Who do you think will become the new Tory party leader?

Oh that would be a happy day! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Article worth reading I especially liked this bit:

perhaps some who in the last few weeks wielded one of the knives - looking at their leader whether it is Liz Truss, Rishi Sunak and Penny Mordaunt and thinking they need replacing.

You can hear the conversation now.

MP A: “What we need is a Prime Minister who is charismatic, can get things done and win us a big election. One with Conservative values preferably.”

MP B: “Well of course we had one of those and kicked him out.”

Pause.

MP A: “Well Boris did get Brexit done, he did lead us through the pandemic with the fastest vaccine rollout in the world and he did unite the international community over Ukraine.”

MP B: “Don’t forget he won us an 80 seat majority, the biggest since Margaret Thatcher in 1987.”

MP A: “Did we make a mistake?”

MP B: “Yeah but remember Partygate. Didn’t he lie or something?”

MP A: “Party smartygate! He was a politician of course he lied! We need Boris back! I’ve got a seat to win.”

2 Likes

Just seen Liz Truss being interviewed and she came across very well today.

Also been reading that people want Boris back. That would be the best outcome for me. :+1:

3 Likes

I saw this about a younger Liz Truss who approved of banning the monarchy…

1 Like

So what? That was nearly 30 years ago. 30 years ago I thought I knew everything and was voting Labour! Never in a million years would I vote for them now. :rofl::rofl:

For me it started with abolishing Grammar schools.
252 mines closed
Sold hospitals and signed over 100 PFI contracts
introduced bedroom tax
Brought in disability assessments
brought in tuition fees
Created zero hours contracts
And then Blair and all his lies about weapons of mass destruction which resulted in the Iraq war. he should be done for war crimes but is instead living the life of a multi millionaire with one of his sons even richer than he is!

3 Likes

I agree…and there’s a lot more I would add to this list too, but it would need a thread of its own I think!

Getting back on track though…I thought Rishi’s celebration of his recent win was quite appalling. This isn’t a football match!

1 Like

I can’t see that Rishi did anything wrong in that video.

It was mostly Rishi celebrating with his campaign team and thanking them all for getting him over the line and into the final two.

1 Like

Well, perhaps appalling was too strong a word. I just loath the fist pump gesture anyway and think its a bit uncouth for a potential leader. :woman_shrugging: A bit more decorum wouldn’t have gone amiss. Just my opinion, thats all. :smiley:

4 Likes

I think our Border Terrier “Teazle” should be the next PM, she has got more sense than all the politicians put together

2 Likes

I see that Liz Truss has certainly ruffled a few feathers in the area where she grew up, by slagging off her education.

When she said she had grown up in the heart of the red wall, it gave me the impression that she must have grown up in some downbeat poor neglected area, controlled by Labour, and that is why she eventually made her way to being Conservative, via the LibDems.
It made me smile to discover that the “terrible school” she described and the place where she grew up was in Roundhay, which is in a Constituency that was held by a Conservative MP for the whole time Liz lived there and Conservative Councillors when she was at school there.

Methinks she is exaggerating a tad - projecting the image of growing up in the school of hard knocks for political expediency :wink:

It’s strange how differently other people who attended the same school at the same time remember it - I did find one journalist writing in The Telegraph who remembered it the way Liz does but lots of other folk remember it differently - maybe their different memories are coloured by their political views. :wink:

1 Like

But when you compare it with all the vulgar lack of decorum over the years from Johnson, even in his final PMQs, that his devotees apparently love him for, condemning Rishi for this is surely a bit harsh!

2 Likes

It could be worse, we could get someone like Sleepy Joe Biden…
:open_mouth:

2 Likes

Yes, yes, alright, its a personal bugbear of mine is the fist pump, never mind…I was going to add something along those lines but I felt it would be off on a tangent. They are all lacking in decorum.

1 Like

From mail I’ve received for up t’north, knifing BJ will have lost the Tories the next GE. All say the same … they voted for BJ and not the party in general.

3 Likes

Who can you name amongst MPs both Labour and Conservative who possess decorum?

2 Likes

1 Like

I agree with you Pixie, fist pumping should be reserved for athletes because they have done something worthy of praise. A bit childish when a politician does it, we expect better.

1 Like

I don’t consider Rees-Mogg shows decorum - he is frequently unpleasantly sarcastic - and lounging on the front bench with your eyes closed in the House of Commons during a key debate whilst another MP is speaking is not a sign of “decorum” - it is downright rude!

2 Likes

Exactly. And Rees-Smugg (I actually dislike name calling but in this case it is less abusive and more simply descriptive) is not a man for stepping up to the leadership role. He would much rather be the chap behind, manipulating the person in front. I think he might have learnt that technique at private boys school.

1 Like

I am getting more confident that it will either be Liz Truss or Rishi Sunak.

Laughing So Hard Smiley

1 Like