Why don’t people like obesity

Well I am finally just 1lb overweight. I have lost a stone in about 8 weeks through changing my diet. I have never in my life been overweight before as I always had a quick metabolism and could eat what I liked. It’s amazing how your weight can creep up like that. It’s due to lockdown and the inactivity of working from home and not going out and about as much during the last two years. Some people suit being overweight. I don’t consider myself one of them. I had to lose weight for a family wedding and that’s what motivated me. Thank goodness, because I feel so much better & have so much more energy.

It’s all about identity. People who are thin identify with others who are the same. So when they see a very overweight person they see someone who does not belong to their group. Plain and simple stereotyping & discrimination. Litheness is associated with youth and we are hard wired to admire healthy youthfulness per our survival instincts & primitive brain.

1 Like

Well done on the weight loss Annie, that is some hard dieting. The trick now is to keep it off…
When I stopped running I thought the weight would pile on, I had visions of Harry Secombe emerging from my normally lean (skinny) frame …But I am only about half a stone heavier than I was as a runner.
As I mentioned earlier, I don’t have any issues with obesity on other people, in fact I think it looks quite sexy on some…But on me, it would restrict the things I like to do and would not help my heart condition. So I wouldn’t like it on me…
:sunglasses:

1 Like

People also stare at people who look anorexic. A woman in our village has this and she wears tiny, tiny jeans which hang off her and even in this boiling weather wears a thick cardigan as she feels cold all the time.

Having struggled with weight issues all my life, always believing I was too fat, even dieting to such an extent I now realise I was too thin for my frame. Looking back at photos of when I thought I was overweight I realise i wasn’t.

I guess when I look back in a few years time and see photos I will say the same then .

My daughter struggles to keep her weight down , as I said she runs a few times a week yet carries body fat , she constantly says she is fat . My granddaughter dances and runs , yet is bigger than her dancing partners . She is now starting to talk about being fat . I tell her she is beautiful and curvy and a beautiful young woman .

1 Like

I think its great that you are so encouraging to your granddaughter, and I hope she believes you. So much social media these days is telling us how we “should” feel, instead of just being happy in our own bodies.

I think these days when there is so much emphasis on how we look and some people’s craving for perfection that obese people don’t fit easily into the mindset of these ‘perfect’ people.

I think they are embarrassed that they might say the wrong thing or, even make the obese person feel guilty?
Or they just don’t like the look?

My view is, if an obese person feels healthy, which they can be… then what’s the problem?

1 Like

to some obesity may point to the sin of gluttony?

1 Like

I always assumed obese people generally suffered more with health problems at an earlier age … diabetes 2 … heart problems … strokes … knackered knees when the weight bearing joints can take no more.
You only have to do a quick google to get reams after ream of health risks.

Whilst I know some people can’t help it, maybe through eating disorders or medication, I still think if people are supposed to be responsible for their own health … they should take care of controlling their weight.
Smokers, alcoholics and drug addicts don’t get this level of support to assure them that they are normal and their vice/weakness/addiction is acceptable.

These days, everything is a health crime…
Don’t be too thin.
Don’t be too fat.
Don’t smoke.
Don’t drink.
Don’t eat this, don’t eat that.

Sometimes, it’s quite hard to be a human and survive the everlasting lectures and the ever changing advice!

2 Likes

@Artangel … my point exactly.
If only everything was considered normal.
Smoking, drinking, over eating, taking drugs.

2 Likes

Only if you are a bible thumper .

And have the covid vaccine or else you are selfish and worse than all of those…
:syringe:

Get covid unvaccinated and clog up the Hospitals

There are more vaccinated people occupying hospital beds with associated illnesses than unvaxxed, just ask Swimmy.

I’m not going to derail this thread any further, suffice to say, I can supply literally thousands of these accounts…
Vaccination

Sorry Foxy that is hogwash it’s not convincing in any way whatsoever
Too many people have died of covid and now they don’t .
Enough said .

We must be very unlucky here in Victoria then,We are getting deaths in double figures most days.Vaccinated and un-vaccinated.

Victoria does seem to be a hot spot .
Have you been vaccinated ?

I’m now eligible for my fourth which I’m thinking about.I will have one but it has to be timed right because they are not effective for long.
Wearing of masks and social distancing are just as important as vaccinations.

Me too. I love a woman with curves. Always have and cannot see me changing. But I cannot be horrible to women with a slimmer figure. We are all human.

I have a fear of being crushed in a roll over?