Why On Earth Would You Dress An 8 Year Old Kid In A Suit, On A Day Like This?

Sadly have to agree with some of the comments posted here, just read an article that Kate is saying he has to dress this way for official duties. He is 8 years old, how many 8 year olds go out dressed in a suit and tie. The world is changing and I think the Royal family and our politicians need to change with it.

2 Likes

You used to see businessmen in suits with short trousers wearing dress shoes with long white socks. You don’t see that so much nowadays (but might in Queensland?). Think modern light weight material put paid to that (along with safari suits thank god)

1 Like

I’m thinking maybe there’s some sort of thermal underwear that keeps you cool?

Am I the only one to think that it’s indecent to photograph a child like this? So what if he picks his nose. Kids do these things. As to what he is wearing, there’s a dress code.

The DM is a rubbishy rag it has no morals .

3 Likes

There is a dress code, but presumably for adults, would anyone have objected if a small boy wore something smart but less constricting in a heat wave?

Publishing all those photos did seem a bit obsesssive?

1 Like

I think that Wimbledon should be less stuffy with their dress code because it is often very hot during Wimbledon & the weather warnings were suggesting that it could cause problems if people didn’t stay cool.
I appreciate that they don’t want people turning up in the sort of clothes that some people wear to football matches, but smart/ casual would be better & wearing a tie is ridiculous if you are going to be sitting in the sun for hours.

The poor lad probably hates tennis. He would rather have been outside with his sister playing with scooshy water guns in the garden!

Yes they are terribly stuffy there they threw the Duchess of Kent out of the Royal Box once and her husband was the president of the Tennis Association at the time .It’s a remaining vestige of stuffiness like in the days of the Raj where they wore unsuitable clothes in tropical India . ( until such time as they went native and took to wearing pyjamas )

1 Like

You’re right, there is something of the Raj and stiff upper lip about it :rofl:

They don’t usually let children in at all, only Royal Children, this is what they said when The Duchess of Kent wanted to take in a commoner!

“I regret any unintentional hurt this may have caused to her Royal Highness. Because of demand for space in the royal box, we also ask that, apart from children of the royal family, children are not invited as they exclude other worthy people from attending , many of whom contribute to tennis”.

Prince William wore a suit there too, when he was a child and I suppose they like the rules keeping it for the elite

Both of them looked very smart

Why on earth are people making such a fuss over George’s clothes?
Wimbledon has a known dress code - has had for more years than I care to remember. If family, friends, nannies etc., had considered the heatwave too much for George to endure I am quite certain he would simply have been left at home.

William and Catherine were/are being good parents in setting standards and making sure the lad knows how to dress and behave correctly in public.

I wish a lot more parents would follow their example.

3 Likes

Exactly … :+1:

1 Like

Wearing a certain type of clothing doesn’t make you a better, nicer person!

The Mafia, the Krays and other gangsters wore suits but it didn’t stop them torturing and killing people.

Putting a suit and tie on a child on one of the hottest days of the years was cruel.

It’s a good job tennis wasn’t around in King Henry VIII day as l hate to think how royalty would still be dressing for Wimbledon!

1 Like

I don’t believe anyone intimated that it did.

Well … he didn’t exactly look unhappy about it - and they could have left him at home - if they thought it necessary.

0 out of 10 for history, Artangel, Tennis evolved in france in the 11th century.
Henry VIII was an excellent tennis player and Anne Boleyn was gambling on a game of tennis when she was arrested to be taken to the Tower. She, allegedly, even complained that she couldn’t collect her winnings!

1 Like

Re the tennis… l was referring to this…

The modern game of tennis originated in Birmingham, England, in the late 19th century as lawn tennis . It had close connections both to various field (lawn) games such as croquet and bowls as well as to the older racket sport today called real tennis. The rules of modern tennis have changed little since the 1890s.

=“Artangel, post:36, topic:92321”]
Re the tennis… l was referring to this…
[/quote]

Modern tennis - yes - but you did actually refer to Henry VIII - not that it really matters - it is all boring anyway! :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

Too hot to argue! :fire:

1 Like

I felt so sorry for the little fella suited and booted in a heat wave!
Made to sit there for hours. Whilst his mother was wearing a light summer dress. Where’s the logic in that.

They probably don’t have the £10k plus needed for the ticket for the final on the centre court

1 Like