Who likes marmite?

Certainly. Spread nice and thick on toast (no butter), or on slices of tiger bread.
Good with cheese on toast, too.

2 Likes

In those days our toast was done on a three-pronged toasting fork in front of a coal fire.
We also had crumpets toasted the same way, not that I have ever liked those.
:slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Three-pronged? By eck, you were posh. What’s wrong with using an ordinary fork? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Ordinary forks are just a little too short to prevent burning your hands, the coal fires in those days were quite something, they had to be as it was the only form of heating! That three-pronged fork we had was home-made by my father, I can visualise it now and that was probably nearly seven decades ago. Far from us being ‘posh’ it was after WWII and we lived in a council prefab, do you remember those Judd? Big enough for a family of four and with a massive garden, used by my father for growing all the fruit and veg. we required.
:grinning:

1 Like

Aye, I remember coal fires - it was my job to mend them in the morning and get it going, (the old shovel and newspaper technique) so we could have some heat and hot water. Ours was a council house on a large estate (rough and run down now), but there were some pre-cast concrete prefabs in another part of town. Warm in summer, bleedin’ freezing in winter. We had an allotment too - must have been a prerequisite for council houses.

P.S. Only teasing about the fork.

1 Like

Ooh, I love these stories. More like this please. Maybe in another thread? Either way, so fascinating! :slight_smile:

Beef dripping was firmer and had more flavour than pork dripping - you could buy drip bread for an old penny a slice at a greasy spoon.

I’m all nostalgic now. :frowning_face:

1 Like

They used to call it au jus, just to make is fancier, I think. Which is hilarious since it was from Woolworth.

Well I’m blowed. I never knew Marmite contained MSG. I’ve just Googled it and discovered it contains a shedload of the stuff. No wonder it affects you LD.

1 Like

Unfortunately, many food products add MSG under the heading ‘permitted additives’ and also many of the yeast extracts have the permitted additives. I only found this out from our local NHS dietitian when I consulted her about the GI values of various foods.

One thing that surprised me when I read the Google responses was that MSG is present in mothers’ milk. It’s also present in relatively high quantities in parmesan cheese (now, I know there is nothing like MSG added to the cheese making process so this could only come of the milk used).

It’s probably the glutamic acid content which is in so many natural foods and all pass into any lactating female’s milk ducts and maybe it’s detected as MSG which is all too easy. I doubt it makes little difference to a feeding infant, but to those like me with an intolerance, it would cause problems. More problems are the ‘food extenders’ which are used to bulk out the original food item and again they come under the heading of permitted in the listing.

Love it since a baby… no wonder i have high blood pressure. Still eat it.

1 Like

Went there and immediately wanted to try SAINSBURYS THAI SWEET CHILLI CRISPS TASTE. Sounds good! :grinning:

3 Likes

They are…!

1 Like

Looked up Marmite and uh yuck… :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting:
download (1)
More my speed.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat :canoe:

2 Likes

Interesting. I didn’t find those on that site. But I found these on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Lays-Sensations-Sweet-Chilli-Chips/dp/B00LUI9278

HOW much??? :astonished:

No, no, no… :018: A packet of crisps (or chips) costs less than £1.00 over here.

I love marmite, especially a marmite & peanut butter sandwich.