Why do more men commit suicide?

It’s because they have access to drugs . vets are fairly high too.

1 Like

Is that in the U.K.?

And does it take into account people without an occupation, I wonder🤷‍♀️

Because the ONS site says…

“For men aged 40 to 50 years, the highest rates of suicide were in disabled people, those who have never worked or are in long-term unemployment, or are single (never been married or in a civil partnership).

Rates of suicide per 100,000 people by National Statistics Socio-economic classification (NS-SEC) in England and Wales, 2011 to 2021

Major Group 1: MANAGERS, DIRECTORS AND SENIOR OFFICIALS

Major Group 2: PROFESSIONAL OCCUPATIONS

Major Group 3: ASSOCIATE PROFESSIONAL AND TECHNICAL OCCUPATIONS

Major Group 4: ADMINISTRATIVE AND SECRETARIAL OCCUPATIONS

Major Group 5: SKILLED TRADES OCCUPATIONS

Major Group 6: CARING, LEISURE AND OTHER SERVICE OCCUPATIONS

Major Group 7: SALES AND CUSTOMER SERVICE OCCUPATIONS

Major Group 8: PROCESS, PLANT AND MACHINE OPERATIVES

Major Group 9: ELEMENTARY OCCUPATIONS

If that is the case, it doesn’t surprise me in the least. Intuitively I’d say it has to do with men still being more career-oriented which is commonly linked to pay. They often cling to traditional role models and take it for granted that they are decently paid so that they can feed a family alone if need be. Men are also aware of the fact that a fair percentage of women expect men to be the breadwinner and that men who are well-off tend to be more attractive to women than men with less money. Even if this may sound like a cliché, a lot of men are wired this way which political parties can capitalise on.

Now if these expectations are not fulfilled and if a man with a certain self-image sees his view of life destroyed, it is not hard to understand that he may be losing his self-confidence and self-respect and, at the extreme, his sense of life - especially if other factors come into play in addition.

2 Likes

If this is true then we may as well forget all these theories about men …

2 Likes

In case anyone was wondering…I’m a bloke and have no intention of committing suicide. So you are just going to be stuck with me for a while yet…
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Nice pins.

1 Like

I agree its not to be joked about
but what the heck
more men die because we eat whats put in front of us… boom boom

Yes, it is true. Men are more likely to die as a result of their attempt, partly because they tend to use more violent methods, like hanging, where there’s less time for intervention and chance to recover

But more women than men attempt suicide, albeit unsuccessfully

So perhaps the gender gap between the levels of despair that leads to people wanting to end their lives isn’t as great as the figures on men’s deaths suggest?

2 Likes

Perhaps more men commit suicide because they don’t want to be married to another bloke.
And blokes are beginning to be more feminine, and women are beginning to be more masculine. And no bugger cares…Or are allowed to care.

Perhaps some attempt suicide because others keep banging on about their personal prejudices. :grinning:

1 Like

These saw the original assimilation

I stand corrected the article was doctors, not pacifically male, doctors, it was the British journal medical practice.

RISK FACTORS FOR DOCTORS

Throughout time and across the world, doctors have always had higher rates of suicide compared with the general population and with other professional groups. Female doctors in particular have higher rates — 2.5–4.0 times the rate by some estimates.2 The reasons for suicide among doctors — as in the general population — are often related to un- (or under-) treated depression, bipolar disorder, or substance misuse.3

However, for doctors the risk factors go beyond mental illness.4 As a group, doctors occupy a privileged position in society. They bear witness to the suffering of patients who share secrets told to no one else, not even their closest relatives. Doctors are often faced with the futility of their endeavours. Without a safe outlet to talk about the emotional impact of their work, doctors may carry the stress of their work beyond the consulting room, putting them at risk of depression, substance misuse, and even suicide. Doctors have other specific risk factors, such as access to (and training in the use of) dangerous drugs, explaining why anaesthetists have higher rates of suicide than paediatricians.5

1 Like

I think they’re being compared with other professions too? Not the unemployed, disabled etc

I’m thinking that maybe when we look at suicide figures, we should look at suicide attempts, rather than deaths?

Because doctors etc have access to efficient suicide methods, their attempts are more likely to end in death. But the level of despair leading to people wanting to end their life is the same for people not having access to these methods?

You are right it’s by profession.

Imo being a doctor can be extremely harrowing , I don’t believe I could live with that pressure.
Yes doctors have access to drugs .
However medication and substances taken in quantity is also available to all.
Along with other life ending methods.

Must be harder being a trickcyclist than a GP though.

Being constantly told that the world will end tomorrow and global warming will eventually consume all within the world, especially those who drive diesels and turn their heating up.
OR that covid will keep recurring every year so wear masks, avoid contact with other people, have the vaccine every six months and stay at home.
OR It’s likely that the Russians are going to unleash a nuclear armageddon and we all will die a horrible slow death from radiation…
OR you will take drugs and resort to the dark web to escape the despair and fear that the MSM are brainwashing everyone with on a daily basis…
OR you can’t have a cigarette without been classed as an outcast or meet your mates down the pub and enjoy a pint without taking out a mortgage…That’s if you can find a pub that hasn’t closed.
Or the pollution will give you cancer or Asthma and you will die a slow lingering death unable to get a doctors appointment.

2 Likes

For a change, what about these things we’re being constantly told?

Don’t worry about tomorrow and your children. There won’t be any changes no matter how many people and livestock there are on our planet. The climate will always stay the same and the lifestyle of all people in the world will adjust to that of the rich because they show how people should live.

Covid is just an invention by ill-minded people. It’s like a cold and doesn’t affect anyone. Put the kettle on and carry on.

The Russians have always been our best friends. Never have they inflicted any harm on other peoples but had to fight foreign invaders like the Germans and, more recently, the Ukrainians who are, in fact, Russians. The Russian system and way of life set an example to other countries.

It’s reassuring, isn’t it, that right-wing populist propaganda is taking over in almost all countries. They know what’s good for people because they are the people. Deviating opinions are aberrations to be pitied.

It’s not understandable why there are some weird people who don’t enjoy a smoke and don’t even want to breathe the refreshingly clean air coming out of somebody else’s lungs.

There have been lots of people subscribing to a survival of the fittest humans. Those with problems should ask themselves why this is the case and keep their problems to themselves.

Wow! Dachs…
:open_mouth:
In my usual crude way I was trying to give some reasons why, not just Men, but more suicides in general, seemed to be occurring nowadays.
Back in the fifties and sixties when I was growing up (I know, harping back to the ‘Good old days’) suicide was relatively rare. Could this be down to two things? (1) Because it was rare or (2) Because we only got to hear about it either at work, school or in the pub. No 24 hour rolling easy accessible news in your back pocket in those days.
You left school and basically walked into any job you fancied. No pressure on the young folk to pass exams and go to university, leave at 21 with a Doctorship in something or other and drop into a well paid job. There is so much pressure on young people these days.
Even us oldies must keep up with the latest technical innovations, smartphones, computers, home automation, electric vehicles, online banking, or get left behind in the wilderness of society.
We worry about things that are global issues because we are told about them several times a day. Sure, they might be serious problems, but they are not our serious problems, and there is nothing neither you or me can do about them Dachs. I like to discuss this stuff, but lets not get too serious about it and take care of our own little corner of the world and consider for a moment what is wrong with the world…Just for a moment mind…
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Those may or not be reasons, but don’t overlook poverty, it’s still the main factor and social equality is down to our successive governments

1 Like

(1) In fact, it wasn’t rare - it was more common then than now:

More recently:

House of Commons - Suicide Statistics

3 Likes