Who was your craziest / most interesting teacher

Ah yes, now as for art … my dedicated art master was a chap by the name of Brian Winkworth (beads to us as he always said he had his beady eyes on us). He excelled when explanations were called for and as our old art room was the converted hay loft over what was once stables where Admiral Nelson left his horse while boffing Emma Hamilton in the hay loft above, he embellished most things to provide great interest from all of his pupils. He impressed me SO much, when in mid life as I hit 40 I purchased an ex RN Nelson Launch, I renamed her The Lady Emma until I eventually sold her to a Dutchman. Yes, beads certainly left. an impression on me :+1:

2 Likes

What a sad story, One which many of us, including myself, have never thought about.
Lost opportunities galore. :cry:

Not in our school but in the next town they had an infamous teacher called “Killer”
He use of sarcasm was lethal .Everyone liked him though.

2 Likes

I remember a young and newly qualified History teacher arriving at the school. She came from a poor area of London …… just remembered it was Bermondsey, and everything she taught us somehow got back to her upbringing.

She used to wear what was a “topless” dress which was fashionable only for a short time. This would be about 1968. It was like a mini pinafore dress but the front was cut down like a wide U shape under the boobs. Of course she couldn’t come to school topless (to the disappointment of the boys) so she wore skinny rib jumpers underneath but the boobs still stood out.
Her name was Miss Everson and as I am typing this The Tolpuddle Martyrs just came into my head! She must have taught us about them.

2 Likes

The Tolpuddle Martyrs were six agricultural labourers from the village of Tolpuddle in Dorset, England, who, in 1834, were convicted of swearing a secret oath as members of the Friendly Society of Agricultural Labourers. They were arrested on charges under an obscure act during a labour dispute against cutting wages before being convicted in R v Loveless and Others and sentenced to penal transportation to Australia. They were pardoned in 1836 after mass protests by sympathisers and support from Lord John Russell and returned to England between 1837 and 1839.

1 Like