Whose side are you on?

I personally don’t think she should have been excluded, but I sort of can see why they did, what do you think?

How would the other children have reacted?

That’s what I was thinking at first, but then thought to myself it’s common place to see people tattooed like that these days so they must be used to it, I’ve never known my grandkids ranging from 4-11 to ever comment on them, or be scared by it.

she’s gotta be a Christian, what’s the problem?

:crazy_face:

1 Like

I’m not entirely sure I believe the story. Banned from the pub, yes, probably

Banned from the school nativity? On what grounds, aren’t schools supposed to respect diversity, I just can’t see that happening?

Would they be allowed to punish the child and exclude the parent for her appearance. She hasn’t done anything illegal?

If you make yourself look unusual, you must expect people will react

But cynical old me thinks that selling this story might just be her way of making a couple of bob before Christmas :rofl:

1 Like

Not sure about this one really because some people love tattoos and others hate them. My adult nieces are covered in hideous bright tattoos, all over their legs and arms. They are mainly tattoos of buxom women, sailors, cats and cherries. They look very dated now as they had them done about 20 years ago. One is a teacher and has to keep them covered for work so wears sleeves and trousers or thick tights. Their parents hated them and thought they looked common but now they say “have you seen the latest tat?” i think some people find it very addictive and don’t know when to stop.

1 Like

Tattoos below the neck can for the most part be hidden when the need arises but short of wearing a balaclava and dark glasses these are in your face (or her face) all the time. Hate to think what she will look like When and if she gets to a ripe old age.

2 Likes

We are taught (especially our children) that in a woke world we must accept diversity and not criticise or stare, but to hell with that, I think she looks grotesque!

4 Likes

What is the purpose of tattooing oneself in such a prolific fashion? If it is to garner attention, then IMHO it is right to ask her to remove herself from being so noticeable in this situation. All attention should be on the children and the play, and not an egoist (if that it what she is :man_shrugging:)

2 Likes

Will she escape the bad skin clinic?

Seems to be self harming going on. One wonders about the mindset of those who are willing to add tattooes to her.

4 Likes

Yep, such stuff stinks maybe,

1 Like

After reading about the abuse this woman suffered from age 5 to 16 years old, when she felt forced to run away from home, my heart goes out to her.
I have fostered children who have been sexually abused by family members and some of the coping mechanisms they developed were very damaging to them and persisted into their adult life.

I do not like to see tattooed skin but I accept that many people do like tattoos.
Melissa’s tattoo “addiction” goes beyond a “preference” and does seem to be extreme enough to be classed as self-harm (as she describes it, it is an addiction) When I saw photos of her and her half-brother who abused her when they were children, I can understand why she may feel compelled to do what she does.
Whatever her reasons for all those tattoos, I think they should not be a reason for her to be barred from her childrens’ school plays or the local pub - looking at her face, most of her tattoos are hearts, flowers and crosses - no hate symbols that anyone could object to. If her tattoos are really the only reason that she is barred, then I do think it’s wrong.
However, maybe there is more to this story than the article mentions - if you Google this lady’s name, there are articles about her stretching back over the last year. It seems her brother was jailed for 21 years, sometime recently, in respect of 27 charges of sexual crimes against young children - maybe his recent trial has brought back a lot of painful memories for Melissa.
If Melissa has been restricted from school events or banned from the local pub, maybe it is not solely because of her tattoos? Maybe she exhibits other behaviours as a result of her traumatic childhood which are not socially acceptable?
I don’t say this as a “judgement” of her - more as an acknowledgement that childhood traumas of this kind can trigger deep and long-lasting scars and behavioural issues.

6 Likes

It looks like she already did, or they were closed when she went there!

She does but that doesn’t make her a bad person.

3 Likes

Not that old chestnut…
:roll_eyes:

Did you have a similar experience, but stuck it out?

Some compassion would go a long way, especially at this time of year, Foxy, I’m surprised at you for being so dismissive :frowning_face:

1 Like

I like tattoos but not too many. I don’t like seeing them all over someone running into each other, I feel each one needs space around it to be seen properly. There’s a guy at the pool I sometimes see and I feel he has far too many on his arms, you can’t make out what Individual ones are. But that’s just me, I have a couple of tattoos, one on each arm but that’s it, never wanted more. But in the end it’s down to each person’s likes.

2 Likes

I don’t like Tattoos, it’s so painful, going back.