Who remembers the 70's Style?

Predominate Colour? Orange
Predominate Food? Pre Packaged Frozen
Women’s Fashion? Pantsuits with Silk Bow Blouses
Men’s Fashion? Flares and Platform Shoes
Gaudy Wallpaper
Cask Wine
Fired Spam and Eggs(I remember loving Fried Spam)
Disco Music
Helen Reddy song, I am Woman

2 Likes

I’ve never thought there was much style in the 70’s :grinning:
As your list seems to confirm.

Something good came out of it though. IMO
Record companies were prepared to give bands more time in the studio which gave us lots of good LP’s.

1 Like

I was just trying to find my own mojo [style] surrounded by so much confusion ; silks and leathers and haircuts etc - I had been brought up rather conservative style - NO bright colors ; NO flowery shirts ; NO long haircuts or short ones : but it was awash and exciting but confusing to choose from?

1 Like

I certainly was right into the Flares, Platform Shoes, Floral Shirts, Lave Lamps, Cask Wine, Disco…

Same here. My Grandmother raised me and she was sooo conservative and preachy.
Only when I earned my first pay check at 15 was I able to immerse myself into the 70s.

1 Like

Because of the bikes it was always jeans and a leather jacket for me.Flares wouldn’t have been very practical anyway.

1 Like

Pink plastic flamingoes by the fireside!
The (Cannon) “Gas Miser” gas fire! (Never worn by me, though!)
Kipper ties!
Jacquard patterned tank-tops!
Sideburns! (Guilty!)
Furry Dice (they had their own anti-cruelty association).
2 inch, studded belts. (I wore only the 3 lines of studs versions, of course!)

1 Like

I do.
As for men there were basically two fashion lines over here: you were either wearing the “Disco Look” , predominantly epitomised by the John-Travolta-style with the shirt collar worn outside the suit lapel, later revived by Brad Pitt in Ocean’s Eleven. A style I could never bring myself to wear. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Alternatively, clothes with"psychedelic" patterns were worn with clogs and plateau shoes.

The other camp wore jeans, preferable worn-out Levi’s, often the 501 or 507 to go with a T-shirt and a genuine US-Army parka or field jacket the most popular being a washed M65.

I happen to have a couple of pics from the 1970s in a drawer by my desk and looking at them I realise, though, that I was wearing a black shirt and the like and bell-bottom blue jeans. Would have loved to wear a M65 but couldn’t get hold of one under the circumstances. Later I also wore dungarees.

3 Likes

Platform shoes with different colour panels on the leather uppers
Ankh pendants
Foster Grant Mirrored aviator sunglasses
Those flared trousers with the deep waistband that had three fastening buttons and pockets on the sides of the legs.

Affordable vinyl with politically incorrect pictures on the front to spend your pocket money on in Woolworths.

Oh yeah… did I mention pocket money?
Better add pocket money to the list :wink:

1 Like

I got two and six a week.
Made it up with a paper round .

2 Likes

My style was denim and desert boots, at least that’s what I remember. Reefers and scrumpy cider, the Blues.

1 Like

karmann Ghia corduroy Jeans, cool man.

1 Like

And lets not forget the feather cut.

1 Like

The Mullet!

1 Like

IMG_1242

2 Likes

How’s the saying go? Groovy :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Very loud!
I’m not talking about their music I’m referring to the suits. If I look at this picture for any longer be it’ll be time for a couple of paracetamol.

Mind you, it might be worth cranking up the volume for Crazy Horses… I don’t suppose that song would work for electric cars.

3 Likes

I still love fried spam Bretrick, I’ve not given up on that one :wink:

1 Like

It was a decade of distaste, hard to understand how they could dress like that, which I cringe at today.

3 Likes

Isn’t that the Osmond brothers?
That is some fashion clash going on.

2 Likes

I agree Dachs, and yet I love it! I’ve harboured the fantasy of putting together a 70s room for some time now. Authentic carpets, furnishings, decor, magazines the lot… ain’t going to happen but what a fantasy!

2 Likes