Who remembers their very first job?

Happy memories of working at Sir Terence Conran’s design studios in Covent Garden. I spent most of my working days being sent out on errands, travelling in and around London. Met some very interesting people and saw so much of London life, much of it gone forever!

4 Likes

When my office moved to Leicester Square, I often used to go for a walk down Covent Garden during my lunch-break. I realise now after more than thirty years that I never really appreciated London life as much as I should have,but you never appreciate the place you live in usually, I suppose. “The grass is always greener on the other side”. :thinking:

3 Likes

Exactly so!
And as a seventeen year old I was very full of myself, quite arrogant really.
But that’s life, still have the memories!
I wasn’t all bad, I’d sometimes spend my lunch hour in The British Museum, who gets a lunch hour these days? :wink:

On Fridays I didn’t tend to visit The British Museum…

6 Likes

I think I recognize that pub. I wasn’t a frequent pub goer, I’ve never been in that one but I remember during the Summer, on very hot afternoons, there were always crowds of office workers outside a pub in Covent Garden, enjoying their lunch-hour drinks. That looks like the one! :astonished:

1 Like

It may well have been, Neal Street and Covent Garden was a very different place. The area had yet to become gentrified. There used to be a real mix of small independent businesses, bags of character!
I’d still recommend the pub though, it’s retained it’s historical character and there’s some low key extra seating upstairs for those in the know , you might even bump into William Terriss :wink:

1 Like

I was a photographer for the local paper. It was fun but didn’t pay well…so I went on to be an Egg Decorator.

3 Likes

Well, go then…do tell! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

There’s not much to say…I was at school doing photography and got a job on the paper. £2 a photo :roll_eyes: I was pretty rubbish at covering football matches because I kept missing the ball as I was busy watching the game! The Editor finally turned my photo’s into a “spot the ball” competition, so I left in the huff!

Went to a place that blew goose eggs and decorated them like Faberge eggs. Sold them to the posh shops in the big city

Like this but fake

3 Likes

Ah!..art fraud?
You’re nicked!!
Seriously though, that’s intriguing, any piccies of your work that you might feel inclined to share? :+1:

1 Like

It was pre-internet days I’m afraid so I don’t have anything to show for my efforts in the egg department :frowning:

Oh, but but…we didn’t pass it off as Faberge…it was just Feber-esque! :smile:

I still do photography, but I need to be here a while longer before I can post anything :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Understood :wink::+1:
We shell just have to be patient, it must be very eggsasperating!

I still have hopes of becoming a comedian :thinking:

5 Likes

Prospect of Whitby Pub (Wapping, London) - Adventure Clues.

1 Like

funny comedian gif

2 Likes

The “yolks” on you then… :laughing:

ahem I’ll stick to my own job…

3 Likes

Hey @Rose2 and @Chilliboot, early 80s I was working for a publisher based at the Swiss Centre, Leicester Sq. Used to go for drinks after work, especially on a Friday, to place around Soho/Covent Gdn. Small world.

1 Like

My first job was counting stock at a big retail store that my mum worked at. I was 14. From there I moved on to being a packer and then a cashier during school holidays and on the weekends at the same store.

4 Likes

My first job was also my last. I left school at eighteen and did a traditional five year engineering apprenticeship that included a HND Mechanical Engineering “thick sandwich” course, (Six months college, six months in industry for three years).

I then joined the test department and spent the next thirty-seven years testing mostly jet engines or parts thereof, plus the company Spitfire engine.

Here’s one I tested earlier. A Mark 104E RB199 engine as used in the UK EAP (Experimental Aircraft Programme) and the Eurofighter Typhoon.

6 Likes

You constantly got Fired Up then… :nerd_face:

3 Likes

I remember signing on :face_holding_back_tears:

3 Likes

Thank goodness for the benefit system.

2 Likes