Who remembers Chilblains?

I went through hell with these as a child - on my fingers and toes. In Winter our housekeeper used to send me off to school with fingers and toes wrapped in pink/orange fluffy stuff named Thermogene Wadding. Can’t remember if it was to prevent them or to make them better - I do remember it smelled awful!

Do people still have chilblains? Haven’t heard them mentioned for years.

1 Like

Does peripheral neuropathy/Reynaud’s in the feet count? Wow that hurts when the circulation returns🤬

1 Like

Blimey!
That brings back memories.
My Nan used to warn me that I’d get chilblains if I walked around the house in bare feet.
That was when I was a very small child back in the 60’s.
I had no idea what chilblains were then and I have to say I’m none the wiser today.

I had terrible chilblains as a child and no wonder all those hours I spend waiting for buses to go to school . I never seemed to have warm shoes and socks .

1 Like

I knew them well. Maybe milder weather nowadays? I used to have scarves, mittens and Balaclava. at school. Not now.

One of my overwhelming memories of childhood was being cold ., the school was cold . We were not allowed to stay inside during break despite the weather . Our house was cold we had a coal fire which you roasted in front and froze behind .

1 Like

What do you use now then when you are at school?! :joy:

I don’t think I have ever had chilblains. When I lived in the north, the winters were harsh and the frost was an inch think on the inside of the windows, but I don’t recall feeling…oh wait, I just looked up what Chilblains are on NHS website. Yes, itchy toes in front of the fire I remember…

1 Like

My wife gives me a spanking to warm me up…

2 Likes

I used to have mittens, they were attached to a length of elastic running through the arms of my duffle coat so I wouldn’t lose them.
I’d question the wisdom of donning a balaclava in 2022 :wink:
Times have changed!

2 Likes

I had them as well :roll_eyes: so annoying!

2 Likes

Actually I find this thread quite upsetting remembering the child that I was so often frozen with cold .
Probably accounts for my love of heat and hot lands now .

1 Like

Yes, remember them well, ouch.

I’m beginning to feel that I’ve missed out on something :wink:

Trust me - you haven’t! :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

If I’m not careful I still get chilblains in the winter , the burning and itching is awful . There used to be something called snowfire I could buy it was very good and helped clear them , not seen it for a long while . I now wear warm socks also in bed if it’s very cold . I think it may be to do with bad circulation to feet and fingers .

Amazon is your friend!

1 Like

I have heard of them but don’t think I have ever had them.

You haven’t missed much, Bruce!

Never seen a chilblain. I had never seen a bunion either until about 3 years ago and was horrified because I had no idea they could be so enormous. obviously I had heard of them but a woman I know had some sandals on and out of the side of the straps was this massive lump and I mean massive! She said she usually kept them covered but on the rare occasions she buys sandals she has to ensure the straps are in the right place so they allow the bunion to poke out. I felt so sorry for her as she says they are painful as well as unsightly.