Why don’t people like obesity

Good post LQ . I remember something written by Gwyneth Paltrow that during the shooting of Shallow Hal she had to wear a fat suit .

"The first day I tried the fat suit on, I was in the Tribeca Grand, and I walked through the lobby. It was so sad. It was so disturbing. No one would make eye contact with me because I was obese. I felt humiliated,” she recounted.

2 Likes

Sometimes though, its not what they eat, it might be an illness they have, that makes them bigger.

My friend was very obese until she had a gastric bypass operation. She said what she hated was people saying “oh but you have such a pretty face.”

Since her op she has put back on about 75% of her weight.

Did the romans have junk food then? :rofl::rofl:

Seriously, I have slimmer friends who say things like they eat a whole tub of posh ice cream whilst watching a film or they eat 6 bags of crisps a day. I never do either of those. I might have an icecream on a hot day at the seaside and crisps … I doubt if I eat a single packet in a fortnight. I never eat pastry, sugar, full fat milk, biscuits or sweets. If we have a bar of chocolate we buy those £1 bars and OH and I have half each.
I very seldom drink alcohol. We went on an All Inclusive holiday in June and I probably had about 5 drinks all week …. My choice.

So many reasons why people become obese.

So I suppose everybody was to blame for her looking like she was obese.
I mentioned earlier that I would never say or think anything bad about an obese person, but if you are going to neglect your body by overeating and getting obese, these kinds of incidents come with the terrain in the same way that people will stare or avoid eye contact with anyone who sports face jewelry or unsightly tattoos. You can’t blame people for noticing the unusual.

2 Likes

an unruly mind leads to an unruly body - keep ya mind in healthy order and ya body stays the same

1 Like

It’s rude to stare

Hogwash

3 Likes

It is Muddy, but then obesity becomes the elephant in the room…
:astonished:

I get coffee from starbucks, costa etc but I don’t have any of the syrups and creams. I see a lot of people walking around with cream an inch above the coffee cup. Thats as well as all the fast food outlets

As I think someone said, it takes all sorts and people are sometimes their body shape through no specific fault of their own.

My achalasia mean I probably have been digesting less than 500 calories per day for around a year. Sure, I’ve lost some weight, but not as much as you’d imagine and I’ve plateau’d for around 3 months now.

Hi

Some on here have met me, there are photos of me on here.

I was distinctly average weight for years, size medium, 34inch waste.

I could eat and drink what I wanted , but always on the go, work and exercise.

Then I became ill, really quite ill, a series of heart attacks, proper ones, Covid, organ failure, damaged lungs, some serious medication and serious weight gain.

The weight gain was a known side effect of the medication and inability to exercise.

Then the food poisoning and organ failure, so lost huge amounts of weight, all fluid, in days, in excess of a kilo a day.

Now stacking the weight back on again, so having to go on a fluid restriction in this heat.

This is not a joke, I now have 3 sets of clothing, medium, large and extra large.

Even on the fluid restriction, my heart is not pumping enough to get my kidneys working properly. so. yes, I am a fat git at the moment.

I am well aware of it and I know others notice it.

My medication regime is changing again, and I am having to keep a strict regime on taking my readings as I could suddenly start losing fluid so rapidly, it would cause problems.

By problems, I mean hospital and drips again.

Two kilos a week loss is the target at first to take the strain off my heart, then 1 kilo a week to get back down to 75 to 80 kilos.

The problem is that every Consultant, and I have 3 main ones, has different ideas.

Obesity is not good, but there are times when there is nothing you can do about it.

3 Likes

Quite! Glad you’re still around Swimmy. You’re an inspiration to me, for a start.

And me Swimmy. Keep on, keeping on…
:+1:

1 Like

Well I am finally just 1lb overweight. I have lost a stone in about 8 weeks through changing my diet. I have never in my life been overweight before as I always had a quick metabolism and could eat what I liked. It’s amazing how your weight can creep up like that. It’s due to lockdown and the inactivity of working from home and not going out and about as much during the last two years. Some people suit being overweight. I don’t consider myself one of them. I had to lose weight for a family wedding and that’s what motivated me. Thank goodness, because I feel so much better & have so much more energy.

It’s all about identity. People who are thin identify with others who are the same. So when they see a very overweight person they see someone who does not belong to their group. Plain and simple stereotyping & discrimination. Litheness is associated with youth and we are hard wired to admire healthy youthfulness per our survival instincts & primitive brain.

1 Like

Well done on the weight loss Annie, that is some hard dieting. The trick now is to keep it off…
When I stopped running I thought the weight would pile on, I had visions of Harry Secombe emerging from my normally lean (skinny) frame …But I am only about half a stone heavier than I was as a runner.
As I mentioned earlier, I don’t have any issues with obesity on other people, in fact I think it looks quite sexy on some…But on me, it would restrict the things I like to do and would not help my heart condition. So I wouldn’t like it on me…
:sunglasses:

1 Like

People also stare at people who look anorexic. A woman in our village has this and she wears tiny, tiny jeans which hang off her and even in this boiling weather wears a thick cardigan as she feels cold all the time.

Having struggled with weight issues all my life, always believing I was too fat, even dieting to such an extent I now realise I was too thin for my frame. Looking back at photos of when I thought I was overweight I realise i wasn’t.

I guess when I look back in a few years time and see photos I will say the same then .

My daughter struggles to keep her weight down , as I said she runs a few times a week yet carries body fat , she constantly says she is fat . My granddaughter dances and runs , yet is bigger than her dancing partners . She is now starting to talk about being fat . I tell her she is beautiful and curvy and a beautiful young woman .

1 Like

I think its great that you are so encouraging to your granddaughter, and I hope she believes you. So much social media these days is telling us how we “should” feel, instead of just being happy in our own bodies.