Who remembers their very first job?

My first job was a paper round with W H Smith for which I received £1 a week. I can’t remember if I started in the 4th or 5th Form but every morning I walked there sorted my papers and delivered them before school.

Unfortunately my round was in the very middle class area of Folkestone so it was all broadsheet paper like The Times, The Telegraph and the Financial Times, how I envied the boys with rounds of Mirrors, Sun etc

2 Likes

Ha ha, I knocked the door silly, although if they did not give me a tip I was tempted lol

1 Like

@Bretrick My 1st job was kinda forced on me as a method of paying my Grandad back for buying my 250cc motorcycle 2nd hand. I needed it for travelling to and from college after leaving school rather than relying on erratic buses. Then as soon as I had passed my test, I got rid of the 250 and went straight for a Gold Star👍
That 1st part-time job was working for the family pawnbrokers as a collector and as I was well over 6ft at 16 and looked more 25ish, I suited the collector’s job in my leathers very well indeed most Saturday mornings. It was either that or work in the shop which was somewhat boring as the day wore on. Come evenings, then I was off out with my band playing for dosh :grin:
I can still hear the crackle of that 500’s single engine on a cold morning as I wound her up …nowt like it!
Typical Gold Star 500 :point_down:

6 Likes

I was that lad Bruce…At 14 I delivered the morning papers, Daily Herald, Daily Mirror, Sporting Life etc…I think the Sun was something else back in the sixties but my memory fails me… :017:
A South Yorkshire Pit Village was my patch. I nipped out of school at lunchtime on a Thursday to deliver the Gazettes, Radio Times, and some other weekly mags. After school I did the evening papers each night, and at the weekend a very large Sunday round, full of broadsheets and supplements…A very heavy bag indeed, so I earned as much on the one day doing the Sunday round as I did doing all the morning papers… :moneybag:
I saved hard and by the time I was 16 could afford my first motor cycle…A brand spanking new Honda 50… :motorcycle: Not as good as your BSA LongDriver…That would have been my next bike, but my Dad said I would kill myself on a bigger bike and lent me the money to buy my first motor car…A mini van…Never looked back…

4 Likes

Foxy, was that the SS50 or the Chicken Chaser?

1 Like

That piccie brings back so many memories. I had a Gold Star too but before that I was the proud owner of a Golden Flash. Sadly it had a sidecar glued to the side of it so that had to go. Not cool at all although many bikes had sidecars when I was a young biker. Hence my name on this site is EZ Rider.

2 Likes

I had one of these as a sixteener

2 Likes

Mine; was working for a leading distributor of confectionery and chocolate brands in Canada :chocolate_bar: :candy: :lollipop:

It was an OK job; it was great when we would get a free bag of candies for certain holidays.

3 Likes

Electrical engineering for me with various projects across the globe.

2 Likes

My first job in London, mid 70s, barman in the Roebuck Pub, Kings Road. Regulars included Malcolm McClaren and Johnnie Rotten.

4 Likes

I certainly do. Started as an apprentice in a large energy company and retired from it nearly two years ago after forty odd years having had many different roles within it.

3 Likes

I was 16 & went to work in a Newmarket racing stable, wasn’t good enough & sent home. Then got a job in a riding stable in Kingston & stayed there for 5 years.

4 Likes

A factory at 15 years old. Making and mounting tag strips to a chassis in telephone answering machines. They had valves, magnetic tape, parts that moved …and even string (they liked to call it ‘cord’).

4 Likes

Mine was that of a gondolier and park guide in a not-too-far-away English landscape garden. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Gondola

3 Likes

Chicken Chaser I’m afraid Spitty. Went to the coast on it most weekends with the lads…One of them rode the SS50 and I would have loved one of those, or better still the SS90 sport…They seemed like big bikes back in those days…
:motorcycle:

I’ve got a photo somewhere I’ll find it out and post it…

2 Likes

I was 15, i was a junior clerk in a builders merchants ……

3 Likes

I did paper rounds aged 13, in the local hospitals …

2 Likes

Snap! Well sort of - I had a BSA B31 (350cc) and a B33 (500cc) just not as posh as the Gold Star probably but basically the same bike, the bottom end was the same for all of them only the piston and pot were different as I remember them. I think the rear suspension might have been different too.

I like the sound of a single, one power stroke every lamp post.

I only recently threw away the tool for removing something (a cog?) off the drive chain(?) to the magneto. (I liked magnetos, they either worked or they didn’t)

All pre unit construction so separate engine and gearbox as god intended.

2 Likes

An office job in London - Piccadilly, I had just turned 18. It was easy to find work in the 80s.

4 Likes

It was 1964 and I was 15 years old and left home to be a trainee kennel maid in a famous kennel of Airedale and Lakeland terriers.

I was paid £1 a week and my keep (a shared bedroom and a ration of food) with half a day a week off and and a whole day once a month. A days work was 6am to 6pm also night duties during whelping and puppy feeding .
Can’t see many doing that these days.

5 Likes