Why do we not fix the homelessness problem?

We shouldn’t have to write to our mp,s, they know this issue is a major concern and should be offering solutions

Not much use moaning about it on a social forum based in the U.K. is there ?

1 Like

So why did you start the thread.?

I didn’t .

No you didn’t, my apologies

Over the years I have written multiple letter to politicians of both parties when they have been in power and I always receive the same answer…
“We have spent many millions of dollars on housing and homelessness. We have many services available for the homeless to access.”

My beef is that over the decades both parties have allowed the public housing stock to dwindle and have not been replacing them with enough new housing.
This financial year, 600,000 immigrants will arrive in Australia.
What a ridiculous figure given the lack of housing.

2 Likes

could all be a new backdrop for blade runner III heh? remember the homeless living in deserted tower buildings - strange how the lifts still operated though and I think they used candles! - fork handles or four candles ??

Don’t worry. Conservatives plan to cut homeless people in half by 2025. That should help solve the problem.

:joy::joy::joy: Yeah that’ll do it.

1 Like

Unfortunately, here in the UK, far too much ‘nimbyism’ stands in the way of many building projects when locals object to town expansions. That coupled together with those who do not want to see ‘social housing’ expanded, houses are not being built in the numbers required or hoped for.

The Salvation army’s Christmas appeal is on now .
They do a lot for the homeless and rough sleepers.

2 Likes

I have donated to their appeal for a few years now.

Mrs Fox sends a substantial donation to the Salvation Army every year at this time…
:astonished:

2 Likes

Possibly?

"Why do some people choose to live on the streets?

To some, freedom to move wherever they want, sleep wherever they want, and do whatever they want holds much more value than a roof over their heads. This one may be less grounded in reality than freedom, but some homeless argue that they feel safe out in the open, amongst the people of the city."

2 Likes

They are frequently attacked by people on the streets by passing thugs / drunks / nasty kids so I don’t know how much safer that is .

2 Likes

I don’t suppose it is. But some seem to feel that way. My sister have a couple near to her flat who live in the street. She chats to them but I have a bit of a concern with that - they broke some windows at the local Saisburys in the early morning.

1 Like

That’s because many have mental issues or have drink / drug addictions .
No drug users are accepted in shelters as they are too dangerous .

1 Like

Yes, and that’s the point. Some are homeless for that reason.

1 Like

Yes they are not all technically homeless .
They are rough sleepers because of these problems .

But some are .
Some men find themselves homeless because of a marriage break up and can’t afford to pay maintenance and live .
If they are lucky they can go back to their parents because the price of rental accommodation is exorbitant…
If not they live in their cars if they have one and wash in leisure centres because they are last on the list of council priorities .
They must be small social accommodation available for single people who are the working poor .
Say bed sits at a reasonable rental .

1 Like

I don’t know the answer. Some it is a matter of choice, for some it can be a serious problem. I had an uncle who lived with us some of the time and other times he had a tent. I think it was his choice but he never had any settled residence. Different folks for different folks ?

1 Like