years.

1 Like

Well he would wouldn’t he ?

1 Like

That’s an interesting comment and example. Despite publicly being anti royals, they have polished Versailles to the nines and flaunt it to tourists. If they really hated royalty that much they would have razed it to the ground.

1 Like

Only the Taliban are that short sighted .

Presidents do like their “palaces”:

Full List

1 Like

And why not they are representing the country but not all do .
One notable example was the President of Uruquay Jose Mujica

From a poll in May 2021.

Apparently there is a big divide between how older people and younger people think about the monarchy.

53% of young people want to keep the monarchy as opposed to 81% of older people who do.

My guess would be the percentage of young people wanting to keep the monarchy has trended down even farther after the death of the Queen.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/young-british-people-want-ditch-monarchy-poll-suggests-2021-05-20/

1 Like

However, overall the survey had better news for Queen Elizabeth, 95, and the royal family, with 61% favouring the monarchy while just under a quarter thought it should be replaced with an elected figure.

Previous polls have indicated an age divide, with younger generations holding more favourable views of Harry and Meghan than their older counterparts who had overwhelmingly negative feelings about them.

I’m an “older counterpart” … :grin:

1 Like

The British monarchy works for the government.If they want to sell arms,etc…to any foreign despot they invite them to tea at the Palace.They also provide a distraction to keep the masses dumb.

1 Like

I’m not really a monarchist although I did have tea with the queen…talk about name dropping i had better point out that there were a few thousand of us there at a Royal garden party so its not so impressive…it was fun though walking through the gates of Buckingham Palace…I thought to myself if only my granny could see me now…so funny

I think the monarchy should be toned down although to be fair I think it has been over the years…I don’t mind having a first family to represent us as head of state…I don’t see them as above me …its just their job…not a job I would choose to do by the way.

3 Likes

Some job.
They aren’t dumb enough to give it all up are they despite all the moaning about ‘service’ and lack of ‘privacy ‘.

or Ho Chi Minh

I have never understood why the British think their Constitutional Monarchy saves them from despots yet happily accept the idiots they impose upon themselves as Prime Ministers in their partially democratic parliament.

The Prince and Princes of Wales are both pragmatic. They will see which way the wind blows before making any decisions about their roles.

I have ambivalence towards Monarchy, can take or leave.

Where did I say that tourists come to have tea with the Queen. In fact, where did I mention anything about tourists at all. I said France regarding royalty has past history, we have living history and I hope and pray it continues. I think it was fantastic for our country that 4 billion people world wide watched the Queen’s funeral. And people from other countries even came to London to be part of it.

Our royals bring great pleasure to people all over the world and I can’t see why anybody would want to begrudge others of that.

I can’t stand football, but I wouldn’t want to deprive people who do like it of their pleasure, I think anything that brings joy into people’s lives should be celebrated not condemned just because I don’t like it.

2 Likes

I certaiknly do not want another Hitler type person at the head of this country and that is what could happen if the monachy was disbanded

2 Likes

Better the devil you know.