Who do you think will become the new Tory party leader?

lol Pixie how has Rishi caused the inflation.

1 Like

Rishi was the Chancellor…the money guy. HIs responsibility was

Responsibilities

The Chancellor of the Exchequer is the government’s chief financial minister and as such is responsible for raising revenue through taxation or borrowing and for controlling public spending. He has overall responsibility for the work of the Treasury.

The Chancellor’s responsibilities cover:

• fiscal policy (including the presenting of the annual Budget)
  • monetary policy, setting inflation targets
  • ministerial arrangements (in his role as Second Lord of the Treasury)
  • overall responsibility for the Treasury’s response to COVID-19

Taken from

1 Like

Oh no sorry guys I can’t give you furlough or give any money to prevent Putin causing a war with Europe because I’ve got to control inflation.

1 Like

I’m just answering your question…:woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Why does it take so long? Our PM can resign in the morning, be replaced by the afternoon and visit the GG to be sworn in the next morning.

Rudd
Gillard
Rudd
Abbot
Turnbull
Scotty from Marketing

All Prime Ministers all out on their ear.

1 Like

Incredibly racist, I’m a bad girl, but did anyone read the Billy Bunter books when they were a kid? :open_mouth:

1 Like

Azz, you didn’t include a “Haven’t made my mind up yet” box on the original poll.

Having watched the 1st TV debate and read what’s being reported in a couple of today’s newspapers, can I take my vote back please? I’d like to put it in the “Haven’t made my mind up yet” box. :rofl:

1 Like

Rather than not having made my mind up it seems clear that the response after that TV debate is “could you come back with some other options please”

1 Like

You can change your vote Percy :smiley:

Just go back to the top and then click on show vote then just change it to whatever you like :003:

Personally I don’t think I will need to change my vote, they’re all useless :lol:

1 Like

If I had a vote and I don’t I wouldn’t be giving it to people like Truss and Sunak who sat back while a lying narcissist was allowed to do as he pleased and spoiled our country’s hard won reputation for honesty and fair play.

Of the other three Badenoch is naive and inexperienced with some strange views,
Mordant and Tugandhat are less tainted by BJ.

I am very disillusioned by parliament as a whole, thank goodness for the select committee’s who seem to do the main day to day work in Parliament.

1 Like

Both were worse than useless on the Sunday Morning show this morning.

2 Likes

Oh, I don’t know, Tugendhat should be remembered forever for that classic shake of the head when he was asked if Johnson is an honest man :+1:

2 Likes

I agree Meg - I think the whole system is messed up and needs a rethink from the ground up.

Fancy running for leader? I’m sure you and Mags would get plenty of votes :003:

Maybe we should create fictitious political parties here on the forum and see what policies everyone would come up with :lol:

3 Likes

It really is a no brainier with such poor choices it has to be Sunak
Of course if the Tories want a real no brainier they can vote for Liz Truss

1 Like

Watching this Leadership Contest has highlighted to me that the Tory Party MPs are fundamentally split in their ideology.
My own opinion of this was underlined earlier today when I saw Suella Braverman being interviewed - she was categorising the remaining Candidates as to whether they were right-leaning enough and dismissing Sunak as being “too far to the left”

Over the years, we have seen other political parties have these kind of splits in their ideology - as one group in a Party move towards one extreme or the other, there is always in-fighting between the moderates and the ones who are pushing the party away from their original centre.
It gets more and more difficult to paper over the cracks and present a United front.

I often wish that the moderates from all parties would get together and form a Moderate Party!

I seem to remember that being tried before, when some MPs left Labour and formed a more centrist / centre-left SDP

Maybe one day, the Tory Party will find they are so split, some will split off to form a Centre-Right /Socially liberal party and leave the extreme Right to those who keep wanting to pull it that way?

Just a few musings on the way the political parties have changed over the decades.

1 Like

Mr M thinks they will elect Liz Truss as so many don’t like Sunak .
God forbid .

2 Likes

I echo that…but I don’t know that Rishi will be any better. Although I did think the path had already been paved for him, it just took a while.

1 Like

Now the Candidates have been whittled down to two, I’ve finally been able to cast my vote for Poll No 2 in the OP - it’s a no brainer for me if the alternative is Liz Truss.
Both Candidates supported the former PM for long enough and they were both in the Cabinet of Boris Johnson’s Government - so like most political choices, it looks as if it’s come down to a choice of Right vs Left.

It seems ludicrous to use the term “left” for an internal Tory Contest but there was a definite Right / Left grouping of the candidates.

I still haven’t voted in Poll Number 1 because I find it impossible to work out how the minds of Tory Party members work - it is difficult to guess how the Tory membership will vote without knowing if the majority of their membership favour the really right wing side of the party or the centre position.
From the comments I’ve seen in my immediate local area, the staunch Tories will favour Rishi Sunak - but looking at the Conservative Home website, I’m thinking that maybe the Tory membership is leaning more to the far right of the party and they are the group that Truss and her supporters seem to be appealing to.

2 Likes

Mixed feelings for me.

I think if the party members vote for Liz Truss, then she will be so bad and make so many mistakes that it will doom the Tory party for a long time

And a doomed Tory party would be great for all our futures and the future of our country

But I don’t want to condemn us to the damage she would do in the few months of her misrule. Including very probably taking us into a Third World War

So I sort of hope Sunak gets it, useless out of touch plonker that he is

I don’t think the party members will vote for him though, he’s not promising enough freebies on tax to the chumocracy, he’s too rich, too connected to the Johnson era and possibly the wrong colour for a few of them

3 Likes

Well I can see an early GE …and them losing it :lol:

1 Like