Who was your craziest / most interesting teacher

Mine was year 10 Science Teacher Mr Mcgee, He was always encouraging us to think about every aspect of the world around us. To question everything.
He was always coming out with phrases such as, ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny?
And he often quoted Professor Julius Sumner Miller, “Why is it so?”

1 Like

Mr Evans
A dedicated angler and fly tyer.
He could be very robust in his style of teaching.

The last time I saw him was when the headmaster dimplomaticly ushered him out of the classroom, drink had been taken. Quite sad really…I liked Mr Evans .

1 Like

Miss Macaulay, one of many eccentric spinster teachers at our school

She used to get us to act out Shakespeare plays but if there was a rude word in it, she’d jump in and read that line herself, substituting “etc”

To this day the line I remember most from Romeo and Juliet was this one and us all waiting with baited breath to see if she would say the word :rofl: She didn’t!

Miss Macaulay’s version

“Romeo, that she were, O, that she were

An open-etc, or thou a popp’rin pear!

2 Likes

Fun memories there. :grinning:

2 Likes

There was one particular teacher…she’d sit on top of her desk.

We’d grab a front seat to see what colour slip she was wearing.

Ironically it was an RE lesson, not an entirely a new testament approach on our part.

3 Likes

Pinky White ,history teacher.Never knew his first name.He used to go into uncontrollable rages if someone dropped a pen or shuffled their feet,etc…Most of the time he was very interesting and amusing.I learnt later that he had been in the RAF during the war and discharged with an injury.

1 Like

One of my teachers was James Dyson’s Mum.

I do remember a music teacher who played the sitar and sat cross legged on the floor playing it. He was heavily influenced by the Beatles.

1 Like

I had a physics teacher who was super smart and demanding like a drill sergeant. I should not have been in that class. Put me off physics.

1 Like

We had an amazing English teacher, if i knew any jokes [he knew millions…lol] i had to tell the joke to the class, then he told a joke and if they laughed louder at mine than his i got the belt…lol and all my classmates hated me…obviously…lol… but if i had no jokes i had to hold my hand out above waist height and he would put a sixpence on the tip of my middle finger, then he would attempt to remove the sixpence with the belt without hitting the other fingers, if he failed, i got the sixpence… everyone in the class loved him, but sadly his name has fallen off my shelf…

1 Like

I had a lovely maths teacher who`s name was Mr Graham Leggasic,he was from Wales,he had the patience of a saint.

2 Likes

@Bretrick For me, my Latin mistress Margaret MacBain (spit & dribble). She had a way with her that actually made Latin interesting and not a drag like algebra. Another was John Ayres (Puffkin) the supreme music master who made the time thoroughly enjoyable. It was Puffkin who did the groundwork that made me the musician I am today.

1 Like

My favourite was Mrs Gabrielle Du Château. I had her for 5 years throughout secondary. Biology teacher, two years, arithmetic, one year and English teacher for 2 years.

Miss Decamps, 2nd grade primary was the worst. She hated my maternal grandparents due to incident during WWII. She took her bitterness out on me.

A replacement teacher for shorthand was evil incarnate. She ignored half students of every class, so, 75 of us, even though we were good, never made it into the secretarial services.

Geography teacher, the year after I lost my Father didn’t know anything about the three subjects she was supposed to teach. These were Geography, Astronomy and Meteorology.

I’d grown up reading the National Geographic Atlas. During a project given by the headteacher, I’d won first prize, out of the blue…

So, for the next 8 months, I was the substitute teacher (unpaid I might add) for the three classes she had. I’m happy to say that all 75 students passed with above C average. Once I graduated, during the summer, I received a letter offering a teaching certificate and a position in charge of these three subjects.

Mother wouldn’t hear of it as she wanted me to go work as a government employee.

2 Likes

Is good that site such as this allow memories to come to the fore and be shared with others.
Some teachers are great some not so great. Some have a very positive influence on students.

1 Like

Our headmaster was our Latin master.He had captained the Welsh rugby team and we were always trying to get him to talk about it rather than teach us the Latin.

2 Likes

He studiously stuck to the curriculum and you are a better person for it? :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes and owing to excessive modesty I have never received my due reward.(That’s what my mother said anyway.)

1 Like

Miss Escrit, she disliked me. She would flick chalk at girls who played up or throw the chalk eraser at them. We never got caned though. She taught needlework among other subjects & I was useless at it & wouldn’t try which is why she disliked me, when she got annoyed her knee caps would jump up & down in rage. I never took to her.
My favourite teacher was Mrs. Simms, she was young & taught cookery, she didn’t live far from me & some of us would go to her house & have tea & cake. Her husband was a nice man too.

1 Like

What a nice lady she was. Gave you some fond memories. Delicious cake as well. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

My art teacher

While all the other teachers drifted around in black graduation gowns and clarks lace ups , up in the art room was this sandal wearing loose shirt, baggy trousers and waistcoat wearing boho bohemian man :joy: .
My hero …

2 Likes

our main problem was ww1, yes in the early fifties most of the old ladies were Miss… simply because all the young men they would have expected to wed were slaughtered in the trenches, leading their men over the top, and tho non of them ever mentioned it, that fact soured their outlook on life, they were the university class and wouldnt be allowed to marry a coal miner nor a factory worker, at the time class was everything and very few of working class went to university. hense a generation of very intelligent ‘Misses’ genetics were lost and our countries gene pool suffered because of it…

3 Likes