Why On Earth Would You Dress An 8 Year Old Kid In A Suit, On A Day Like This?

Why on earth are people making such a fuss over George’s clothes?
Wimbledon has a known dress code - has had for more years than I care to remember. If family, friends, nannies etc., had considered the heatwave too much for George to endure I am quite certain he would simply have been left at home.

William and Catherine were/are being good parents in setting standards and making sure the lad knows how to dress and behave correctly in public.

I wish a lot more parents would follow their example.

3 Likes

Exactly … :+1:

1 Like

Wearing a certain type of clothing doesn’t make you a better, nicer person!

The Mafia, the Krays and other gangsters wore suits but it didn’t stop them torturing and killing people.

Putting a suit and tie on a child on one of the hottest days of the years was cruel.

It’s a good job tennis wasn’t around in King Henry VIII day as l hate to think how royalty would still be dressing for Wimbledon!

1 Like

I don’t believe anyone intimated that it did.

Well … he didn’t exactly look unhappy about it - and they could have left him at home - if they thought it necessary.

0 out of 10 for history, Artangel, Tennis evolved in france in the 11th century.
Henry VIII was an excellent tennis player and Anne Boleyn was gambling on a game of tennis when she was arrested to be taken to the Tower. She, allegedly, even complained that she couldn’t collect her winnings!

1 Like

Re the tennis… l was referring to this…

The modern game of tennis originated in Birmingham, England, in the late 19th century as lawn tennis . It had close connections both to various field (lawn) games such as croquet and bowls as well as to the older racket sport today called real tennis. The rules of modern tennis have changed little since the 1890s.

=“Artangel, post:36, topic:92321”]
Re the tennis… l was referring to this…
[/quote]

Modern tennis - yes - but you did actually refer to Henry VIII - not that it really matters - it is all boring anyway! :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

Too hot to argue! :fire:

1 Like

I felt so sorry for the little fella suited and booted in a heat wave!
Made to sit there for hours. Whilst his mother was wearing a light summer dress. Where’s the logic in that.

They probably don’t have the £10k plus needed for the ticket for the final on the centre court

1 Like

Is it really £10k to sit there?

Blimey

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/07/09/wimbledon-final-tickets-2022-tennis/
The cost of the most expensive tickets for Wimbledon 2022 tickets is £240 GBP for both the Women’s and Men’s finals.

https://tennisworldlive.com/wimbledon-royal-box-tickets/

The Royal Box, which is found at the Wimbledon’s Centre Court, is an enclosed area that has 74 seats for “friends and guests of Wimbledon” as described by Wimbledon. Access to these seats is by invite only. Tickets cannot be bought for the Wimbledon Royal Box and the invites are sent out on the basis of the recommendations made by the Chairman of the All England Club.

Too hot for the lad.

1 Like

Poor wee soul…I hope when he grows up, he treats his own children with a little less formality. Like others have said…there are ways to be smartly dressed, and yet stay cool. Nobody would bat an eyelid if he were “smart casual”, yet a suit & tie gets everyone talking.

That’s what you think but they are all sold years in advance .
People buy debentures and sell them at stupid prices for the big matches .

Not ALL … :018:

The 2021-25 Centre Court debentures are expected to cost £100,000 each, and demand will far exceed the supply of 2,520 tickets that will go on sale at 10am on Thursday.

The debentures – which were first sold in 1920 for a combined total of £100,000 (about £4.5m in today’s money) to help fund the construction of Centre Court – occupy all the seats on either side of the royal box on level two. The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club said: “At least one family has held debentures since inception.”

A maximum of 15,000 people can fit into Centre Court, which has space for 290 million tennis balls when the roof is closed.

So, 12,480 tickets remain.

The AELTC reserves a further 1,340 seats for corporate hospitality.

Invited guests, including the media, schools and overseas tennis associations, occupy 21% of the seats, leaving just 53.5% for the public.

That has to be one of the most useless bits of info I’ve ever read.I’ll try to remember it.

2 Likes

My mother, who played and loved tennis, took me to Wimbledon when I was about 10 years old, I have never been so bored in my life. The only part I enjoyed was the strawberries and cream and the train to London, I have no idea who or what I saw.

Along with the number of holes in Blackburn, Lancashire

1 Like

Actually that doesn’t look like suit jacket that William is wearing, more like a blazer

1 Like

Oh yeah, I didn’t notice that, I only saw the collar and tie

George might have been more comfortable in a blazer, they can be lighter an looser :+1:

Try and keep on topic please! :laughing: :laughing:

3 Likes